*2.0 UPGRADE!! New progress on page 8!* Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread

Re: Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread

UPDATES!

Gauntlets have arrived from Tiger Stone, and once again they're absolutely beautiful. I think they switched to smooth-on between my first pair and my second, and man what a difference. Love these new ones. I'll be doing my paint up just a bit differently this time so hopefully I'll have a post about that explaining how to do it. The last pieces I need are the gloves and boots.

I also hope this will be useful to anyone doing rangs!
As you guys may be able to tell, I love to constantly work and re-work pieces.. Trying my best to give helpful tips and suggestions along the way.

Today, I decided that maybe my painted edges of the Batarangs (seen a few pages back) could use just a little spicing up... I took Nashua Foil Tape from Home Depot (very inspired by asavage and his use of foil tape on Tested!) and very carefully applied it to the edges. I think maybe I can try again and get the seams a little better, but for now I'm happy. For people who maybe don't have access to chrome paints or just want that aluminum shine I really do recommend it!

Hopefully I've also demonstrated the chrome to black effect!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Something I hadn't considered.. I have absolutely no clue where to photograph the finished Knigjtmare Batman. Where he is on display in my house is very lackluster.. I think I'll have to drag him to the beach for the proper sandy look, LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

what fabric did you use for the front of the gun?

Sorry I missed your post bud. I actually haven't found a great fabric yet. Right now, it's just some cheese cloth that's been lightly weathered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey folks! Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I recently had shoulder surgery and I'll be one armed for a good month or so. It makes it very hard to move Batman around or get photos.

I finished these Gauntlets up last month and never got around to posting them. Same process as before, with some changes in the paint and application method as well as an invisible zipper in the accurate location. I also painted on fake desert dust, as I felt it would help tie the final look together. I need to put the gloves on and give everything a final pass of weathering, but other than that he's done! Let's just say, he's a real head turner. ;)

I don't know when I'll be able to take photos of the full finished figure, but I hope it will be soon. For now, my focus is on recovery. It will be a while before another update, but rest assured.. The Bat is done. :)

image.jpegimage.jpeg

This looks great man. It's nice to see that you're at the end of your build and I'm at the start of mine. I'm definitely drawing inspiration from yours. Happy Recovery!

This looks great man. It's nice to see that you're at the end of your build and I'm at the start of mine. I'm definitely drawing inspiration from yours. Happy Recovery!

Thanks bud, I appreciate it! Best of luck on your build.. Looks like you're off to a great start!

Re: Mr. Mold Maker's Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread and BvS COWL SCULPT

Did you cut these pants to feed the whole knee pad through? Small square and then sew up?

Re: Mr. Mold Maker's Apocalypse/Knightmare Batman Build Thread and BvS COWL SCULPT

Did you cut these pants to feed the whole knee pad through? Small square and then sew up?

Sorry for the late reply bud.

I actually removed the rubber bit off the "pad." I used some Velcro stitched to the pants and stuck to the rubber to attach them.

I can't believe I never updated this thread! Many apologies for the folks following along oh so long ago.. I "finished" the statue (as in good enough at the time) and put it in the corner and healed from my surgery.
Well.. the time has come where it sitting in the corner mostly "finished" wasn't quite good enough. The size of the mannequin and looseness of the suit bothered me quite a bit, as well as the closed eye lifecast. The pants are also way too small..

As to remedy the size issue.. I've started blocking out a muscle suit for the figure about two hours ago. Ran out of clay unfortunately but I should be able to stay back to it soon. The goal will be to mold the sculpture and run urethane pieces to glue to the mannequin, and then glue the suit to it. This will not be a wearable muscle suit.

IMG_2532.JPGIMG_2531.JPGIMG_2396.JPGIMG_2395.JPG

Keep keep an eye out folks.. this figure just may end up being cool after all!

Good news and bad news...
The bad news is.. I am a dummy and I should have secured that mannequin on a better base before I started sculpting! I came home and it was fallen over in the garage.. sculpt is pretty much a goner.
The good news is when I have some more time and money, I'll weld a stand for the piece and resculpt it. Luckily I was only a few hours into the sculpt and I can easily replicate where I was headed.

