Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I don't know how that article is calling critics of TLJ bigots or sexist. I'm extremely critical of Disney's Star Wars but I didn't get the sense that I was being called those things. The only time I've been labeled as a bigot was on the RPF because I dared to propose it was wrong to harass Kelly Tran online.

While I'm sure she did get some harassment, I always found it really, really odd that piece came from a third-party twitter account. It was a fan-run twitter account and not an official source such as Disney/LucasFilms. Add to the fact, after this story broke every main media outlet ran with it and called Star Wars fans toxic and the ilk (without even fact checking or seeing what the source was). There was no distinction made between those with legitimate dislike of TLJ and the idiot bigot morons who attack Tran for being a woman and being a minority. Usually when something like this happens, a statement is made from an official source... not a third party source. That's my legitimate issue with it.

Original source: https://twitter.com/swtweets/status/1003833275738013697?lang=en
Their twitter account: https://twitter.com/SWTweets?lang=en

Tran has not come forward to issue an official statement about the situation either, which compounds the odd nature of the event. Perhaps because of filming for Episode 9? Either way...

Last edited:
Reactions: JPH

I was just thinking the people that are for forced feminism equality could really take a lesson from Padme. She's an almost perfect example of a feminine woman. She's strong, independent, standing for what she believes is right, even if it's unpopular. But when she gets married and becomes pregnant. She's willing to set aside her political career for the sake of her family. She knows that a married woman's place is to support her husband, to take care of her children. And even after Anakin's fall, she's will to forget and forgive.

I was just thinking the people that are for forced feminism equality could really take a lesson from Padme. She's an almost perfect example of a feminine woman. She's strong, independent, standing for what she believes is right, even if it's unpopular. But when she gets married and becomes pregnant. She's willing to set aside her political career for the sake of her family. She knows that a married woman's place is to support her husband, to take care of her children. And even after Anakin's fall, she's will to forget and forgive.

Welcome to the 21st century, a woman's place is whatever SHE decides it is.
Edit: that worked out really well for padme and her family!;)

They are fueling the X-Wings/Y-wings right before the battle of Yavin.
When princes Amidalla was escaping, the hyperdrive was hit and leaking fuel that they needed to get a new one.
The ships needing fuel shouldn't be something that needs to be explained to the audience.

Of course the ships USE fuel. That's never been in question. But in the Star Wars universe prior to TLJ, the fuel was assumed to be pretty efficient/long-lasting, and not used as a plot device as in Mad Max or Waterworld because of some constant anxiety of running out or having to endlessly search for more.

I mean you have X-wings that can, without the support of a larger vessel or refueling station, travel between star systems using a hyperdrive. Where were the massive tanks that would be required for this if the concept of fuel was similar to what we know? They didn't exist because fuel in SW is not a major concern and/or is hyper-efficient. In SW to-date, the main reason to worry about fuel was because some damage occurred that caused a leak.

So it's not that fuel as a concept has never been included in SW before now, but to suddenly use it as a main plot device where the actions of the heroes are directly tied to all of the ships running out of gas at the same time seems disconnected with how fuel has been portrayed thus far.

Prior to TLJ? Because if not, Solo kind of had that as a less important part of the plot. Harvesting the raw form of fuel, then refining it. It made much more sense than the Codebreaker bit in TLJ.

Yes, prior to where Rian Johnson pulled it right out of his backside because he's a crap director. Go ahead.

Yes, prior to where Rian Johnson pulled it right out of his backside because he's a crap director. Go ahead.

No argument there. He doesn't even research things before doing anything, that's been confirmed at this point. So I don't know what more there is to say but just have your feelings about it and move on. I'm actually looking at other fandoms.

So it's not that fuel as a concept has never been included in SW before now, but to suddenly use it as a main plot device where the actions of the heroes are directly tied to all of the ships running out of gas at the same time seems disconnected with how fuel has been portrayed thus far.

The fuel is only part of the flaw. The bad guys backing off and waiting for the rebels to run out of fuel is also a big deal. Pursuing people all over the galaxy, and now, when you could crush them, you back off and wait.

You give them every opportunity to come up with something.

Really?

