New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

ok, so I have questions, not trying to nit pick nor will it stop a purchase either, but

1. Is the crackle pattern exactly accurate or did you modify it slightly? I though I read that it was slightly changed earlier in the thread, but wanted to make sure.

2. Since the slider channel is shorter does that mean it is a little shorter than the real one when fully extended?

oh my god I love this sonic!!! But I'm sure the people at the movie theater candy counter with 10+ plasma screens behind them don't like it :) Mwahahahaha!!

I turned them back on after a few seconds. I'm not evil. :)

Next stop... best buy boxing day!!

I turned off the TV at the bar last night and a group of people watching wrestling thought it went off on its own accord, which made it that much more magical when I turned it back on as I was walking out the door. As I was leaving one of them says "Wait, was that a sonic screwdriver!?" I think they thought I "fixed" it, hahaha...priceless.

My MFX is special to me and I will never get rid of it because of the fact that my father helped me get it. He let me put it on his credit card so that my wife would not ask..."You spent $500.00 on a flashlight?" I paid his card off a few weeks later after a couple eBay sales. He's gone now, but the memory of it still brings a tear and a smile!

It's often the sentimental value that matters most and the memory it brings. :)

I took the sonic apart to the extent you can see in the picture. Unfortunately, I did scratch the collar and end piece a little. I had to clean up the aluminium, which removed the anodising. You can see the difference between the head which is still anodised and the rest of the sonic.
I sanded down the body to remove the texture. It’s not very deep and doesn’t affect the diameter much.
The paint I used was Plasitkote colony cream with a gold base coat.
http://www.tobor2.com/temp/wcsonics007.jpg

You guys are geniuses, I absolutely love the conversion, brilliant job Tobor, a truly lovely piece of work, simple and very neat.

ok, so I have questions, not trying to nit pick nor will it stop a purchase either, but

1. Is the crackle pattern exactly accurate or did you modify it slightly? I though I read that it was slightly changed earlier in the thread, but wanted to make sure.

2. Since the slider channel is shorter does that mean it is a little shorter than the real one when fully extended?

Hi, yes we had to change it slightly. Basically we took about 20 pictures of the real prop as square on to the camera as possible and each one rotated by one 20th so as to cover the whole body. Then I put the images into photoshop and corrected them slightly for perspective and stitched them together to make a flat image of the crackle glaze pattern. Then I imported this into Illustrator and drew round every crackle. Not just with one line though, because the cracks are all different widths, so I traced round each crackle "island". We had always decided to make a slightly idealised version of the real prop without the screws that hold the main body to the top collar and the tail piece, as we didn't need them and also in the prop they are painted, which we assumed was to try and hide them, so we felt that it would be ok to leave them out. This meant that I had to make up some crackles to go over where the screw heads are in the real prop. They are quite big screws for the size of the prop (about 3 or 4 mm across). So in those areas the crackle glaze is made up.

Then we had a metal block made with the crackle artwork etched into it to make sure that the pattern didn't look stupid, took a paint coat ok and also to work out the correct depth of etching. (note: etching into a mould is a different process and makes the crackles look different to the way that real paint cracks that appear during the paint process, in that the side walls of the crackle lines have to be sloping in a vee shape rather than straight sided, which means that for a given width of crackle line, there will be less grey infill than on the painted version, making each line look smaller in the moulded version for the same width.)

I then rubbed white emulsion paint into the cracks to see how well they performed in terms of look and paint retention. Earlier on in this thread you can see images of that test block (post 240, page 10) and how it was used by AngelusLupus and AnubisGuard to make a 3D rendering of how the main body might look with the proposed crackle pattern on it.

As a result of this work and the metal sample, I decided that in a few areas the crackle effect needed simplifying and so reduced the number of crackle islands in some areas and along the edges to make the crackle pattern a bit more distinct as I felt that in places it was so small that we were at risk of losing the pattern in a mush of tiny grey lines.

So that's the long crackle answer. In short, overall fairly accurate, simplified in some places and invented in two main places where there were screw heads in the original.

As far as the extension goes, I'm not sure, but I think that the extended sonic is about the same extended length of the original... sorry, shocking that I don't know this exactly. The slider and the extended length are more a factor of the electronics that we had to squeeze into the product, but we aimed to be as close as possible to the full extended length of the original, given that we wanted to be exactly the same as the original when retracted.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
That indeed helps a lot, thanks for the clarification. I really look forward to getting this, and its great to see people who sell things actually caring about the product not just the profit, thanks.

As far as the extension goes, I'm not sure, but I think that the extended sonic is about the same extended length of the original... sorry, shocking that I don't know this exactly. The slider and the extended length are more a factor of the electronics that we had to squeeze into the product, but we aimed to be as close as possible to the full extended length of the original, given that we wanted to be exactly the same as the original when retracted.

