Officially Licensed: G.I.JOE Products by UD Replicas. One More Time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Officially Licensed: G.I.JOE Retaliation - FULL Snake Eyes 4/14

So much for a "few weeks" =\ Three months later and they haven't said a word.

So much for a "few weeks" =\ Three months later and they haven't said a word.

True, and let me add that we're having Gentle Giant Studios produce them on our behalf, and they're as big as they come....and if they're needing time to finish them properly, simply put...I'm going to give it to them. This will be our first helmet release and they have to be perfect.
Yes, I too would have preferred that they be already in Pre Sale by this time but if there's one thing I've learned in these last few years - it's NOT that you can't rush perfection....but that you easily screw things up if they're not given the proper time to develop. By that, yes...they have to be perfect. Not rushed, not improvised...simply put they must be Perfect. As such we need a little more time.
We've released dozens of new products, and delivered as many since announcing these helmets so it's not like we're not doing our job....but once we completed the helmet prototypes we then passed the project on to GGS because that's what they do....and they'll nail them perfectly once ready. :thumbsup

David

Thanks for the update David! We just get impatient about cool stuff, don't worry :cool

Thanks for the update David! We just get impatient about cool stuff, don't worry :cool

Trust me, you and me both!!!
With our clothing we have total control over all aspects of production. Everything from weaving the fabrics to tanning of the leather from its raw state. The only thing we don't make are the zippers and buttons...so in that respect we can carefully plan out a 12 month calendar year and usually manage to stay true to it 'for the most part'...so it's not often that we're late on product deliveries and if we are it can be around a week or so. What I'm getting at is OUR production is under our direct control.

With these helmets, they're now - and have been for some time - in the hands of Gentle Giant Studios who are very capable...but they're not your typical helmets so even they need to move with care in their production. While we are working together, UD Replicas is not a helmet or prop manufacturer...but naturally we are taking advantage of this opportunity and in doing so went to the best in the business to get the job done.

All that said I've seen their work and these are going to be amazing....in every sense of the word they're simply beautiful an every bit identical to the real ones used on film and that kind of attention to detail isn't easy...and we all want them to be perfect. It shouldn't be much longer though. :thumbsup

In the meantime let me leave you all with this little gem from one of our customers Dan.... :cool

"I LOVE this jacket (and it's accompanying components) so much I can't even.....WORDS. *bites lip* SO. MUCH. SQUEE. Soooooooooon. Thanks again UDreplicas, and keep up the awesome work."

10689547_10154534150700076_3722893222609583702_n.jpg

David

This, entirely. I had just gotten my hopes up that I'd have the matching helmet to go with the suit. =p

That is slick! Stuff like this really makes it harder to stick to only collecting SW!

STORMSHADOW from GI. JOE: Retaliation Pre-Orders Open By End of September!!

...or as Matthew McConaughey would say..."Well all white, all white....All-White - Leather!"

10615518_10154559841875076_4003999454647463606_n.jpg

David

Very nice David. Kudo's to you and your crew!

Just saw that on facebook - gorgeous! Is the fit going to be like the Snake Eyes suit? I'm really hoping to be able to get in on one by the second preorder run, fingers crossed

Just saw that on facebook - gorgeous! Is the fit going to be like the Snake Eyes suit? I'm really hoping to be able to get in on one by the second preorder run, fingers crossed

Yes, the fit will be exact to the Snake Eyes suit...which is our standard chart fit anyhow. XXS-XXL. :thumbsup

David

Just got FedEx tracking email! Snake Eyes is due to arrive on 9/20!

So stoked! Thanks for making a childhood dream come true, David....yet again!

Re: Officially Licensed: G.I.JOE Retaliation -Snake Eyes Q3 shipping now!

Just received my Snake Eyes suit on 9/15! As that was my B-Day, it was a perfect way to celebrate my day! The suit is AWESOME! THANKS DAVID! (y)cool

Now if we could just get the matching helmet up for pre-order soon, I'd be all set!

UD replicas impressive as usual. I like the red glow tron suit!

Yep, got my notice yesterday, mine arrives tomorrow!

Just got mine today and wow is it ever a perfect fit! I'll take this over my old Scorpion gear any day! Nice padded packaging and everything. David, you're awesome! I'll have to post a more thorough review later
image.jpg
Also, fyi, the rigger belt does fit!

Last edited:

The wait on this helmet is killing me! Could anyone give me an estimate on the Commander helmet? I'll accept PM
;)

I want to know which college fund I will be dipping from.

Just got mine today and wow is it ever a perfect fit! I'll take this over my old Scorpion gear any day! Nice padded packaging and everything. David, you're awesome! I'll have to post a more thorough review later
View attachment 378053
Also, fyi, the rigger belt does fit!

