Savage toolbox question

rescue542

I’m working on getting my tools collection built up and I’ve been trying to decide where to start on builds. Then it dawned on me that I’ve gotten a good number of tools but nothing to keep them in. So I had thought about building Adam’s toolboxes before but now it’s become a bit of a necessity haha. I’ve got the basic measurements of 17”L, 9”W and 12” tall (6” for the box and 6” for the lid). However the overall length of material for the curved lid I can’t find. I want to keep it as close to his actual boxes so if anyone that’s built one or has the measurements can let me know the length of the Al sheet used for the curved part so I can get and correct curve degree it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Update: thanks to the blueprints I got and looking and trying to take measurements on my computer (tricky at best) I figured the base has a height of 5” and the lid is 7”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
2Q==

Found this on my hard drive... Hope it helps

2Q==
toolbox_sample.JPG

Attachments

• 52119-screen-shot-2013-08-13-at-2.png
    52119-screen-shot-2013-08-13-at-2.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 562
Yeats yes!! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I was able to get some info from previous threads but since they’re older and just about all the pictures with measurements are gone so this is a huge help. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at things again it almost looks like the lower half is 5” tall and the lid section is 7” tall. I wish I could find a copy of the pictures he sent to everyone attempting the build.

Ok, things have moved from planning to mock up. I’ve made templates and a really really rough cardboard mock up. So now it’s time to start obtaining the material and work on getting this thing made.

b93bc0e79851e8fe74e5bedecb169316.jpg

5c81299b2c8159e99445037bda608113.jpg

Nice, another toolbox in the making :D.

Here's the dimensions on my toolbox, these were mm conversions from the tape measure photos Adam posted somewhere on here I think it was.

Savage Dimensions.jpg

Keep the progress pics coming, it's cool seeing other builds of these!

On the lid dimension you are seeking, this is a tricky part.

View attachment 796509

An edit here because my original simplified idea wouldn't work due to the floating centre point of the arc. I'm not entirely sure how to pull all this off on paper because of that, but the dimensions shown are what I ended up with using 1mm sheet and 3mm angle.

Since I used software, it allowed me to conform the curve as explained and sorted out the 'floating' centre point of the arc as shown. Using Autodesk Inventor, this toolbox was my learning on how to draw.

Another edit: fixed the arc length dimension. Also, you can get very similar results here, though it won't help you a lot without knowing the angle:
https://planetcalc.com/1421/

Attachments

• Lid.PNG
    Lid.PNG
    338 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Clarifying, 156mm = 160mm total height minus sheet thickness of 1mm minus bracket thickness of 3mm.

Use the edge length instead of the straight length, that will show proper radius:

Lid2.PNG

Last edited:
Thank you so much!!!! This is exactly what else I needed. I couldn’t remember the math to determine the surface area of an arc. And I wouldn’t have thought about the thickness of the sheet and bracket being added in. Again thank you very much!!

ebswift I took your suggestion and after drawing, erasing and redrawing many lines I was able to get a good solid template out of paper. Next I’ll transfer it to cardstock or cardboard so I have a rigid template for multiple uses.
b1d8fa455fd75b7e1e0fb0eab03b2bf2.jpg

rescue542 How's it going with this, I hope you are still working on it. I got some math help on Reddit (because it was bugging me so much) and got our formula for working out the offset below centre for the lid curve based on the dimensions in the pics above:

156-156*COS(ACOS((SQRT(114^2 + 156^2 )/2)/156)-ATAN(114/156))=5.731

So, 156 high, 114 wide:

Draw a circle rad 156mm, measure 5.731mm (or thereabouts) down from the centre of the circle and measure out a 114mm line from the left edge of the circle. Draw a line 90 degrees straight up and that should give you 156mm height.

That's the formula to account for any material thicknesses and whatever lid dimension you want.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back