Sorry for the long silence. I've got the numbers handy - David Tennant's sonic was 191.5 mm long when extended (from the tip of the blue emitter dome to the end of the black cap), and ours is slightly shorter at 190 mm. As Chris said, we were rather constrained by the size of the electronics - I spent many happy hours doing and re-doing the PCB design, trying various different ideas to get the PCBs (in the main body and emitter head) small enough to allow the sonic to be as close as possible to the correct size when extended. (As an aside, I believe that the other screen-used "B" prop may have been a fraction less than 190 mm when extended, but I'm no expert on that version of the prop.)

Speaking as someone who is currently dropping rather unsubtle hints about sonics and xmas presents, I think I can safely say that not many will be queuing up to criticise you over a 15mm discrepancy when you've actually made a sonic that works.

And, yes, I will be joining the list of naughty folks who go looking for bar-room big-screens, or shop displays to secretly sonic :devil

Sorry for the long silence. I've got the numbers handy - David Tennant's sonic was 191.5 mm long when extended (from the tip of the blue emitter dome to the end of the black cap), and ours is slightly shorter at 190 mm. As Chris said, we were rather constrained by the size of the electronics - I spent many happy hours doing and re-doing the PCB design, trying various different ideas to get the PCBs (in the main body and emitter head) small enough to allow the sonic to be as close as possible to the correct size when extended. (As an aside, I believe that the other screen-used "B" prop may have been a fraction less than 190 mm when extended, but I'm no expert on that version of the prop.)

excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor. I really don't think one can complain over 1.5 mm, that is amazing you got it so close and got the electronics in there. I cant wait till christmas :D

The David Tennant FB page posted a link to this and it's both funny and frustrating to watch people chime in on the comments. Some people just can't be bothered to read the description or check out the link accompanying the post to avoid making fools of themselves when they say something like "I got this for $30, what a rip off!". Dummies...

Sadly, most people don't have the same eye for detail as most of us here. They see something vaguely sonic-shaped and assume it must be the same product.

...luckily, those of us who have them know just how stellar of a product this really is. So it's those people's loss if they can't tell this from the CO toy because they're missing out on a fantastic piece.

-Nick

That's true, but they also failed to read more than 4 words into the description of the product they decided to speak poorly of, and that's the part that I find frustrating. I know it's commonplace for folks to speak their uninformed opinions anonymously on the Internet, and even to speak them as if fact, but once in awhile that level of ignorance irks me in a bad way.

Oh well, more for us! Maybe I'll get a third for an Aztec mod like Tobor's...

Anyone finding any wear under the slider button yet? I've only had mine for about a day and I'm already seeing what appears to be some paint or something darkening in a few spots along where the button slides. I plan to darken the crackle soon so It doesn't really matter though.

For people who have darkened theirs, are you dissembling anything, or how are you getting under the button slider?

Anyone finding any wear under the slider button yet? I've only had mine for about a day and I'm already seeing what appears to be some paint or something darkening in a few spots along where the button slides. I plan to darken the crackle soon so It doesn't really matter though.

For people who have darkened theirs, are you dissembling anything, or how are you getting under the button slider?

I haven't darkened mine, but do you mean the underside of the slider, or the part of the body that is obstructed by the slider? Because, surely, you darken the body with the slider in the fully closed position, up to and around the slider, and then move the slider to the fully open position, exposing the section that had previously been covered by the button slider. Am I missing the point, or is that what you mean?

I noticed the glaze wearing off at the body section under the slider as well, though for me it is lighter, not darker.

I took a little alcohol to it and found the color blue coming off, which was really odd to me. I looked under the slider button and on one side, there seemed to be a little dark rectangle, which seems to be where the color came from that was wearing. No idea what it is.

I took the sonic apart to the extent you can see in the picture. Unfortunately, I did scratch the collar and end piece a little. I had to clean up the aluminium, which removed the anodising. You can see the difference between the head which is still anodised and the rest of the sonic.
I sanded down the body to remove the texture. It’s not very deep and doesn’t affect the diameter much.
The paint I used was Plasitkote colony cream with a gold base coat.
http://www.tobor2.com/temp/wcsonics007.jpg

I took one of mine apart and can't get I back together again. The slider clips broke. Could I send it to you to put back together for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi richarbt07,
Sorry but don’t do model or prop work for other people. I’m just too busy, with my own projects, and my day job.
If you’ve broken a part of it, you will probably need replacement parts. If you post a picture of the broken parts, I may have the bits you need, left over from a sonic build I’m doing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back