Mugatu’s Souvenirs, Novelties, Party Tricks: LIVE FIRE E11

I just wonder . . . whilest working on these projects do you carry a hardhat with a webcam on ... so that when you blink your eyes you take an instant work in progress picture? Then add a quick verbal comment, so as to remember what that picture stands for when writing these elaborate tutorials :lol

Chaim

HAHA, the first one of these I put together here was a nightmare because the photos did get out of order. So it is an elaborate process of having to name each photo by number before uploading to photobucket and then uploading the entire series at the same time. Then in photobucket, viewing the group of photos all on the same page (if possible) and having them listed from newest to oldest. I really try to not take any photos if there isn't anything new to see or if it isn't obvious to me what is going on in the photo. Sometimes that is successful, sometimes it is not.

Seriously, when I'm working on something I'm covered in dirt, glue, chemicals, metal filings, sweat, and not even thinking about a camera. Very nice job documenting everything. I think the next thing we'll see from you is a time-lapse video with cuts to real time audio for explanations. :)

Thanks Chris. This particular repair actually was more difficult in the documentation process because the JB Weld Steel Stik is actually a bit less stable looking at first than what it seems in the photos. While mixing the compound with my gloved fingers, it still stuck to the gloves a bit like the way you would think toothpaste that had been sitting out of the tube for 4 or 5 hours would. As the compound began curing for the first few minutes, it became slightly more solid but even then traces were left on the glove. So anytime I tried to move or reposition the grenade I'd get the JB Weld on the grenade in places where I didn't want it. This also happened with my phone (camera)...this is where the "5 pair of gloves were used" comment came from. There was a lot of changing gloves going on in the middle of this. And a lot of cleaning of the frag cubes to get the unintentional "fingerprints" of JB Weld off of them.

I really do like the time lapse video idea, though...hmmm I think you've got something there, Chris. BTW, I need to send you a photo of my most recent AS purchase. I don't know why I did it, LOL!

I'll just like to reiterate what everyone else has already said...great work! And great documentation too. I love the progress pics.

Thanks matty matt. I really appreciate that. I am really digging your Denix Mauser accurizing thread. I wasn't kidding; your thread and work within it is making me want to get a Denix now. I actually really like the silvery look you've got on it right now from the filing. It looks real sweet.

Great step by step as everybody mentioned before [emoji6]

I would've never thought of something like the paperclip to give the weld some more hold.
Don't even know why it worked that way. Any guess or explanation?
And I would've never had the guts to cut this grove in the grenade [emoji106]

The more I look at the paper clip photos, the more I'm reminded of rebar used in the construction industry. I think the JB weld acted as concrete and the paper clip acted as the reinforcing rebar.

Again, well done.

Great step by step as everybody mentioned before [emoji6]

I would've never thought of something like the paperclip to give the weld some more hold.
Don't even know why it worked that way. Any guess or explanation?
And I would've never had the guts to cut this grove in the grenade [emoji106]

Luke the Belter, thanks for the kind words.

The paperclip probably would not work in all situations, on all grenades. On this particular grenade, the corrosion at the end of the frag body is quite drastic. In one spot, it might be mildly corroded, where a depth of 1mm of steel is missing. But if you move a centimeter to the left, maybe 3mm of steel is gone. Another centimeter to the left, and it's just a hole with all the steel gone. Another centimeter and there's only 2mm depth of steel missing. Having the paperclip there as a solid metal ring (most of the way around the frag anyway) allowed me to push the JB Weld compound on top of the paperclip, around the paperclip, and in some areas (like the hole), behind the paperclip. The JB Weld behind the paperclip is probably the best part for adding strength because at those points, the paperclip is fully enclosed in the steel compound. It's a bit like masonry, with the paperclip acting as miniature rebar.

Had I not had the varying levels of decay, which allowed for fully enclosing the paperclip in spots, I don't think the strength would be quite what it is now. Yet, even so, simply having the paperclip as an additional frame piece within the compound would add some measure of rigidity and strength to it, just as the scoring on the edge would add something. Hard to measure just how much strength or rigidity is added, but logic tells us that is more than nothing.

