Garage Days Vader 1.0

BattleGrade

This is my WIP [garage days] Vader build.
Shooting for ESB'ish, mostly just Vader.
In the end I'll finish him out as ESB.

I am waiting on some other parts for my other builds so idle hands. [do the devils work]
Of course I am a old-time fan, chose the Dark Side in the 70's.

I didn't want to buy it all done and didn't want to build it all by hand, so its a do this, grab that,
refurb this kind of deal. Like buying old car parts and fix'n it up. heh

This build starts with leftover boots. [yup]

DSCN7095.JPG

Since I had these from a left-over build I was like, hey those could be Vader boots hmm.
I put 1.5" lifts in them and then a thin foam sole as they are actually way too big for my feet
which worked out perfect. I am around 5'11, the boots are about 1.5" and then add 1.5" lifts puts me
at about 6'2. The bucket is another 3-4" easy so thats about perfect and works for me.
Spent a few months, reading, looking, scanning, gathering. [data of course]

As per usual we end up with the same list of components as everyone else before and after so I am
not posting it all again. Its already well documented and part of the adventure.

Bought a bunch of pieces and they will trickle in over the next 3 months.
Most are not finished pieces so there will be some leg work to do. [the fun]

First in was the bucket:
Bought an "old dawg" and tore it down, cleaning, stripping, repaint is first order.
Then a complete redo of grill, eyes and tusks already in process.
I will place cooling fans in and also the voice changer module/mic on the mask.
I will have my Push To Talk line and batts external of the helmet.

Just prepping hardware mounting here then its off to strip and paint.

DSCN6967.JPG DSCN7008.JPG

Second item in:
Needed a LS on my hip, no blade as a static prop etc.
I already have a 2005 FX Vader sabre, but alas its blade is not "removable". [can but, no!] ;)
Found one that fit my criteria, bought it, tore it up as soon as I got it, removed the blade, reassemebled, minor weathering/paint.
Will make a good hip prop.

DSCN7037.JPG DSCN7042.JPG

Chest piece came next:
I looked at building one or buying one.
The clear choice was obvious, buy one of Portumac's killer panel kits.
Very nice kit and well thought out.

Currently under construction, paint, strapping etc.

DSCN7052.JPG DSCN7059.JPG DSCN7068.JPG DSCN7086.JPG

Today:
Vortex3 is in, it's just wonderful and heres a vid to prove it.
This is right out of the box and test, I haven't even messed with any settings yet.
One notable thing is pitch needs to go lower for my voice and vox trigger sensitivity.
I'll test some of these settings out and dial it in as I go.

DSCN7087.JPG

As soon as more stuff rolls in I'll post more madness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just love builds like this ... I have worked on a Darth 'Ugly' Vader for a client and with rejected parts, due to size and comfort, I had plenty left to start another DV for my self ... it's going to end up as Vader and his Easter Sunday Going to Church Attire i.e. mask is a mix of ANH with ESB, Cape has wine red inner liner ... collecting parts from whenever they become available is indeed the most fun :)

Chaim

Tip : If you haven't already, join the Sith Lord Detachment Forums and post at least your intro message (#1) and whether or not you're going for 501st approval, which I don't care about personally, which then will give you access to Watto's Junkyard, lots of nice parts and pieces become available when folks do upgrades on their own Vaders ;)

Tad bit of work.

Making lenses for this old dawg, I went for a DIY deal as I have some gray smoked lexan sheets already.
I have another mask to try as well so we shall see how it goes a second time on a diffent mask.
Worked well and they came out pretty smooth/clear and a nice bubble shape. Now that I have a mold I can make lenses if I need them.

DSCN7176.JPG DSCN7182.JPG

Chest straps done. These are just 1" pleather strips for fit/testing purposes.
I made my own back strap web clip deal, it's just some plastic clips and a few washers and a pop rivet.
I found some decent black leather 1" strap material so I ordered some for a swap out. [true to the code]

Painting and finish the other parts for the front face still. [ its a slow process but almost done ]

DSCN7118.JPG

Got these shins, they were molded all jack'd up [horrible fail] and why I grabbed them.
Most anyone else saw them as junk I'm sure of it, I had to have them. lol.

I imagined them as perhaps combat damaged Vader shins, could maybe make some robotic parts exposed and breaking thru, destroy them was the idea.
I plan to chop them into 3-5 pieces and add some odd details like copper hinges and hoses. [not true to the code]
A Halloween swap-out if you will, anyway they going to get hacked!

