Battlestar Galactica - Remastering A Classic

Re: Battlestar Galactica Demo Reel - Remastering A Classic

In TOS all the shots of the Cylon Raiders have blocky mattes around them that are clear in almost every shot. This problem still hasn't been fixed in all these years.

Last edited:

Dropping the first test shot in... this was the test with V 1.0 (sans post- at bottom), and the first paint job as well. There are now paint jobs for 6 Vipers. I've corrected a lot on the Viper since... as well as its own cockpit which didn't get in just due to time- the day I finished it it needed to be lit and rendered, no time to get it back and forth. Dunno if we'd have gone forward if this hadn't sorted out. This again was test 1. We knew the G looked fantastic, had fleet ships ready, and that handling the secondary fx was going to be done rather capably, though quickly! Same with the necessary roto and comp. This ship, the Raider (which still needs attn, the Tanker as well), my launch tube (about 70% parts IDed), the aa guns and main guns, etc... everyone's sitting in 1s and 0s hypersleep... ;-)

As for it going forward, nice idea but... no. It is old, we've covered that. As for interest... I think hardcore interest is often too over-estimated. The numbers that a group would look for to make a project viable... and the double-edges sword. If the BR does well, then no perceived need perhaps. If it doesn't, the no perceived interest from consumers/fans?

Why this now then... where'd it come from? To be blunt, I figure someone somehow got their hands on this and misrepresented it at first and possibly themselves, perhaps wanting to seem in the know. We can't figure out how else it came around and why now! Cynical yes, but it's this or shoulder shrugs! Regardless, happy that folks have been largely enjoying it. (alarmed at some responses, as it's a dead giveaway that some folks simply don't know what they're looking at!!! ;-) ) If someone was hoping to stir the pot (ie trying to gauge interest or push the idea forward...) stir away!! stir away! I think most of us would regroup at the drop of a... hm, gonna censor myself. Just go ahead and make sure in your head you complete that with appropriate BSG chars... ahem.

To address the cries of 'don't remaster'...: You can't remaster something that was never completed. This show needs to be finished off the first time before it can ever be re-worked. That was our intent. As I hinted at, we know exactly where the faults and issues are, and would have hit it. Also, what the original intent of the scripts and direction were and in each of the ways that things fell short and out of sync from dept to dept.

ViperComp79_480.jpg

out of curiosity: what's the etiquette for responding (or not) when folks up-vote or like or appreciate comments or such?

Last edited:

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. That's shiny!

what i would like to know is why lloyd bridges blew up the tankers :p

Cain was insisting they capture the fuel refinery/base instead of just 2 tankers, but Adama wouldn't agree to it.

I like Lloyd Bridges, but I find it hard to take him seriously in that role. I keep expecting him to say that he "picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

:lol

Wow, this is really great stuff. I personally think they nailed that fine line of improving a shot, but not having the new effects be SO updated that they look glaringly more realistic than the rest of the footage. It's a perfect blend of updated effects and yet still looks like 70's tv. great job.

^ Nice observation, and thanks. I don't know if other sites have mentioned this, since no one's actually bothered to talk to anyone behind it... the intent is to *finish* the series. The term re-master gets thrown around a lot, but no... the series has to be completed first. This encompasses design, asset creation, shot analysis and breakdown followed by a build up to the original look (this is what I think you noticed first). And that's just the visual aspect. Some morons (if you catch the level that folks are attempting to seem knowing and informed on this, you'll know why... morons... only term that fits) have failed to pay attn to the fact that the audio track is set, and the audio and visuals DO NOT SYNC.

To your observation, T_t: When the lighting test on the Viper was in progress, and the shadow-matching started, it started the ball rolling... but plays a second level part, so to speak. The importance of matching the aesthetic is more important than bringing my studio scale knowledge and pickiness to bear. In short, it has to 'feel' right. Wrong term of course, this stuff isn't subjective, but in the end that is how the audience will communicate to each other about how successful we are, and so it comes to matter. It does't hurt that more than a few of us are schooled in how the fx processes were rolling back in the day. We transitioned from practical to cg and many are still modelbuilders, photographers, etc... and it shows. We could (and have) done practical shoots and roto, comp, etc etc etc... The processes are irrelevant, the target is fixed, so we... well... guess that would've been a conversation if we had been able to go forward! ;-)

Sry about typos and clipped terse tense, typing with a broken finger, trying to edit in head while typing.

Well, you definitely nailed it!
I'll be honest in that while I'm a huge fan of the New BSG, I've never actually sat through the originals. So when I saw the scene in this clip, it was the first time. I'm telling you this so you can get an accurate idea of my first impression. I was waiting to see the new FX shots. And I was expecting to see something jump out at me like the remastered Star Trek TOS effects did. And when it didn't happen, my first thought was, "Wait, what did they remaster? just the video quality?" Then my next reaction was, "Man, they had some really good modelers and FX guys work on this show, these fly by shots are really good for '70's tv. I really need to watch this show!" Then it hit me that this is what was updated and that you guys seamlessly blended in the new shots to look like it SHOULD have looked back then. The angles and movements are really well done, but you left in just enough of that "it's only a model" look so that it fits perfectly into the original footage.
Hopefully you'll take that as just about the best compliment I can give.

