ROTJ Vader hilt and buyer's remorse (sorta)

tubachris85x

Master Member
So I'm a little peeved. I had made a purchase of a replica ROTJ Vader hilt off of one of the saber community facebook pages. Guy lists it as being "custom" made but with the top-half of the main body being from an "original graflex." Didn't specify what kind, but me, not needing an ROTJ version at all, thought the price was good and using an original graflex was a major selling point.

Well, I got it in yesterday...and well, I'm not an expert with graflex's but to me, this dude clearly lied to me. Biggest giveaway? The top half (possibly the bottom too now) is clearly painted w/ silver spray paint. That was partially the first clue. The 2nd one being that there's already some small nicks in the paint...and it's clearly a brass/copper color underneath it (not that gold color but a bright orangey-red)

I messaged the guy, and "confronted" him about this and he's still trying to pass it off as being an "original graflex"

Then goes on to tell me that graflex's are "nickel plated brass." There's a thread on the RPF which confirms this, however, from the looks of the nicks, it clearly was never plated...

What do you all think? Should I be upset about this? Am I wrong? I'm a bit pissed that it wasn't disclosed as being painted silver at all, it's already blemishing with little handling. Aside from this, it's not a bad replica, it's just not what I was expecting for the reason I dropped the money for it.

ROTJ vader saber hilt 1.jpg
ROTJ vader saber hilt 2.jpg
ROTJ vader saber hilt 3.jpg
ROTJ vader saber hilt 4.jpg
ROTJ vader saber hilt 5.jpg
ROTJ vader saber hilt 6.jpg
ROTJ vader saber hilt 7.jpg
ROTJ vader saber hilt 8.jpg
ROTJ vader saber hilt.jpg

It's not TERRIBLE... and you could accurize it more.

It's possible it's a graflex top... just someone tried to fix the plating and rubbed too much off,- then went full tilt with it. If not, it means he got a brass/copper pipe and a shoulder puller to get the piece lifted for the eye/valve at the bottom.

BUT... if you want to accurize it more... there are some theories that the whole graflex top is covered with a metal foil anyway.

take out whatever those bolts are on it and and get proper ones. you may be able to find a more accurate door latch around (I may have one, but would take me a while to find)

The control box is inaccurate, but passable...

I'd send it back over the silver paint alone. If it's an original graflex then I would expect to see the original finish, end of story.

It's not TERRIBLE... and you could accurize it more.

It's possible it's a graflex top... just someone tried to fix the plating and rubbed too much off,- then went full tilt with it. If not, it means he got a brass/copper pipe and a shoulder puller to get the piece lifted for the eye/valve at the bottom.

BUT... if you want to accurize it more... there are some theories that the whole graflex top is covered with a metal foil anyway.

take out whatever those bolts are on it and and get proper ones. you may be able to find a more accurate door latch around (I may have one, but would take me a while to find)

The control box is inaccurate, but passable...
Is there a source for the proper bolts and pieces? I knew going in that the box and the t tracks werent quite accurate but I'm already trying to resell this thing

- - - Updated - - -

I'd send it back over the silver paint alone. If it's an original graflex then I would expect to see the original finish, end of story.

That's precisely how I felt about it...

Black Flat Head Socket Cap Screws 1/4-20 x 1/2" - That's what I found them listed as...

As for the latch... not sure. It's british... and I MAY have an extra I can check for when back home.

I'd Hit it with gloss black, then chrome paint...

then throw these screw on...

IMG_2559.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Not hollow? What is that filled with?

COULD still be a graflex top... but man did he frak it up.

Actually disregard... probably not... the slot for the clamp looks weird. I haven't seen mine in a while, but that looks wrong.

I'm not entirely sure what it is. The bolt heads were held in by gorilla glue. The control box was held in by 2 wood screws with the tops filled (the two silver dots you see on it). The knurled screw looks like a plastic one taken off of a toy saber. Not sure what that black band around the control box was but it was held on by some e6000 from the looks of it.

Honestly I don't think I can let this thing be repainted. It's gonna look like garbage to me. I'd rather see if I can get it re-plated. It's made of brass for sure

I remember years ago (many, many years ago) there was some talk that the real saber may have been painted or covered in chrome tape, similar to the Luke/Ben shared stunt after ROTJ.

This theory was mostly based on the photo of the saber from the 'From Star Wars to Indiana Jones' book. Looking at the finish on the saber in that book it does not look like a regular Graflex finish. Way too shiny. Because of the chrome tape on the Luke/Ben saber post-ROTJ this was the more popular theory, but buffing paint was also talked about.

Personally I could easily see either. The finish does not look like nickel plated brass.

Hate to say it, but I would LOOOOOVE to rework that saber... don't bother replating... costs a fortune. Especially if you want to resell.

You can get a nice saber out of it with some work, and get your money back... I got a GARBAGE one on a bad buy, fixed it up and resold... and it was a tough resale cuz I liked the finished version a lot.

It was an aluminum pipe though, not brass. But I think you could do as James said and chrome tape it... or chrome paint it. OR Chrome paint and then try and get a brushed look with steel wool.

I guess what I need to do is have this confirmed as either being original or not. It is brass looking at it in this state. There are portions on it that are still nickel plated though. I can't imagine many replicas using brass these days over cheaper metals thay are just chromed over.

Best too to go for an "as new" look rather than weathered....

This is how the one I got looked... it was way worse in person.. gouges... sticky... I planned on using it for parts but the parts didn't fit on a graflex.

IMG_1461.JPG

Pulled it apart, cleaned all paint off... brushed the finish, swapped out for more accurate pieces... new screws... Made the front D-ring holder from scratch... cut an emitter rod.

IMG_2561.JPG

It's a great saber cuz it automatically looks junky and thrown together, so even inaccurate, it still looks great.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess what I need to do is have this confirmed as either being original or not. It is brass looking at it in this state. There are portions on it that are still nickel plated though. I can't imagine many replicas using brass these days over cheaper metals thay are just chromed over.

The only thing that made me think it may not be is that cut away for the clamp.... it seems wrong.

But others would know better... I have no reference on me.

I would take a shot but I have no time... at all... and I'm moving so soon won't even have a garage to do it in...

It would probably take far too long to finish than you'd be happy with... cuz I would do it at the same time as I refinish another Vader ROTJ I have... which is a ways down the line.

The Parks and Larbels are nickel plated brass. The Parks are great, nice and thick. The nickel plating on the Larbels is about 1 micron thick.

If the add-on parts are good and you got it cheap, you can strip the parts and get a Graflex or replica and re-build it.

The custom saber shop had bare brass Graflex replicas available several years ago, could've been one of those.

I actually have one, and now I'm thinking I should do a Vader ROTJ with it!

Who's selling kit parts to do the ROTJ Vader, these days?

Korbanth ( Randy Johnson ) over at Elite Lightsaber Society or The Vault: Custom Lightsaber Community is doing a run of these, similar to the Graflex 2.0/2.1, which are ready for electronics. I got 1 on order ( $225USD ). I'd be looking there.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back