Luke ROTJ Control Box - Which one is correct?

Andymac84

Sr Member
Or where does these designs coming from? Where are they depicted?
Rylo's version:
Parts of SW pic:

Or are there any other versions?
I'm asking because I want to do one board for myself... So which one is the one to go with?:wacko

Rylo's is a replica of a lightsaber that Elstree Props sold to a collector a few years ago. While it is pretty cool, there is some dispute about whether the Elstree Props saber was made for the production or not. A long article that dispute's its origin here.
Elstree Props has sold several other lightsabers of metal. At least one of them also opens up - and it is different on the inside.

The lightsaber on Parts of Star Wars is owned by Lucasfilm and has been shown in exhibitions. This is for sure the lightsaber that was seen in the close-up when Vader lights up Luke's lightsaber on Endor ... However ... The control box was modified after this scene was shot. The original control box had only brass brackets that held the covering circuit board flush to the control box. The modified control box has dark spacers under the brass brackets that lift them up -- supposedly to make the circuit board easier to slide.
The modified saber that has been seen in exhibitions is the one that has been replicated the most, both by fans and by official licensees.
The grip rings are somewhat uneven in width, but only a couple of fan-made replicas replicate that.
Unfortunately, that picture on PoSW is the only reference picture of the inside of the control box that I have found.

Personally, I would try to do the PoSW version, especially since I have a lightsabre with grip rings that replicate the unevenness of the original seen on screen.

Last edited:
Hi there,

here's the bigger picture of that close-up :

here's the hero as seen on screen :

and here's the MoM (Magic of Myth Exhibition) version made after production was done :

Here you see the uneven rings better :

and here you can see what the previous owner has done to the parts inside my controlbox :

-Chaim

Thanks for asking, and thanks for the info guys! I'm more of a fan of the on screen version - the simple brackets and all - however everyone seems to replicate the MoM saber. The empty space between the plate and box turns me off guess.

Right now I have a resin copy that seems to be just the plate and sidebars - however they stick out a lot more than it looks like on screen. I haven't decided if I'm going to make my own plate and sidebars or just glue this on. In these pics it's stacked on the control box already
http://www.therpf.com/f9/resin-rotj-luke-hero-build-183410/

here is the early box ROTJLuke2.jpg

and the Myth of Magic one - see what I mean? LukeROTJHero17.jpg

A lot of useful informations. That's very kind of all of you guys.
I really like your version Sym-Cha.
Here's my current built, not perfect, but built with vintage circuits:

Thank you Chaim. Much appreciated. :)So I was made it after the Elstree version. Do u know a site where I can find similar or correct electrics?
I've asked Rylo but he didn't know the sources nowadays...

Try...they may not be vintage, but try mouser.com or MCMelectronics

btw, I love your control box guts!

At my dad's attic ... I have a whole bunch of vintage resistors in all kinds of sizes from Philips the electric razor manufacturer. Let me know what you need for your project, okay?

-Chaim

Hey Andymac84,

Do you have a larger picture of Rylo's controlbox so I can see the exact colors better on the resistors?

By the way I think your attempt is gorgeous and suits it's purpose intended in a controlbox very well indeed.

-Chaim

Hey Andymac84,

Do you have a larger picture of Rylo's controlbox so I can see the exact colors better on the resistors?

-Chaim

Hey guys, I do have one from a recent sell on eBay of a Rylo's. If you want an even better one, I can take one tonight and upload it.

PhotoMay06212349_zpsa2efe46e.jpg

Much appreciated. Great shot. Maybe a pic with the lid removed would be great.
How's the auction ended? How many have u paid for it?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Andymac84,
By the way I think your attempt is gorgeous and suits it's purpose intended in a controlbox very well indeed.
-Chaim

Thanks a lot bro! :)
Well, it was so much fun in doing this, I would like to do it again and pushing me personally to more accuracy:thumbsup

Much appreciated. Great shot. Maybe a pic with the lid removed would be great.
How's the auction ended? How many have u paid for it?

Alright. I will take a picture of the whole thing tonight and will post it here.

That auction on eBay ended really high. It was sold for $1,250. I had to pass on it; my max bid was $1,000. Then I created a WTB thread on the Junkyard and a member contacted me right away; he sold me his Rylo Reveal for $800. Really nice item. Have been working on some slight modifications to get it right for me, but overall it is worth what you pay for it.

If you're building your own, I wouldn't use any Earth components. It just doesn't look right. I'd just make up some stuff and put in there.

In the ROTJ deleted scene where Luke builds his new lightsaber there are grey bars on the control box complete with blinking LED arrows. Even though we never saw the saber like this in the final film technically it is a production configuration of the prop and not modified for the MoM exhibit.

Attached is a really poor screen capture but you can still see the dark grey bars.

The gaps the bar spacers create bothers me also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back