There are too many Catch 22 scenarios where either side of the reasoning fails. All those star destroyers and you don't want a few to jump past? The entire fleet is mobile! Even if TFO ships run out of fuel, you can always catch up.

Just broken, non-logical

Doesn't Han mention fuel in ESB?

When they're looking at the map trying to figure out where to go after being dumped with the trash... Lando's not a system, he's a man... I think we have enough fuel to make it - or something like that?

Not arguing about it's legitimacy on TLJ (I think it was a mistake), just wonder if I'm mis-remembering esb...

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

No argument there. He doesn't even research things before doing anything, that's been confirmed at this point. So I don't know what more there is to say but just have your feelings about it and move on. I'm actually looking at other fandoms.

............and that's where Leland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo are failing Star Wars.

Doesn't Han mention fuel in ESB?

When they're looking at the map trying to figure out where to go after being dumped with the trash... Lando's not a system, he's a man... I think we have enough fuel to make it - or something like that?

Not arguing about it's legitimacy on TLJ (I think it was a mistake), just wonder if I'm mis-remembering esb...

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

'Bespin, its pretty far but I think we can make it'. Referring to the distance in sub space as the hyperdrive was damaged.

............and that's where Leland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo are failing Star Wars.

'Bespin, its pretty far but I think we can make it'. Referring to the distance in sub space as the hyperdrive was damaged.

I agree with you fam. But no matter what, people will defend their vision. Even if it's a half baked pie. With raw dough and spoiled fillings. If Ramsay was present, the responsible parties would be verbally punted into orbit for this pie.

Furthermore, what I gather is this. Either you support this new star wars and shut up or criticisms be damned. It's time to let the past die, kill it if you have to. Time to move on to other fandoms. When nobody is left to play their games, read their books, look at their comics, or collect their merchandise...they will realize the extent of the 'dun goofed factor.'

ESB is arguably the most well-loved movie in the franchise. It has famous plot/logic holes. Severe ones. Stuff you cannot even avoid thinking about on the first viewing.

TLJ isn't a weak movie because it has plot/logic holes. It's a weak movie because we don't like it enough to overlook them.

To say that Marvel would be destroyed if Fiege left is a little extreme I think. If he woke up tomorrow morning and decided he wanted to cycle around the world for five years Marvel would still go on. With Infinity War 2 pretty much ready to go the timing is perfect. Just finding an analog is much easier written than done as well, how many other people have the credentials that he has right now in terms of overseeing the worlds most successful franchise? The best in their field are head hunted everyday of the week. Star Wars deserves the best in the business.

Just loving Star Wars is not enough to get the ship righted either, which he claims he does so there`s half the battle covered.

No more extreme than claiming SW is in serious trouble and the fanbase is "shredded". They aren't going to make the mistake of doing a movie twice again or something like killing Luke again. They've already announced no more risky director choices. And EP9 only has to be competent and the dissatisfied fans (who are still fans btw) will come back around.

Feige is not going to decided to go cycling for 5 years, but if he did of course Marvel would still go on, but at what quality? IW2 was already made, it was shot back-to-back with IW1. If for some reason Feige did leave now, all they would have is IW2 and Captain Marvel. Spidey is not done filming let alone any other project beyond that. They are not setup for the next 5 years beyond the general planning.

Frankly, SW does not deserve so much that it risks the MCU. And what's more it borders on selfish to want the best for your favorite at the risk of something others love.

No more extreme than claiming SW is in serious trouble and the fanbase is "shredded". They aren't going to make the mistake of doing a movie twice again or something like killing Luke again. They've already announced no more risky director choices. And EP9 only has to be competent and the dissatisfied fans (who are still fans btw) will come back around.

Feige is not going to decided to go cycling for 5 years, but if he did of course Marvel would still go on, but at what quality? IW2 was already made, it was shot back-to-back with IW1. If for some reason Feige did leave now, all they would have is IW2 and Captain Marvel. Spidey is not done filming let alone any other project beyond that. They are not setup for the next 5 years beyond the general planning.

Frankly, SW does not deserve so much that it risks the MCU. And what's more it borders on selfish to want the best for your favorite at the risk of something others love.

