Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :)

Hi Krade. I used a mix to get the colour close to what i thought it should be. I used Tamiya acrylics, for the main hull colour, Deck Tan (XF55) Flat White (XF2) Light Grey (XF66) and some Dark Grey (XF24) for the pre shading. Start with the flat white and add some drops of deck tan and light grey until you get the desired colour.

You will also need some primer as a base coat. go with a light grey or white primer so you wont have to add much mixed colour on top.

Hope this helps:)

I agree with the lighter primer. I primed in black and although I can certainly work with it (and there are some great benefits), my overall look is a bit cooler than I would like. This would be fine on a 1/72 model but not necessarily on a smaller scaled ship

SO I'm starting to look at the photoetched engine grills. First off, I love the way photoetch looks.

Secondly, I hate working with it. I made the huge mistake of using Plasticine to keep them in place while painting....as you can see below

My next question is about Glue. I understand that you need to use crazy glue on this stuff, but what's the best way to apply it? I've never enjoyed using the stuff. It's not really thin enough, if you ask me. Also, I would love a way to clamp them all together. Is there anything this stuff won't stick to that I can use to sandwich it together? Saran wrap? Tin foil?

Because I'm gonna start weathering soon I figured that I would need a sacrificial lamb.....

So I gave the first fine molds 1/144 the ol' easy-off treatment

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

SO I'm starting to look at the photoetched engine grills. First off, I love the way photoetch looks.

Secondly, I hate working with it. I made the huge mistake of using Plasticine to keep them in place while painting....as you can see below
[url]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j387/ianalbright/bandai%20small%20falcon/20160415_132807_zpssxut6ukf.jpg[/URL]

My next question is about Glue. I understand that you need to use crazy glue on this stuff, but what's the best way to apply it? I've never enjoyed using the stuff. It's not really thin enough, if you ask me. Also, I would love a way to clamp them all together. Is there anything this stuff won't stick to that I can use to sandwich it together? Saran wrap? Tin foil?

I really like green strawberry's work, but with the fan grills, I went with shapeways. They were less expensive and easier to work with. What did you end up doing with them?

I really like green strawberry's work, but with the fan grills, I went with shapeways. They were less expensive and easier to work with. What did you end up doing with them?
I haven't done anything yet. For the grills, I prefer the metal. I like how bent they are on the studio model

As far as applying super glue to small parts... I use an old exacto blade. The tip is small enough to get it onto really tiny spots.
Good idea.

I picked up the thinnest stuff available so we'll see how it goes. This thing is four layers and at this point, some of them are a bit bent.

It's like gluing together a really thin sandwich

Finally getting close to finished with my first Falcon build. I've never done an MF before, but this little kit has been fun. Even with such a small kit,the weathering and finalizing takes quite some time.

WP_20160430_14_41_41_Pro (2).jpg

Looks fantastic!!!

Because imho, the streaking can make or break a falcon, what is your secret???

Mine has totally stalled. Work has been crazy

Looks fantastic!!!

Because imho, the streaking can make or break a falcon, what is your secret???

Mine has totally stalled. Work has been crazy

Thanks, man! The secret is OPR... Oil Paint Rendering and layering. A few techniques I picked up from a very talented artist/modeler, Michael Rinaldi. Check it out here. That guy is fantastic when it comes to detail and his paint jobs overall.

-Kris

I'll be getting back on to mine once Dewey is sorted. Has anyone made any movements to release accurate greeblie panels for the mirrored side yet?

Just a question about the shapeway-parts to the builders here:

I intend to build a Episode V -Version of the Falcon. So i found that shapways has two different qualities for each part - which quality do you use on the Bandai-Falcon? Are they so different in detail or in quality?

I intend to buy the radar-Dish and -stand, maybe the cockpit-interior and/or the Quad-Guns. (I'll maybe build it with the windowglass, so i don't need the shapways-cockpit (and i find the front-look something disturbing because of the strange angled segments of shapeways-front).

Is there another source for the Radardish too?

Greetings,
Peter H.

Just a question about the shapeway-parts to the builders here:

I intend to build a Episode V -Version of the Falcon. So i found that shapways has two different qualities for each part - which quality do you use on the Bandai-Falcon? Are they so different in detail or in quality?

I intend to buy the radar-Dish and -stand, maybe the cockpit-interior and/or the Quad-Guns. (I'll maybe build it with the windowglass, so i don't need the shapways-cockpit (and i find the front-look something disturbing because of the strange angled segments of shapeways-front).

Is there another source for the Radardish too?

Greetings,
Peter H.
Personally, I would stick to the highest quality for this.

And I highly recommend the cockpit. It's a nicer shape with thinner panel lines. Plus it has the scallops on the front.

I think I'll order the turret guns too. I wasn't going to but the stock ones bother me

I agree with astroboy. At this scale, you want the highest quality details. The smaller microns allow for clearer detailing with something so tiny. And I would look to greenstrawberry.cz for a photo etch kit for the falcon. They are releasing it in two weeks and it has a lot of detail enhancements including the turrets and turret guns.

-Kris

13071836_545119555660989_6729302799708780532_o.jpg

I've not finished the base, but here's my take on the Force Awakens Falcon. The model was primed in Citadel black from a rattle can, with a couple of light base coats of that rare beast Tamiya AS-20. For the panelling I used the supplied water slides, with lots of coats of Microsol. Everything else was completed with multiple pin washes in brown & black, with a couple of spots of soot airbrushed on (it was my first time using an airbrush, so be gentle!), and finally the streaking was a built-up mix of brown & black Gundam real touch markers (these blend up so well, and are very forgiving if you have an incident!).
Looking at some of the other builds of this kit online, it seems to be all too easy to end up with a model that's a little too dark, so I tried to keep the weathering subtle to keep the overall base colour bright. Adding a touch of brown to any black washes also helped to keep the tones warm after the harsh black primer coat.
Anyway, I hope you like the results!

sGkQ8j2.jpg

IRW0hWo.jpg

acw081z.jpg

xzlmqof.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back