As far as cutting the grenade with the rotary tool, I probably would have been more hesitant to cut it as well had I not tried earlier to pick off some small "flakes" of steel from the frag body. I guess initially I was expecting the flakes to be about as strong as aluminum, or lead, or solder or something; it is not like these. It is steel. And even though it has decayed and rusted and been in the ground for a century, it is hard hard steel and it does not bend to weak forces like flesh and fingernail. This gave me the confidence that it would hold up to the rotary tool. As I mentioned earlier, I was surprised when I was unable to pick off any of the steel flakes, but I probably shouldn't have been surprised,,,after all, it's steel we're dealing with.

- - - Updated - - -

The more I look at the paper clip photos, the more I'm reminded of rebar used in the construction industry. I think the JB weld acted as concrete and the paper clip acted as the reinforcing rebar.

Again, well done.

HAHA! Ben, I was just writing about the rebar in my comment to Luke the Belter at the same time!

Re: My In Progress OB1 ANH (some) Real Parts Build

Could someone please tell me where was located that scrapeyard? London?

Thanks

Alfredo

Hey mugatu ! I was wondering...how's your JB Weld repair holding up?

And too, did you ever try bluing your grenade, and if so, how'd the JB Weld take to being blued?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @mugatu ! I was wondering...how's your JB Weld repair holding up?

And too, did you ever try bluing your grenade, and if so, how'd the JB Weld take to being blued?

I'm the lucky guy Mugatu sold that grenade to and I have to say it's still holding up very well. I've taken the saber apart and put it back together many times and it hasn't given a centimeter or crumbled a bit. The clamp bites down on the JB weld like it was the original steel.

A rock solid job and a classic repair thread.

Thanks Panaflex ! Glad to hear he's still got fight left in him! The grenade/JB Weld that is.

I just finished ready both thd9791's and NeoRutty's Obi-Wan threads, and have to go find scottjua 's yet to look for those blued JB Weld pics, but my eyes are getting dry and heavy and I may have to wait 'till tomorrow to do so.

All these threads are great to read! Totally bookmarked for that "One day, I too will begin the Long Walk"...of a Real Parts Obi-Wan Lightsaber that is ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mugatu, How could have I misseed this thread!!!:facepalm
Just wanted to say You're welcome!!
Thank You for the kind words on the first message!

Regards,

Alberto

Hey @mugatu ! I was wondering...how's your JB Weld repair holding up?

I was just going to say you'd have to ask Panaflex. That super dark and rich patina came naturally. I have not had any dealings with blueing before.

I've blued JBweld before and it works pretty well. Gets very close
Thanks for the info, Scott!

I'm the lucky guy Mugatu sold that grenade to and I have to say it's still holding up very well. I've taken the saber apart and put it back together many times and it hasn't given a centimeter or crumbled a bit. The clamp bites down on the JB weld like it was the original steel.

A rock solid job and a classic repair thread.
Thanks for answering, man. And I'm glad the repair work is still holding strong. That grenade looks great in your build, my friend.

Hey Mugatu, How could have I misseed this thread!!!:facepalm
Just wanted to say You're welcome!!
Thank You for the kind words on the first message!

Regards,

Alberto
Alberto, no problem, and I meant it. Man, you and I go all the way back to the beginning of my collecting days!

LOL!! I still have an extra grenade in my hands, but no trace of a booster yet!!
I just need the booster in order to have a complete one!!!:cry:cry

Keep me updated on the extra parts You want to get rid of, I've seen a lot of staff that You already sold and I was in need of!!:angel

Regards mate!

Alberto

LOL!! I still have an extra grenade in my hands, but no trace of a booster yet!!
I just need the booster in order to have a complete one!!!:cry:cry

Keep me updated on the extra parts You want to get rid of, I've seen a lot of staff that You already sold and I was in need of!!:angel

Regards mate!

Alberto

Alberto, I believe I am making some slight progress on a new contact for boosters. I will keep you (and a few others) posted;)

One of my all time favorite threads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Danny! That means a lot to me, man.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back