OWK Grenade, Too Far Gone?

Wayne R.

At the weekend I visited a militaria fair and managed to finally find a No.3 MKI grenade, practically throwing my money at the seller (someone's going to ask, so to save time, it was £20). I'm now wondering if it was the wisest decision ever, as it's a lot more dinged up than a lot of the ones used here on the forum.
It's also missing a few parts, so the query is twofold:

Is this a bit too busted up to use for an Obi saber?

Is it possible to use repro parts to replace the missing bits and would they fit without too much pain?

DSCF0581.JPG

Many thanks in advance.

Thats really only a question YOU can answer.. (unless the prop is a commission for someone else?)

How much of a weathered look are you going for?

"I" personally think its a bit too far gone.. but thats just me.. (and I dont do very many weather props, slightly weathered if any)...

So really its up to does it fit your project needs/goals?

Awesome price and find!

As someone already mentioned, it's up to you to decide how 'weathered' you want your grenade to be for you build. At the very least it would make a nice display piece if you decide to try and find a more pristine one for your build...

But in terms of an actual Obi build itself, you've got all of the main pieces there - frag body and stem - the main thing you're missing is the wind vane ring.

Roman sells replica grenade parts so you should be able to get the necessary parts for either an Obi build or a full grenade display piece from him whichever way you decide to go....

Thanks for the input, all. The real deal would be nice to have, but some of the remaining parts aren't likely to turn up for the kind of prices my pocket was designed for. Repros will be fine and maybe they can be swapped out later on.

In other news, it was interesting to make a size comparison between the authentic grenade and a couple of things from the archives. That's a hand-machined ebay saber by maker unknown from (at best guess) the early 2000s, and a wooden clay roller that looked pretty close at the time.

DSCF0582.JPG

Obi Wan "ABUODS" - "As Blown Up On Death Star".

I keed, I keed. Cool find. I would have grabbed it too if I had come across it.

Last edited:
Wayne, if you’ll cover shipping, I can send you some “bits”. Send me a PM if you’re interested.

Attachments

• 08178ACF-80F5-441B-B00F-B108B82B2593.jpeg
    08178ACF-80F5-441B-B00F-B108B82B2593.jpeg
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 181
I had to use a repro neck on mine and I’m okay with it, since it was bent. The steel, when cleaned up a bit, is still pretty durable, I wouldn’t tap out yet!

fir a price like that, there’s something special about a relic saber. I would make a unique build if I were you :)

Hey @Wayne R. ! I'm with newmagrathea and thd9791, it might clean up nicer than you think it would. I'll tell you what I told userd1402 when he picked up his Hale's Grenade that looked similar:

Soak it in Mineral Spirits to remove the cosmoline. If you're impatient, dunk it in there and scrub it with an old toothbrush.

Hopefully yours will turn out to be cosmoline, userd1402's turned out to be paint and he had a bit more work to do on his!

Once, you get the cosmoline off, you'll be left with the challenge of dealing with the rust beneath it. You can use plain white vinegar to kill and remove the rust from the grenade. I did the one teecrooz gifted to me in a small glass jar with a toothbrush so that I could monitor how aggresively the vinegar was working on the rust. I feared if it was rusted straight through, that I would end up with a whole jar full of rust deposits and no grenade. Thankfully it cleaned up decently and I didn't wreck it with my restoration efforts.

If you're very careful you can apply slight pressure to the rust that is filling the V-Grooves of the fragmentation section and it will crush into smaller bits or pop out of the groove altogether. Just be mindful of what the shapes of the cubes are so that you're not pressing on them! If the cube is rusted through, you'll remove whatever's not good steel anymore. Patience and slow progression will be your ally!!!

After you're satisfied with your rust removal, wash the grenade with clear soap and water. Dry it thouroughly. WD-40 it, or coat it with fresh motor oil if you're not going to 'blue' it or paint it right away in order to prevent further rusting.

If you want to 'blue' the grenade, I'd go with Nu-Blu...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OWLHKH...ails?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1476988382&sr=1-1

Good Luck! And show us your progress pics!

I think you have a nice pineapple there! I agree that it will probably look much nicer after clean up.

I built a relic version of the saber and judge for yourself but I really like how it turned out. I have a cleaner clamp that makes it look more normal when I want but I keep the weathered one on most of the time. Relic builds grow on you!

I think yours may clean up even better than mine. Can't wait to see.
Best of luck on the build and congrats!

Wide hero.jpg
IMG_5952.JPG

Thats really only a question YOU can answer.. (unless the prop is a commission for someone else?)

How much of a weathered look are you going for?

"I" personally think its a bit too far gone.. but thats just me.. (and I dont do very many weather props, slightly weathered if any)...

So really its up to does it fit your project needs/goals?

I think at that point you have to write it as WEATHERED if it looks like that! I say go for a custom saber that some Jedi dropped when he was killed during Order 66.

I would look into barricade for rust prevention. It’s meant for blues gun metal (steel) and I have my ESB Denix coated in it. I also used it on the rusty screws in my air pistol I’m turning into a Jabba’s guard blaster. Scottjua put me up to it and it’s mucj nicer than WD- 40

I agree with a prior comment--it could be the version of Kenobi's saber that was picked up by salvors who collected the scrap metal from the destroyed Death Star I; completely intact and functional.

For that price?!

You scored, dude!

Once the goop is off you may be surprised! There looks to be some sharp edges there.

Hey @Wayne R. ! I'm with newmagrathea and thd9791, it might clean up nicer than you think it would. I'll tell you what I told userd1402 when he picked up his Hale's Grenade that looked similar:

Soak it in Mineral Spirits to remove the cosmoline. If you're impatient, dunk it in there and scrub it with an old toothbrush.

Hopefully yours will turn out to be cosmoline, userd1402's turned out to be paint and he had a bit more work to do on his!

I have never heard of cosmoline before, despite looking at a great many saber replicas. That one slipped under the radar.
In the past I've used citric acid to remove rust from chrome bike parts, so there's some of that around somewhere. And it turns out that Mineral Spirits are what we Brits call White Spirit, so again, nothing there's not a supply of in the shed.
Of course pics!

And thanks to everyone else for the input, it really looked like a dud for a while but now, not so much.

Last edited:
That grenade is a full on score as far as I'm concerned. I would have jumped at the chance at that for 20 quid!

Which fair did you get it from?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back