Here I marked out the first surgery lines to take place!
I will probably cut them this weekend at least in these places to start off the madness.

shinpoo.jpg

I got another set of chest armor to decide on what to do with. Still on the fence with this one as there isn't much you really can do with it.
Maybe a sabre burn across the chest or blaster impact carbon burns in a few spots.

Or how about cracked in half several inches and there are wires and tubes and mesh exposed holding it together still.
I can't decide yet so i'll wait til something grabs me or maybe I will just finish them as normal armor. heh

DSCN7218.JPG

Lots of work to do still and more parts inbound.

Those shins don't look to bad ... they were a-symmetric to begin with ... just imagine them in black and on black boots ... they'll probably be fine ... perhaps some minor trimming or sanding before painting :)

Chaim

Those shins don't look to bad ... they were a-symmetric to begin with ... just imagine them in black and on black boots ... they'll probably be fine ... perhaps some minor trimming or sanding before painting :)

Chaim

Thx Chaim,

All good points, but these have one destiny bro. You know it...
I am about to saw these into pieces so everyone turn away if you have a weak SW stomach. heh

I have decided this was going to be a Battle Damage Vader.
As if he was returning right off the battle field, great war, got lucky and made it out, most didn't.

Hm, something similar to this ...

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Darth Vader 1_zpsi8zx4qn4.jpg

now that would be a head-turner indeed :)

Chaim

Yes sir thats it, figures you would find it. Dang man spoiler alert, he he.
When I first saw him I was like yup, that's what I'm making. ;)

I will not have a full reveal, will be damaged helmet/mask however perhaps some face showing,

Some robotic parts here and there but not full limbs robotic like we see on this figure.

More so like 1/4 parts of limbs, left hand gone or metal, chest exposed, blasted open, boxes all melted and cut in half from sabre battles etc.

Cape shredded, shin guards cracked and worn, I will modify the breathing sounds on the V3 to replicate a worn, dying Vader.

This figure is my inspiration for this build.

Remember ... the golden rules of K I S S ... 'Keep It Simple Stupid' and 'Less is more' ... so leave something to the imagination of the beholder and you'll be good to go :)

Chaim

Bougth some ANH belt boxes, leds were too bright so modded them to be 1/2 dimmer.
I ordered up some potentometers so I can just adj them on the fly with a small flat head.
I wish they "all" came with that feature I seen that come up a few times about too bright to dim etc...
Here is a side by side, left is my mod, right is unmodded.

dim.jpg

Working on my ESB belt boxes and about done now, finishing up on the leds so trying a couple diff ones out
to see how they look. Diffused leds work the best but so do bright whites.
Just using a 9v to 5v power reg setup. Here I am trying out a couple different green rectangle pilot lamps side by side.

I am making two sets of these ESB so that means ESB is going to end up damaged vader.
However there is still hope for ANH to make it in the final rounds.
It will just happen so can't be sure yet.

concept_1.png leds.JPG

Working on the robotic hand concept some, slow process and I have bled a few times already.
I figure a steampunk kinda feel with a bunch of electronic parts resistors/wires strung across. [painted black, gold and silver]
Palm and back will be alum plate, with some raised features.
Half of my glove will be gone and this will be exposed as sort of a reveal thing.
This is just a mock up concept of where I am headed.

copper_pieces.jpg finger1.JPG finger2.jpg

Codpiece fun.
I realized I don't have to wait for my "pre ordered one to arrive" so I made this last Sat.
Came out ok, and doesn't really matter as its going to get a damage treatment.
Maybe a single sabre slash or a couple blaster impacts, expose some carbon fiber looking hex/mesh and wires.

cod1.JPG cod2.JPG cod3.JPG

Is this build still happening? Started mine yesterday
Yes, its still happening.

I took a small break to do some Ronan cosplay showings and that took a few of my weekends away from this build.

I have two full Vader builds and a Gundam going on at the same time so I have too multitask between them which means everything goes slow.
My ESB Vader project is all but done, so I can focus back on the other two now.

I have about 99% of everything I need for this build, so things are happening I just haven't posted any updates.

Yes, its still happening.

I took a small break to do some Ronan cosplay showings and that took a few of my weekends away from this build.

I have two full Vader builds and a Gundam going on at the same time so I have too multitask between them which means everything goes slow.
My ESB Vader project is all but done, so I can focus back on the other two now.

I have about 99% of everything I need for this build, so things are happening I just haven't posted any updates.
I just asked not to be rude or invasive, but to see what you had done:)

Alex

We are on the same path, and that's kinda cool. lol
Here's my current belt/box concept but its a wip still and much work to do.

DSCN7514.JPG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back