Tie Helmet help please

Here is my RS helmet. Assembled and painted by me. IMG_20161026_210736.jpg and its not finished

Yeah, they took the vac-formed helmet halves (the modded Navy APH-6B helmet) that just had the mohawk halves overlapped and glued together for the Rebel version... And added a wide spacer strip across the mohawk to widen the helmet enough to accommodate the Stormtrooper faceplate. The resulting helmet is even wider than a standard Stormtrooper helmet, as a result -- and that, at least, has the shoulder bells to help balance the look out. The pilots have the chest armor, but need something bulking up their silhouettes overall to not look like bobbleheads.

But since we mostly just saw them in the fighter cockpits, with scant context, it was deemed good enough.

--Jonah

Bingo the knowledge lesson. Second the link relay on Jez's starwarshelmets website. One of the best sites to get lost reading and researching. Of course I'm terribly biased since my bucket made his fanmade section. Those were the good old days. Always best to build yourself.
Good luck on your quest, Jag. Don't settle for less. You can also go to the Jolly Rogers/501st Legion message board. The Brothers in Arms there could help.

The anovos faceplate on the Tie has been made symmetrical, hence missing a lot of the character of the original lids. It is VERY idealised

The anovos faceplate on the Tie has been made symmetrical, hence missing a lot of the character of the original lids. It is VERY idealised
Some prefer the cleaned up versions, others don't. It's good to have choices. I'm fine with cleaning up things that were a result of the limited time and budget.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. There clearly is a market for idealised pieces and I wasn't judging, just stating facts. If we're talking about accurately shaped lids, one that had the faceplate significantly changed simply won't be the best choice.

As far as I'm aware there is no one offering TIE helmets with accurate hero face plates. They are all using reworked stunts. RS had access to a hero style face plate from the original LFL TIE they molded, but opted to use their stunt face instead - unless they changed it later.

The LZ TIE looks like a blatant copy of a Don Post TIE helmet. And the trooper next to it is clearly a copy of a MR/eFX helmet.

Sorry, this statement is just flat out wrong.

I own one and I can say definitively it's NOT symmetrical.

As far as I'm aware there is no one offering TIE helmets with accurate hero face plates. They are all using reworked stunts. RS had access to a hero style face plate from the original LFL TIE they molded, but opted to use their stunt face instead - unless they changed it later.

The LZ TIE looks like a blatant copy of a Don Post TIE helmet. And the trooper next to it is clearly a copy of a MR/eFX helmet.

The trooper helmet is an eFX I'm reworking to get rid of the seams.

Sorry, this statement is just flat out wrong.

I own one and I can say definitively it's NOT symmetrical.

Sure looks a lot less wonky to me (Teeth, vocoder, cheek shape, even the eyes). Let's do the good old mirror check:

original
zCa3m1t.jpg

aovos
8zspV6Q.png

Sure looks a lot less wonky to me (Teeth, vocoder, cheek shape, even the eyes). Let's do the good old mirror check

Thanks, the pics show me it is wonky just like the originals. :D

They may have tweeked and cleaned up some things but it is not a true symmetrical faceplate. The teeth are especially noticeable.

Since no one as far as I know has ever molded the inside of a hero faceplate, any replica will be a tweeked or altered stunt helmet. Too bad EFX's hero helmet will never materialize.

Here is my comparison, notice the differences.
comp_zpsulohsqs0.jpg

My ANOVOS Tie helmet arrived - it definitely appears to have a symmetrical face plate. Will post some proper pics under decent lighting when I'm home. The reflections on the surface make it hard to judge but I'm 95% sure it is symmetrical. It certainly is not as uneven as it should be based on the SWhelmets review of the real thing. The little dip that should be on the back of all x-wing and tie pilot mohawks has also been corrected to a perfect semi-circle profile.

here's an EVO3 helmet I picked up a few weeks ago, not sure how accurate (or not) it is:

View attachment 690468

while we are on this topic, can anyone recommend where I could acquire some bubble lens and the side disc for this helmet?

Andy purposely made his TIE helmet "idealized" but the faceplate is allegedly derived from a screen-cast, though, he altered it to fit the goal of symmetry

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back