So you've found an HALES GRENADE overseas... NOW WHAT? How do you import it legally?

Re: So you've found an HALES GRENADE overseas... NOW WHAT? How do you import it lega

I bet she is in surprisingly good shape if you get the paint off. My own efforts on a grenade in much worse shape have shown that the paint is apparently made of diamond and carbon nano tubes. I didn't know they had that info so long ago. I tried everything: chemicals, fire, I even hired a voodoo witch doctor to perform some dark sacred rite on the paint, but in some spots it is still there.

Anyway, my guess is the rounded parts for the most part are the paint. The paint also seems plausibly original. I've seen paint like this before. And again, I am betting she is in really great shape underneath. I could be wrong, though.

Re: So you've found an HALES GRENADE overseas... NOW WHAT? How do you import it lega

It is my favorite candle holder. I use it all the time.
IMG_4051.JPG

That seems to be no paint, but a thick protective coat of wax/ cosmoline or similar. Conrats on the find :)

Just curious. What is the "expensive" price you can expect to pay for one of these grenades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really just depends. Militaria places usually sell them in the $700-1,000 range, which I would say is on the higher side. Some collectors have paid more (I saw one go for $1,500).

When they come up for auction the pricing is usually in the $350-700 range.

It also depends on condition.

They are getting harder to find, so prices will likely go up. They are much more rare than a Graflex, which are selling for stupid prices.

Just curious. What is the "expensive" price you can expect to pay for one of these grenades?

with just 1 night of searching it looks like 600 pounds is what keeps coming up on my end.

There still aren't as many people building real parts Obi-Wan sabers comparatively. Luke's saber is iconic to even casual SW fans who might have no idea what Obi's looked like... that and it's built of many hard-to-find pieces instead of just one or two. With the Graflex, once you have it you're pretty much all the way there. With the Obi, you get excited about your No3, but then you're like: oh no, what have I started :facepalm

With the Obi, you get excited about your No3, but then you're like: oh no, what have I started :facepalm

That's my dilemma exactly. I feel as though I stand upon the precipice of a grand and slippery slope... that begins its decent from the heavens, and terminates at its bottom in an ocean of quicksand. I have to stop thinking about this. Back to my sketchbook, I have parts to draw!

p.s. The one I found is pushing $800. Which I think is really high. I emailed the seller to inquire if they're even willing to send it over to here, and if they had any pictures of the grenade before it was treated with wax / cosmoline. Even if the fragmentation section cleans up acceptably, that wind vane is BEAT! How would you even begin to repair it? Heat and wooden tools maybe?

Well phooey!

Looks like if any of us ever wants to see that grenade sans wax / cosmoline, it's going to have to be one of you guys with friends in the UK. Seller is sad to report that strick legislation in the UK prohibits exportation.

As Yoda would say though... "There...is...There is another...Halesss...gre...nade."

Too bad it's in the UK as well though.

with just 1 night of searching it looks like 600 pounds is what keeps coming up on my end.

I've searched for more than one night and come up zilch. I also tend to have really poor luck and miss opportunities that were right there under my nose. ;-&.

So where DO you find these things for sale? I'll keep my screen on so maybe I won't be last in line yet again when the answer comes. Or maybe or could send me the Intel via courier, instead. ;-) ;-)

Hey Fusion ! Weird that you should bring this thread back up, I just emailed FedexEurope last week to inquire about how to ship an inert antique grenade and they responded 3 times from various departments that they could not ship anything that remotely looked like a weapon/explosive device. They did not answer my question about shipping the grenade in pieces in individual boxes. I still have hope of finding a seller willing to ship one over the pond, but it sounds unlikely. I often think I'd have a better chance of getting Roman to make me one in stainless steel than I do of getting a Sym-cha Perfect antique Hales grenade!

I started to get a little concerned with the number of emails I was getting from Fedex as they passed my inquiry further up the ladder, the last thing I want is MI-6 and Homeland to get all riled up when I'm just trying to build my geeky Star Wars prop!!! I almost wish I hadn't asked, but it's been gnawing at me that I didn't know for certain that the seller wasn't simply blowing me off because he didn't want to ship it over here.

You just missed a grenade in the Junkyard that mugatu was selling, and he's also selling the whole kit and kaboodle in the Junkyard too which may still be for sale...

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=273406

Good Luck in your quest!

Last edited by a moderator:

This offer is for Fusion and Ridire Firean only. Any unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

I have these two relics in the States that I am willing to let go of. Plus a ton of spare parts.

Reattached updated picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:

I am so interested. How do we get started.

It really is a great community.

Had no idea what I was missing all those years since that May/June of '77...

Someone finally picked it up! If you remove the paint, I can't wait to see what's underneath!

It's sitting under my Roman's OB1 now waiting to be stripped of it's coating. OdiWan72 suggests it's Cosmoline, which I have never heard of, and on the inside of the frag body it feels a bit 'tacky' but hard on the outside. Anyone suggest how to clean the coating off? Paint stripper my wife says but I would like to hear suggestions.

Last edited:

Since no-one here grabbed it I called the seller myself

IT WASN'T FOR LACK OF TRYING!!!

They just would NOT send it over to the USA. :(

You'll have to show what it looks like with the cosmoline wiped off, I'm super curious to see how it looks beneath all that wax!

If I find another one, can I tempt you to pick it up and send it over to me in pieces? If it's really a super-no-no, then I won't ask you to. I'm still not 100% sure on why none of the UK militaria places will ship it over here. They just keep saying it's too risky, without explaining why.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back