In other news, I did a quick two hour sculpt of this Robin mask (in the style of the DOJ Batcowl) as a test piece for running foam latex. I intend to make a batcowl with a turning head.. learning the ins and outs of foam latex seems like the best place to start.
This piece has already been molded and cored, and I'll hopefully find a nice sunbeam mixer this weekend or get one on Amazon to make my first foam copy!

IMG_3816.JPGIMG_3819.JPG

If anyone is curious about how I molded the piece, I thew some quick flashing on to get rid of the under cuts on the face, used a rondo surface coat, 5 layers of 10oz cloth, and a finishing layer of 6oz for smoothness. The inside was essentially the same. It's not my cleanest mold and I still need to give it a safety sand but it should work perfectly for what I need.

And yes, those bolts are ridiculously long. It's all I had and the hardware store was closed. I'll get appropriate bolts this weekend. :lol

IMG_3853.JPGIMG_3854.JPG

I will be pouring silicone on the headcast for my foam bat cowl tomorrow if all goes well, but in the mean time I decided to practice with the sculpt a little. Here is a cowl inspired by the DOJ one with a few changes. Mostly the ears being longer, and some subtle changes to anatomy. It's a bit closer to Jose's concept sculpt than the final cowl, which I dig and will probably play with when I do the turning foam cowl. I am only three hours into this so still figuring it all out but I hope at least some of you folks dig it.

I might pick up more clay and finish this cowl up for fun, but it won't be run in foam.

IMG_4629.JPG

093FA347-A25B-4633-BDC0-10C0295A249C.jpg

A fun little comparison of the cowl I was sculpting when I started this thread, and the cowl I'm sculpting now. I spent three or four weeks working on that old cowl.. A years time does crazy stuff to ya if you keep working. I can't wait to see where I am at in another years time. You can be sure I'll be sculpting Batman again... and again... and again... and again.. and...

IMG_7285.JPGIMG_7286.JPG

My Knightmare statue hit the gym!

After its spill on the garage floor, I picked it up and resculpted what I could. Lost the arms but luckily they aren't necessary for the Knightmare look. I will resculpt them, and sculpt the back and legs in the future I think. He's also getting a cowl upgrade! Shifting over from the statue based cowl to a Reevz V3 DOJ. It's all coming together once again!

IMG_7310.JPG

Bullet holes added to the emblem. Super glue, baby powder, paint.

Not "accurate" but it looks cool enough that I'm happy with it. I can't wait to share the full figure. Some things to tidy up, small changes to make. Keep an eye out folks!

Opening the eyes and retooling an Affleck lifecast to be run in silicone. The bolts that lock into the mold, so when I cast the piece I have hollows for the eyes to just slot into. It's a lot easier and quicker than having to cut holes for the eyes.

IMG_7604.JPGIMG_7602.JPG

Last edited:

IMG_7501.JPG

Sorry for the crap photo, lost light very quickly today. Made some boot covers today, and ordered an accurate Safariland holster and some gloves. Reevz cowl will be here Saturday, and I'll be molding the face insert shortly!

I don't know if anyone is still following this, but I'll keep updating. It'll be great to look back on.

View attachment 781196

Sorry for the crap photo, lost light very quickly today. Made some boot covers today, and ordered an accurate Safariland holster and some gloves. Reevz cowl will be here Saturday, and I'll be molding the face insert shortly!

I don't know if anyone is still following this, but I'll keep updating. It'll be great to look back on.

awesome work as always love the way you making your silicone life cast

Yarooon

IMG_0061.JPGIMG_0073.JPGIMG_0074.JPGIMG_0077.JPGIMG_0078.JPG

Very long journey to get this thing finished but I'm happy to call it (almost, damn it!) done!
Got to get teeth in the Ben cast, leather strap on the gun, and then finally a base of some kind. A few more photos are in the batsuit thread but this is it folks.

I'm happy to announce my next project here..

A foam latex, *turning* BvS Batcowl. A scan file has been modified and sent off for printing, I'll be retooling it slightly in clay, then casting foam latex cowls with some engineering in the neck for turning. It may take a while, as this Knightmare Bat did, but trust me, it will be worth the wait!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back