Daryl Dixon Vest

vest.jpg
Thought I'd show an updated version of my vest!
Soooooo much better than my previous attempts, I traced an enlarged image of the actual wings from screenshots so that the pattern would be 98% correct and then embroidered the wings myself on the machine!
Still not 100% right so I'm having another go soon

Looking through the posts in this thread, I just have to ask... did you time travel back to my bedroom in the 90s for some of those pictures? :)

Seriously though, looking good!

Nice job on the wings! Did you just draw it on and trace it with an embroidery stitch?

Here is mine. I just drew it on with a sharpie then stitched it down about a half inch from the edge and then frayed the hell out of it!

darylvestback.jpg

I printed off a template (created by drawing over a screen shot of the original wings in paint) , then I put oil pastel on the back of those so that I could draw over the lines and transfer the image to the fabric before going over it with a tight zig zag stitch.
From looking at screen shots it appears that the lines aren't actually very thick, its more of a thin straight stitch than a thicker zig zag with some parts made thicker by pen detailing and so for my next attempt I'm going to do the lines thinner and see how it looks.

drneville, The last couple episodes of Season 4 used the "new" vest you show in the upper left. The wings look like they were made by a child. The vest also has plain snaps on the front, so I think it was totally custom made and not just modified like the original (which also had some tweaks on the wings).

The original vest showed up at least once in Season 5 that I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just find it strange they don't have a few identical vests on set.
I've noticed he didn't had the vest on as much in the first 2 or 3 seasons, just a shirt... now it's trademark Daryl Dixon :cool

Thanks for the reply...

View attachment 456809
Thought I'd show an updated version of my vest!
Soooooo much better than my previous attempts, I traced an enlarged image of the actual wings from screenshots so that the pattern would be 98% correct and then embroidered the wings myself on the machine!
Still not 100% right so I'm having another go soon
What did you use to get the wings that dark (greenish) color, looks awesome.
My vest is done, but the wings are still to light, yours is spot on imo...

Thanks in advance :)

I used tea and acrylic paint on that one but this is my new one and I think it's my best yet
vest.jpg
I used Tea and a mix of brown acrylic paints again but also grease and oil from a car gearbox!
I think i've got it nearly bang on with this one, the size seems right, The feathers are 98% correct, the thickness of the lines is better (it's more of a single straight stitch and a wide one) and the general weatherdness all looks good.
I think it could do with being a bit darker but it depends what season it's from.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back