Awesome to hear and thanks for the business. Great pic too!!!
Reviews are pouring in from all over and I'm excited to read yours as well.

Pushing for some new - and hopefully definitive helmet updates.

David

Same here, perfect fit on the jacket, gloves and boots:thumbsup. The pants are a bit snug with the jacket tail tucked in though, still a great suit all around. Can't wait to get in line for the helmet as I'm sure it'll be just as top notch.

Bravo David!

Ok, proper review time - this is my first UD Replicas piece, so I can't refer to any others, but I have had bike leathers and done quite a bit of research into the suit, so that's where I'm coming from. Overall, from a rider's standpoint, I'd say build quality, safety & price are pretty comparable to Scorpion - though, quite a bit more awesome. I think I'll go one piece at a time:

Jacket:
Fit - This is a very comfortable jacket - typical stiffness and smell that you get from a new leather bike jacket, so thats no big deal. Because the sizes are 'heroic' (and Ray Park is a huge, wide dude), these jackets run a little big - I'm usually a medium, but I run a small in this jacket. Normally, I'd worry about the torso length and sleeve length, but from the original length of the jacket and the width of the shoulders, it actually fits me without any issues.
Usability - The large armor pieces attach via velcro and are held in place by the shoulder leather which snaps in on both sides. Though, the arm armor is riveted in place, so don't expect to be able to or need to move it around. The abdomen piece with the buckles velcros down and zips in on both sides - this hides the main zipper, but it is a little tricky with all the arm armor. But that means its all quite secure and I expect it would even hold up well in a crash. Speaking of, there is proper CE-rated moto armor which is pretty decent. Cosplayers probably don't need it, but matches pretty good to other jackets. There is also a sleeveless liner for cold weather that zips out. Its a pretty warm jacket, might be a tad heavy for hot days, but so far its been breathing ok for the amount of layers on it.
Accuracy - Generally, there are a few changes from the original piece, but all done for the purposes of making it a usable bike jacket. The armor is leather rather than any cast pieces, so there are a few small detail differences, mainly in the chest - but you have to look pretty close. The collar is also more of a moto jacket collar, but from reference pictures, there was some variation in collars and some details in scenes, so it doesn't bother me much. I may build it up a little later, though. All the colors and patterns are spot on, even small details in the chest by the buckles. The shoulder armor pieces do tend to sit inside of the bicep armor, but I'm sure a bit longer break-in period and it'll sit nicely. And yes, it does tuck into the pants just fine - gotta loosen the belt a tad or it bunches in the front, though.

Pants:
Fit - Really comfortable, actually - much better than the Scorpion pants I used to have. I normally wear a large (34/34) and these in large fit me very well. There aren't any adjustment straps like you may find in standard moto pants, but these can be tailored.
Usability - Solid heavy-weight material, feels kinda like canvas, not quite cordura. Not sure the abrasion resistance, but should survive a crash. Standard CE-rated knee and hip armor too. Oh, here's a pic of the armor - not too shabby!
IMG_2987.JPG
Accuracy - Colors and patterns match reference pictures, and the belt loops do fit the 1" Pantel Rigger Belt perfectly. You have to undo the buckle to lace it, but it fits, honest!

Gloves:
Fit - Comfortable, very typical moto glove fit. Reminds me of a pair of Joe Rocket gloves I had once. I've got long, narrow hands so I typically go with an XL glove - worked just fine this time. Light, breathes nice, good grip.
Usability - Typical light moto glove armor and padding, should survive a crash fine. Its a little light for my preference, but I think my Knox Handroid gloves were 'enough' :D
Accuracy - Again, color & pattern are a match for reference pictures. Very very close to the O'neals

Boots:
Fit - Surprisingly comfortable, actually. I wear a 12 US boot and they fit spot on with my other boots, with a more comfortable insole than is typical.
Usability - The leather is a little thin, though that makes them pleasantly light - style is comparable to maybe a cruiser-style boot. You're not gonna get fancy straps or ankle protection, but thats not the style of boot they are. Sole is a pretty typical style, insole is good, breathability isn't bad either- I'll have to report back more after I break them in and put some miles on them.
Accuracy - Color looks good, though black is black - the pattern on the lace cover is spot on, as is the way its riveted and strapped on. There are some small differences in the stitching, the back of the ankle padding and the sole, but 90% of that is hidden by the pant cuff and presumably all of that is under some pile of Oakley patents. Might even last longer than the notoriously short-lived Oakleys too!

Overall, I'd call it a good buy for riding gear and a great replica. I honestly don't think I could really ask for more in a replica, especially not for one that pulls double-duty. Totally worth the wait and then some. I'll put up some more pictures once I've got the harness attached - man that makes me nervous.. think you could sell me a spare pair of leather shoulder pieces, David? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back