Help Requested: Iron Man on a budget...

twistedscorpio

I heard you guys are the best of the pros, and from the things I'm seeing on these posts, I was not misled at all. I'm looking to make an Iron Man costume for my 8 year old (48 inches tall), and I need to do it on a budget, because I've got to split this year's Halloween budget between 3 kids. (Note: when the girls pick something, I may be back for more help! :) )

I'm not even remotely experienced with costume making of this sort. My cosplay experiences have been limited to wigs + finding perfect articles of clothing and accessories that combined to make the costume. I can barely sew, but I can handle a hot glue gun and painting. Paper mache doesn't sounds too tough, but it's been 20 years since I've done it. I heard that's a good place to start. I don't know what I'm doing at all, I just want to let my son have a decent costume for a change. Anyone have any tips? Suggestions? Ideas on where I might find scrap costume pieces? I don't even know where to begin...

Thank you for reading.

If you are on a tight budget, might I suggest you download pepakura designer and familiarise yourself with scaling a pepakura file to fit your son? You can print out and assemble the pattern to build your IM suit. You could cover it in papier mache instead of body filler. It may require some final sanding, but it should be easy considering it is mainly paper + pva.

I would recommend foam building. It's good for beginners, and inexpensive. Here's a useful thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/jfcustoms-foam-files-148889/

You need to download Pepakura designer, and whichever suit files you want. You'd need to scale them down in pepakura.

I'm with Bogleo, use foam for a quick and cheaper build, modge podge as a sealer and some basic cans of spray paint. Worked okay for me. There is a pic of my foam mk VII on my Deadpool thread.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back