Not shredded? I guess having every trash media outlet, company employees and other fans call those who dislike whats happening toxic, racist, sexist, white male fan baby puppy kickers is just part of the norm these days with movie franchises.

Not in trouble? All the above and the first box office loss and weakest toy sales in forty years and the fact we are in a thread dedicated to the topic of the President keeping her job. Did I mention all the above?

Those reports about not employing untried directors was just a rumor and not attributed to anyone at Lucasfilm, especially not the missing President. There is no excitement about Ep Nein, zero. Even the latest announcement about Billie Dee`s return was met with, gee, I hope they dont just kill off the last OT character and make him look stupid. Its not selfish to want the best for Star Wars but it is selfish to think that if Feige leaves the MCU, all is lost for it and he must never leave.

Last edited:

Not unless it has been established within the specific lore of the Star Wars universe. Show us one canon source where they have even mentioned it before. Just one.
Just one?
https://youtu.be/DYXfxWiBf4I?t=55s

More than one:
Code:
johan@nina:/store/StarWars/Scripts$ grep fuel *.txt
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:OBI-WAN: . . . [B]fuel[/B]. The slightest charge from our sabers will send this ship into oblivion. That's why they've stopped
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:They run, EXPLOSIONS rattle the ship, and pipes continue to burst around them, spilling more [B]fuel[/B] into the hallway. At the
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:far end, SIX SUPER BATTLE DROIDS drop into the [B]fuel.[/B] The SOUNDS OF SHIELD DOORS CLOSING AND LOCKING ECHO throughout the
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:They move along a wall. ANAKIN climbs up the side to a small vent. The [B]fuel[/B] gets closer to the SPARKING dischargers. 
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:They move toward a second vent. OBI-WAN is swimming in the [B]fuel [/B]as it reaches to within a couple yards of the ceiling.
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:moves on. OBI-WAN is forced into hand-to-hand combat with one of the SUPER BATTLE DROIDS. It pulls the Jedi under the[B] fuel.[/B]
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:The [B]fuel[/B] is up to the Jedi's chins. ANAKIN finds a very, very small metal grate, then pounds on it until the tiny grate
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:As the SUPER BATTLE DROIDS reach the opening in the ceiling and the [B]fuel[/B] gets to within a few feet of the power generator
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:OBI-WAN: That won't hold when the [B]fuel[/B] hits those power dischargers. 
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:as the [B]fuel[/B] continues to rise toward the power discharger. 
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:The [B]fuel[/B] hits the SPARKING power discharger, and there is a HUGE EXPLOSION. 
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:OBI-WAN: With your kind permission, I should like some [B]fuel[/B] and to use your city as a base as I search nearby systems for
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:A GROUND CREW rushes out and [B]refuels[/B] Obi-Wans Fighter. TION MEDON leans close to OBI-WAN and speaks quietly. 
RevengeOfTheSith.txt:TlON MEDON: I told you, all he wanted was [B]fuel[/B]. 
Star Wars - public version.txt:          freighter-tanker [B]refueling[/B].
Star Wars - public version.txt:The hum of activity is occasionally trespassed by the distorted voice of the loudspeaker issuing commands.  Coupling hoses are disconnected from the ships as they are [B]fueled[/B].  Cockpit shields roll smoothly into place over each pilot.  A signalman, holding red guiding lights, directs the ships.  Luke, a trace of a smile gracing his lips, peers about through his goggles.
TheForceAwakens.txt:  [B]Refueling[/B], small trade, scavengers.
TheForceAwakens.txt:   Unkar Plutt installed a [B]fuel[/B] pump
TheForceAwakens.txt:  adjustments as Crews [B]fuel[/B] the jets. Ground controllers move
TheForceAwakens.txt:   The [B]fuel[/B] cells have ruptured. The
ThePhantomMenace.txt:QUI-GON : We'll have to land somewhere to [B]refuel[/B] and repair the ship.

Last edited:

I'm not a sequel apologist, but the X-Wings are seen fueling up before their Death Star trench run in the original Star Wars.

I think those were supposed to be starter generators. Considering that they disconnected right after the engines are started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back