Blade Runner 2049 Dr Ana Stelline's Memory Maker Controller

Helpful Nerd

Sr Member
After seeing Blade Runner 2049 I fell in love with the "Memory Maker Controller" as I call it. I found the following thread where us RPF folk have shared reference pics and discussed this prop:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=282436

There's a lot of good reference pics on that thread.

I decided to tackle this prop and make myself a replica so I started 3D modeling the parts. I'm new to 3D modeling. I have 3 3D printers and I print prop replicas all the time, but I figured I'd use this prop project as a DIY lesson in 3D modeling. I've done some basic 3D modeling for some other projects, but I've never tried to 3D model a prop before.

This will be a fun adventure.

Here's the screenshot reference I took from the movie.

screenshot 1.PNGscreenshot 4.PNGscreenshot 5.PNGscreenshot 6.PNGscreenshot 7.PNGscreenshot 8.PNGscreenshot 9.PNG

I also took some screenshots for reference from the Tested YouTube video where @asavage toured the props from Doug's shop.

Capture2.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture5.PNGCapture4.PNGCapture6.PNGCapture7.PNG

First thing I did was to make a general mockup in TinkerCad to see if I could actually do this with 3D modeling. I made a basic 3D representation.

Memory Orb.PNG

Next, I focused on the right side of the Memory Maker and started flushing out more detail.

Memory Orb Right Side.PNG

I'm gonna keep going with this. I'm making up the measurements based on educated guesses using the reference images. I'm going to continue in this direction. If anyone finds some accurate measurements please share that. And I'm totally open to ideas, suggestions and feedback. I'm just getting started and I'll post updates as this project continues.

Thanks
Joshua aka helpfulnerd

Last edited:
Following! Looks nice!

What is your current size estimate?

Hey Buch, thanks man, I studied some 3D modeling (Lightwave 3D) in college years ago and made some cool things. I thought maybe I was going to go into CGI work for movies, but took a different path. I'm pleased with the progress I've made so far.

Regarding the size: The outer half ring is 127 mm x 127 mm (OD), 5 inches. Some of the other rings with the buttons will be a bit larger. That's my best guess based on the actress' hand holding the prop and of Doug holding the prop during Adam's visit to his shop. I think that's a safe bet for now.

Do you think 5 inches is on point? Or do think it's smaller / larger?

Wow it looks really awesome :) Size is also impressive.

Thanks Vinis. :thumbsup

Also....

that's what she said.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Alright so I duplicated the right side and now I have a right and left side in the 3D model.

When I get some time on my days off I'll start modeling some of the middle rings.

Memory Controller Left and Right Side.PNG

Regarding the size: The outer half ring is 127 mm x 127 mm (OD), 5 inches

That sounds like a good starting point. There really is no way of knowing by now. I can't seem to find any photos with the damn thing next to anything we actually know the size of :(

Can't wait to see more!

I realize that Harlocker said that the memory controller is custom-made, but the props dept may have used actual camera lens parts to base their dimensions, as was discussed in the other thread based on the designer's concept pictures. So if the props dept used a Nikon fixed 300mm lens f2.8, then the ring's OD would be 124mm or 4.8 inches. (Btw, I'm guessing that the camera lens ring went up to 300 at most. Also, I'm referring to the black inner ring as illustrated in the attached photo.)
Device6.jpg
On the other hand, Nikon zoom lens that range up to 300mm seem to be too small to work for this prop.

Otherwise, we could make estimates based on how big Carla Juri and Harlocker are. Carla Juri is around 5'8" and Harlocker appears to be about 5'7" but we don't know their hand sizes (which is probably much more important here).

Last edited:
For what it may be worth in pinning down device scale, it looks like the hard cases being used by Harlocker's crew for this device (and the blasters) are 5.11 Tactical's model 1750. The dimensions are 20.38" x 11.44" x 7.5"

Last edited:
Was able to flush out the middle rings. So far so good, at least for now.

When I get some more time this week I'll work on more buttons and other details including the neck strap bracket.

At this point I have no idea how to add the text and markings to the rings. I'll cross that bridge. I have plenty to work on for now.

Memory Controller Full.PNG

More to come.

Joshua

Also, that looks a bit like a 9 volt battery in the case behind the memory maker.

View attachment 784283

Ya know, I just realized that I missed some detail on the end of the controller. Thanks for sharing this picture.

And yeah I agree that its a 9V battery, which is good for scale. Once I add the rest of the buttons and detail I'll 3D print the parts to see how the scale looks in the real world and set a 9 Volt next to it to see how close I am.

Last edited:
Good progress so far. One recommendation though: Do yourself a favor and use a more powerful tool for your modeling. Like Fusion360 (it's free for hobbyists).
Why? Because it is much easier for a complex part like this and you can always go back and edit parts of it later on. This will be quite a pain with tinkercad.

Also you can already see the low resolution of the part. This resolution will be visible in your prints. This is an artifact of tinkercad.

Just my 2 cents.

Fusion360 (it's free for hobbyists).
Why? Because it is much easier for a complex part like this and you can always go back and edit parts of it later on. This will be quite a pain with tinkercad.

Unfortunately Fusion360 only works on 64bit systems. My old macbook runs 32bit and it won’t download... :(

I'm gonna stick with Tinkercad for now.

But I'll take a look at Fusion360 soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:
Well, I suspect I am way ahead in asking this but here goes... If you complete a final version in the real world, any chance you will offer it as a kit or finished version? Static or working, either would be cool to me. I am very interested. Thanks!

Well, I suspect I am way ahead in asking this but here goes... If you complete a final version in the real world, any chance you will offer it as a kit or finished version? Static or working, either would be cool to me. I am very interested. Thanks!

Nothing wrong with asking, it's all good!

I will most likely offer a kit to anyone that is interested. I'll cross that bridge for sure once I am happy with the final 3D model. And of course I want to get feedback from fellow RPFers before I call it done.

The logical conclusion to this build is to start a run thread for anyone interested. As for Static vs. Working version I'd love to be able to turn the different sections the way Dr. Stelline does in the movie. Some movement with the finished prop is my goal. Perhaps I'll do a v1 (static) first and then go from there.

I appreciate the interest! :thumbsup

Cheers! :cheers

Joshua

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back