Kevin's scatter build thread

View attachment 691871View attachment 691872

Here's a funky tip on how I weathered my ring. It's not painted! I used vinegar and black coffee. Just like an Easter egg. Same principle. I put the ring in a cup and poured vinegar in just to cover it and added some black coffee., about a shot glass. I let it sit for about a day. Once I liked the color I pulled it out.

Seems from these picture you missed the underside of the emitter section ... it's also colored as you can see here :

LukeROTJHero06.JPG

Also the Tri-ring is a bit red/brown and in low lighted sets black ... so I like your coffee vinegar treatment yet perhaps you should add some red wine as well ... probably dry and fruity :lol

Chaïm

Last edited:
Seems from these picture you missed the underside of the emitter section ... it's also colored as you can see here :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/LukeROTJHero06.jpg

Also the Tri-ring is a bit red/brown and in low lighted sets black ... so I like your coffee vinegar treatment yet perhaps you should add some red wine as well ... probably dry and fruity :lol

Chaïm
So it is! I went right back to the lab and began to drybrush different shades of reds and browns to get closer. As far as the underside of the emitter, I definitely missed that, don't know how I missed it :facepalm I must have looked at that photo a dozen times. Keep in mind nicksdad has a real copper neck, so it will be a little tricky to match painted copper to real copper. I already added my copper paint base (just now) so it needs to dry before I begin matching it. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated

Ok, so back to the drawing board or so they say. Chaïm is a big help for the rebuild pointing out a few misses. I have corrected the ring (I believe), darkened up the gray on the control box and added the copper base coat on the underside of the emitter. The ring has now been drybrushed with a few different shades of dark red and some touches of brown.
IMG_2894.JPGIMG_2891.JPGIMG_2890.JPG
Now, copper coat to underside. It's close but not close enough. You can definitely see the difference so I have my work cut out for me. In the photos Chaïm shared above, I believe I can see the emitter and neck appear to be slightly off from each other but maybe it's just wishful thinking.
IMG_2892.JPGIMG_2893.JPG

Now I would like to open a debate about the mystery hole found by Chaïm as shown in his photos.

Judging the way the emitter connects on obiwan's, it makes sense that this second hole would have a set screw as well to hold the top to the rest of the emitter. Now to be fair, I haven't seen this hole in other photos so like most props, there are most likely a few of these with slight alterations. It's definitely smaller than the 8-32 hole so I made mine 6-32. I'm thinking about drilling it a little deeper and adding the set screw. It's really hard to tell from the photos and it could be deeper inside away from the cameras focus

View attachment 692127

Now I would like to open a debate about the mystery hole found by Chaïm as shown in his photos.

Judging the way the emitter connects on obiwan's, it makes sense that this second hole would have a set screw as well to hold the top to the rest of the emitter. Now to be fair, I haven't seen this hole in other photos so like most props, there are most likely a few of these with slight alterations. It's definitely smaller than the 8-32 hole so I made mine 6-32. I'm thinking about drilling it a little deeper and adding the set screw. It's really hard to tell from the photos and it could be deeper inside away from the cameras focus

View attachment 692127

Actually my initial thought on it is that it isn't a 'hole' at all; it doesn't look very deep.... If everyone is correct in that all the Luke ROTJ sabers are are essentially metal casts of the ANH Obi saber, then my thought on what we might be seeing is where the casting sprue was...

Now, copper coat to underside. It's close but not close enough. You can definitely see the difference so I have my work cut out for me. In the photos Chaïm shared above, I believe I can see the emitter and neck appear to be slightly off from each other but maybe it's just wishful thinking.
View attachment 692123View attachment 692125

Actually ... as I said it's just the underside that is copper colored not the edge, which is still silver, as you can see here :

LukeROTJHero08.JPG

Sorry Kevin, ... I was born with eagle eyes ... very handy when being a photographer though :) Now I have no idea why there's an indentation like a possible started screw hole ... as Edraven suggested it could be a left-over sprue from casting, yet it's not sticking outwards but inwards :)

Chaïm

Last edited:
Actually ... as I said it's just the underside that is copper colored not the edge, which is still silver, as you can see here :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/LukeROTJHero08.jpg

Sorry Kevin, ... I was born with eagle eyes ... very handy when being a photographer though :) Now I have no idea why there's an indentation like a possible started screw hole ... as Edraven suggested it could be a left-over sprue from casting, yet it's not sticking outwards but inwards :)

Chaïm
Not only for photographers, but to also catch builder boo boos like mine, lol. Funny, the top photo looks like the copper keeps going but the side angle shot shows all. Oh well, easy to clean off the sides. Thanks for correcting me. That's the only way I will get my props correct.

How's it looking now?
IMG_2897.JPGIMG_2898.JPGIMG_2899.JPG

Last edited:
I had a nice present waiting for me when I got home today. ROMANS GRAFLEX! This thing is really cool and I'm happy I bought it. Now I need to begin my research on the true appearance of the original. (You know I'm going to beat this thing up) :lol . This will be ANH version, static. Also using Roys wannawanga.com parts. I have the set but made a blunder on the grips. Just waiting for the new ones to arrive. Now I can begin my studies.

Here it is in all its glory. I set my custom saber shop next to it for comparison.
IMG_2925.JPGIMG_2926.JPGIMG_2927.JPG

Last edited:
I have been looking for good pics of the screen used but not really getting anywhere. I found a couple but they are clean for promo shots. Anyone have a shot to share?

lukeskywalker.jpgstar-wars-anh-luke-lightsaber-promo-2-x600.jpg
I did find these on google. They aren't mine, but please allow for reference photos only
anhluke.jpgluke-skywalker-lightsaber-parts-of-star-wars-x425.jpg

Last edited:
If everyone is correct in that all the Luke ROTJ sabers are are essentially metal casts of the ANH Obi saber
Here
is a correction - two of them were. This saber was made for ROTJ and did not carry over the details of the ANH sabers. it was lathed as opposed to cast.

Here
is a correction - two of them were. This saber was made for ROTJ and did not carry over the details of the ANH sabers. it was lathed as opposed to cast.
Both emitters are completely different as well

Your pics didn't post. Bring on the pics,, :D

ask and ye shall receive!
Bug me for picture credit, I dont think I have these image files labeled...3 vs 3

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 4.29.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 4.29.14 PM.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 92
  • tumblr_lhar5la5Cf1qedqfdo1_400.jpg
    tumblr_lhar5la5Cf1qedqfdo1_400.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 295313_416642015054072_1353643102_n.jpg
    295313_416642015054072_1353643102_n.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 104
  • obiv2full1.jpg
    obiv2full1.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 108
  • LFA_Shared StuntPommelEnd.jpg
    LFA_Shared StuntPommelEnd.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 102
Tom that first picture ur posted, with the boba get rope around Luke

Is that some kind of lever I see on the side of the Yuma saber??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back