diy rotocasting/molding

Kainkelly

Hello I am Kain Kelly,
I am looking for information on rotocasting/molding. I have a project that requires limited run plastic rectangles, that must be thicker on the ends then in the middle. Could I achive this just by spinning it on only one axis? Thank you for advice and guidance!

Sincerely,
Kain Kelly

Sorry, before responding to your request I'll need some kind of drawing of the effect you want to achieve.

Some roto-casting is done by hand...It takes quite the experience to do so. I used to "roto-cast" thin soldiers (1/25th scale): plaster molds mainly and hot lead. Pour it in, close the mold and do some kind of N.S/ E.W. movements with my hand/arm. If it was a dud, nothing was lost: re-heat the lead, and voilà: another try.
For resin or other type of plastic, you obviously cannot melt it again. There's a few types of machines/techniques also. Look at machines to make chocolate bunnies, interesting for sure! There's also the "ball" technique: secure your mold into a 2 part sphere, then roll your sphere on a square piece of wood ( length is different according to the type of resin/plastic you'll be using and the details in the mold) and between "railings" that are on each side of the sphere (guiding system). So by marking your sphere accordingly (North/South, East/West) you'll be rolling that sphere, around and around that square base, guided by those wooden railings nailed around that base.
I'll post a drawing if my explanations are uncleared:)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back