Can you maybe post a comparison of the original scene?

Last edited:

Thanks! :) Here's a fun little story that relates to keeping these looking like models being shot.

When I first sent the Viper in fora look-see, it sat a bit. I sent in the model, the texture files, and a few of my own renders that showed it 'straigth out of the box' so to speak.

Adam had a look... he didn't get back to me for a while. I didn't find out why for a time. His first email to me was really when he was testing the object. It was titled 'Prepare to ***** a brick". Promising? Later on, in a post-mortem, he let out that when he first saw my renders, well, it looked like a model/toy.

That was the point! yeah, I got a bit huffy about that. But I knew where he was coming from. And in some ways, felt better about that whole thing. But still....... ;-)

(Reading that, I remember thinking well, yeah, because 30 years ago, they had to light it, frame, move... so since you see that it looks like a 16" model, what are you going to do with it?) It sorta stung reading that after the fact, but at the same time, I knew I was on the right track from Day 1 while building and especially texturing... but he could have dismissed the whole thing based on my images. Urgh. As I said, we had an amazing Galactica, fleet ships, environment, and such. But for this, the V was kind of important!

Well thankfully he sat down and realized that the model could only be judged in the correct context, and proceeded to work out the large sweeps as well as finer points of how these would have been lit... he started to match both color/light and shadows/form... and bang!

A lot can be said about camera decisions, and that's the biggest area of departure in a couple of shots- though it amuses me as some folks forget what was done in some set-ups for the show, as the models are so small, nice combos of model and camera motion... It's fun to add some impact and first-person, but that has to be very sparsely done... think we did it a few times in this sequence, and only one of them I think it matched an actor's POV, can't recall. However, this was done to correct, after all this time, either shots that were meant to be inside of the ships but weren't, shots where you're meant to be outside but weren't, that is what drove those decisions, not arbitrary 'hey this would be cool and self-serving.' :)

Thanks again.

Battlestar Galactica DVD news: Press Release for Blu-rays of The Definitive Collection and The Remastered Collection | TVShowsOnDVD.com
Releasing on May 12, 2015.

Amazon.com: Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection [Blu-ray]

Amazon.com: Battlestar Galactica The Remastered Collection [Blu-ray]

Press Release:

THE LEGENDARY SCI-FI SERIES THAT LAUNCHED THE ACCLAIMED FRANCHISE, NOW PRESENTED IN 16:9 WIDESCREEN AND ON BLU-RAY FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION

AND

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE REMASTERED COLLECTION

COMING TO BLU-RAY ON May 12, 2015 FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., Nov. 24, 2014 - From renowned writer/producer Glen A. Larson, the creative force behind Knight Rider, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, comes the groundbreaking TV series that launched one of the most beloved sci-fi franchises in history, now available in widescreen and high definition as both Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection and Battlestar Galactica: The Remastered Collection come to Blu-ray on May 12, 2015 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. These essential collections for Battlestar Galactica devotees include all 24 explosive episodes of Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series plus the complete 10-episode spin-off series, Galactica 1980.

Newly remastered in 16:9 widescreen presentation for the very first time, Battlestar Galactica: The Remastered Collection features both pioneering series meticulously reformatted to be optimized for the HDTV viewing experience. Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection also includes both series in 4:3 Full Frame as they were originally televised, plus the theatrical version of the premiere episode "Saga of a Star World" presented in 1.85:1 Widescreen for the ultimate collector.

This epic adventure, which provided the inspiration for the critically acclaimed 2004 Syfy reimagined series, comes with over 4 hours of bonus features, including over 3 hours of deleted scenes from Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series! These collections also includes featurettes such as "Glen Larson on the Creation of Battlestar Galactica" and "Stu Phillips: Composing the Score" with an inside look at the genesis of this remarkable production, and "Remembering Battlestar Galactica," a 45-minute retrospective documentary featuring cast and crew on the making of this ground-breaking series.

In Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series, the Twelve Colonies, hopeful for lasting peace following centuries of intense warfare, gather to sign a treaty with their dreaded enemies, the Cylons. But after an act of treachery on the eve of the ceremony, the Cylons launch a devastating surprise attack, destroying the Colonies' home planets and most of their military strength. A lone flagship battlestar, the Galactica, remains to aid the surviving colonists on their epic journey to a new home on a far-off, legendary planet-Earth.

Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series stars Richard Hatch (The Streets of San Francisco), Dirk Benedict (The A-Team), Lorne Greene (Bonanza), Herbert Jefferson Jr. (Apollo 13), John Colicos (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Maren Jensen (The Love Boat), Noah Hathaway (The Never Ending Story), Laurette Spang (Airport 1975), Tony Swartz (Dynasty) and Terry Carter (McCloud).

Galactica 1980: The Complete Series picks up 30 years after the events of Battlestar Galactica, as the original crew finally makes the long-anticipated descent to Earth. With time running out and the Cylons closing in on their trail, Commander Adama and the Galactica team work harder than ever to help Earth create the technology necessary for battle.

Galactica 1980: The Complete Series stars Kent McCord (Emergency), Barry Van Dyke (Diagnosis Murder), Robyn Douglass (Breaking Away) and Lorne Greene.

Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection includes:

Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series (Widescreen and Full Frame)
Galactica 1980: The Complete Series (Widescreen and Full Frame)
Battlestar Galactica - The 125-minute theatrical edit of the premiere episode "Saga of a Star World"

Battlestar Galactica: The Remastered Collection includes:

Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series (Widescreen)
Galactica 1980: The Complete Series (Widescreen)

Blu-ray disc unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring perfect hi-def picture and hi-def sound. Digital including UltraViolet is a revolutionary new way for fans to collect their movies and TV shows in the cloud. UltraViolet lets consumers instantly stream and download to tablets, smartphones, computers and TVs.

BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY

Over 3 hours of Deleted Scenes
Remembering Battlestar Galactica - a 45-minute retrospective documentary featuring cast and crew on the making of this ground-breaking series.
Episode Commentary with Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict and Herbert Jefferson Jr.
Glen Larson on the Creation of Battlestar Galactica
Stu Phillips: Composing the Score
And More!

THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION - TECHNICAL INFORMATION - Blu-ray
Street Date: 5/12/2015
Running Time: 57 Hrs. 7 Mins
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Widescreen, 4:3 Full Frame
Languages:

Full Frame & Widescreen Versions: English
Full Frame Version: French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese

Subtitles:

Full Frame & Widescreen Versions: English SDH, Spanish, French
Full Frame Version: Dutch, Italian, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Japanese, Portuguese

Sound: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono (Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series), DTS Digital Surround 2.0 (Galactica 1980: The Complete Series)

THE REMASTERED COLLECTION - TECHNICAL INFORMATION - Blu-ray
Street Date: 5/12/2015
Running Time: 27 Hrs. 31 Mins
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Widescreen
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Sound: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono (Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series), DTS Digital Surround 2.0 (Galactica 1980: The Complete Series)

Last edited:

All that is is the English spin of the German version. The widescreen is there only because it was pointed out to them how the series was shot, and it was the cheapest of the 'updates' to make.

By the way, Mojo has expressed an interest in joining here but registration appears to be turned off.

So Christmas is now May next year. It is good that BSG 1980 is included in the set so one purchase will get the complete classic era.

Later on, in a post-mortem, he let out that when he first saw my renders, well, it looked like a model/toy.

Well thankfully he sat down and realized that the model could only be judged in the correct context, and proceeded to work out the large sweeps as well as finer points of how these would have been lit... he started to match both color/light and shadows/form... and bang!

Oh, that was YOU!
I remember reading Mojo's side of the story on his blog a while back!
http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/will-the-real-viper-please-stand-up/
http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2009/02/05/viper-redux-turning-shinola-into-****/

I'd still like to reboot "Galactica 1980" into something more like "The Second Coming". Noah Hathaway is all grown up now, and done growed up pretty good. I'd like to see the premise of G'80 trotted back out, but in longer form, with more of the original cast back, and with better production values and less cheese. As The Second Coming put forth, decades later they're still looking for Earth. As with G'80 they reach Earth (though with an older Apollo commanding Galactica rather than an older Adama), and something like "The Plan" from the SyFy series develops with the Cylons, but for different reasons as they infiltrate Earth and the Colonials work with Earth's governments to get us up to snuff to defend ourselves.

I know this is the Definitive Edition, but this has been bothering me since 1980 when the second season of BSG suddenly took a left turn into the bad part of town and left a very young me extremely bewildered and disappointed. And that botheration amped up when I saw the Second Coming trailer Richard made and read the continuation novels he wrote. And all that perturbation got squared and cubed when the Sci-Fi Channel optioned the series... and then completely dropped the ball (IMO) on what to do with it.
Clerval -- your work on this has been brilliant. As others have said, the sort of cleanup the effects needed for Star Trek, but that they didn't really get. Closer to the lovely work done on the Director's Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. And for the same reasons. :) When you say "finishing" the series, I had hoped you meant something like what I say above -- not leaving it hanging at the end of the one season -- but I really don't consider the Galactica 1980 we got to be that continuation/conclusion. :unsure

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back