New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

I seriously doubt it was a conspiracy to prevent people from owning accurate Sonic props :lol (I doubt when they are making the show if they could care less about replicas). If I remember correctly they gave out a lot of the MFX sonics to the actors and crew of the show when they produced them. There was probly just one handy when they were shooting.

Thanks Phez. Yeah, it'll be fine.
On facebook at least, people are commenting that it looks different, but most think that it is because this 10th Doctor must be from before 'Smith and Jones', so it must be "9's screwdriver" (before it was destroyed and replaced). Oh, aren't uninformed people hilarious. Anyway, I'd say as long as people continue to think this, they should have no problem accepting your model as an accurate "10's Screwdriver'.

The Tennant control room was stripped down and installed as an exhibit at a BBC...museum...place (drawing a blank on the name, sorry). Apparently what's left of the set is firmly affixed, so they filmed in the exhibit and just shot around all the museum stuff. Hence why it doesn't look as good.

Right on. It's The Doctor Who Experience in Port Teigr, Cardiff Bay. I've been, and I'm guessing the area that it's set up in is quite a bit smaller than the actual filming set. The exhibit also explains that the set was heavily damaged in the Tennant/Smith regeneration scene, and it had to be restored before being put on display. It's still pretty rough and grimy, so it'll likely never look as good as it once did.

I have a couple pictures that I took of the console. They're not the best, but you can definitely get a sense of its current state of repair.

console2.jpgconsole.jpg

Of course, of all shows, Doctor Who can get away with inconsistencies between certain scenery and props. The TARDIS was changing it's own appearance and layout in "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS", it's fully possible that it experiences hiccups from time to time, or just decides it wants a slight redecoration once in awhile :$ Considering the sonic screwdriver isn't like a lightsaber that the Doctor constructed himself, and it was created by the TARDIS (in "The Eleventh Hour" anyway), it's possible that it also experiences changes from time to time as well. If Rory can die half a dozen times, why can't a sonic screwdriver or the TARDIS be different from one week to the next :lol

Or perhaps trace amounts of residual TARDIS energy? And being a device with an origin from inside the TARDIS, it's made with similar technology and properties. If Amy and Rory can make a Timelord baby, I'm sure the TARDIS has other tricks up its proverbial sleeves. It may not need a chameleon circuit to change appearances, perhaps it's a natural evolution of a product of the TARDIS that, with so much traveling through time, loses its exact, current state of existence for brief moments, or weeks on end. TIMEY-WIMEY.

But now we're just over-thinking things :D If they put production on hold to seek out or build a perfectly accurate version of a prop every time the original gets misplaced or is currently unavailable, and didn't make use of stunts, alternates, past versions, replicas, etc. then precious time and money would be wasted left and right. I mean, it's not like it would happen a lot, but when David Tennant is on set, I can't imagine some shmuck from the props department interrupting a shoot because the sonic they're using doesn't have the right shade of crackle or is 2mm thicker in diameter.

"Uh, can you wait here for a few hours, David? We gotta get props to bang out a more accurate sonic, this one's the wrong color...and the slot for the slider doesn't go to the second ridge. People from the RPF will notice, it'll be a huge embarrassment to us and the BBC, not to mention a disgrace to our craft."

Or, the correct one that David ownes was on loan to TWC for 3D scanning while he was filming the 50th. The producers asked him to bring his sonic for filming and he said 'It's on loan right now, but don't worry. I have another one that Neil gave me a couple years ago....we can use that!'

Is there any chance that with subsequent runs that small changes will be made to the weathering or other features?

Reading back through this thread finally pushed me to place my ThinkGeek order. Cant wait to get it, amazing job guys.

I got a couple of Sonics from BBC shop here in the UK. I missed the first batch, but they seem to have plenty available now. I’ve had no issues with mine, no scratches on the aluminium etc.
As you can see from the pictures, I’ve done a little work on one of mine.
Thanks Richard and guys at The Wand Company, It’s a really great product.
wcsonics001.jpg

wcsonics002.jpg

wcsonics003.jpg

wcsonics004.jpg

The electronics still work, but I haven’t connected them to the new switch.
When I filled in the slot, I only filled it in half way, so there is a channel to run some thin wires.
I theory, all I have to do is solder two wires from the circuit board to the switch and run them in the channel. It will probably be a very tricky job, but I’ll have a go.

wcsonics005.jpg

wcsonics006.jpg

The electronics still work, but I haven’t connected them to the new switch.
When I filled in the slot, I only filled it in half way, so there is a channel to run some thin wires.
I theory, all I have to do is solder two wires from the circuit board to the switch and run them in the channel. It will probably be a very tricky job, but I’ll have a go.

http://www.tobor2.com/temp/wcsonics005.jpg
http://www.tobor2.com/temp/wcsonics006.jpg
What are you using for the center body and the raised button?
Also, the wires are supposed to be red/black, but because they are so hard to access, I really don't blame you.

Last edited:
The new switch I got out of a cheap laser pointer. The cover for it is a made from a piece of resin I had in my spares box.
The main body is the original sonic body which I modified.
The wires going to the head are hard to access. But there are actually three wires, red black and white, with a yellow covering.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back