Forestarr

Ok, saw a bunch of Star Wars props at the Planet Hollywood restaurant in Disney Springs, wondering about the authenticity of these props. Will try to post more detailed pics.

Attachments

• IMG_4198.JPG
    IMG_4198.JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_4204.JPG
    IMG_4204.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 381
  • IMG_4203.JPG
    IMG_4203.JPG
    949.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_4202.JPG
    IMG_4202.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 533
  • IMG_4201.JPG
    IMG_4201.JPG
    631.6 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 400
  • IMG_4199.JPG
    IMG_4199.JPG
    708.1 KB · Views: 882
Last edited:
Some more picsIMG_4209.JPGIMG_4207.JPGIMG_4210.JPGIMG_4211.JPGIMG_4212.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I'm currently at the restaurant, and there's a family right next to us (under the Star Wars display) so I can't exactly get close up shots without crushing their children. We're under the Back to the Future set-up, let me know if anyone's interested in some pics of Marty's BTTF3 Cowboy clothes or one of the hoverboards, or the Texaco vehicle, or one of the flying cars.

In 2002 these were on display in a store in the Marketplace (or whatever name it had that month).
There was an unpainted X-Wing in that display. Since all of the other props are the same, the X probably is, too, which would mean it got painted. It doesn't look like an ILM paint job.

Ah, so someone painted the X-wing. Does that take away some of its value? Also, do you happen to know if any of these props were linked to the original movies or not (since I doubt Dave prowse really wore that vader mask and that the other props were used in filming)? Thank you for the new info!

Eh, I'd take these display pieces with a GIANT grain of salt. Years ago, when Planet Hollywood at Downtown Disney was still relatively "new," they had a number of "star wars props" on display similar to this, but I remember being just a DH-17 rebel blaster and a Medal of Yavin "replica." I will tell you, having owned/sold 2nd gen screen-cast MoY years ago, that the one on display was disgustingly inaccurate, much like the on seen in this thread https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=184729

Additionally, I could be wrong, but that Vader face-mask looks like a re-painted Rubies Supreme vader. I don't recall screen used vader helmets ever using velcro, and that piece of velcro is placed in the same location as the Rubies. Plus, the rest of the physical features just scream Rubies to me.

I just assume that none of this restaurant/tourist attraction stuff is authentic unless proven otherwise. Planet Hollywood has been pretty dubious with their props. Didn't they have an Indy jacket on display that wasn't even the right style?

The Vader helmet is definitely not a Rubies -- unless we're talking a significantly reworked recast (detail next to the nose, the right tusk tip is fractured). Velcro was indeed used on ESB and RotJ helmets, though not on ANH, and the ANH helmet is in France these days. Paint job is funky though that demarcation line on the forehead seems familiar to me. If it isn't a fan casting (I'm thinking SPFX or similar source if it is) then it's possibly a promotional casting. Very hard to say without seeing the right side and top.

Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Dave

The Vader helmet is definitely not a Rubies -- unless we're talking a significantly reworked recast (detail next to the nose, the right tusk tip is fractured). Velcro was indeed used on ESB and RotJ helmets, though not on ANH, and the ANH helmet is in France these days. Paint job is funky though that demarcation line on the forehead seems familiar to me. If it isn't a fan casting (I'm thinking SPFX or similar source if it is) then it's possibly a promotional casting. Very hard to say without seeing the right side and top.

Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Dave
It looks like a ghost host helmet, it uses Velcro instead of the pipe connectors

It looks like a ghost host helmet, it uses Velcro instead of the pipe connectors

Not a Ghost Host ANH to be certain. I've owned one of those and that is much more sanitized than this one at PH. It might be a similar source to a GH RotJ without the pipe connector installed -- the undercuts around the nose are similar. Not a VP either as it's missing the "sausages' or whatever you want to call them along the left whisker.

Well this is interesting! .. I'm fairly sure that Vader facemask is the one in this image I scanned from an auction catalogue years ago.

V12.jpg

I won't be able to get to the catalogue itself for a couple of weeks, but unless someone beats me to it I'll post the lot description when I can. If I remember correctly it sold for quite a modest sum in early 90's I think at Sotheby's in London.

I always wondered where this ended up, thanks Forestarr!

Not a Ghost Host ANH to be certain. I've owned one of those and that is much more sanitized than this one at PH. It might be a similar source to a GH RotJ without the pipe connector installed -- the undercuts around the nose are similar. Not a VP either as it's missing the "sausages' or whatever you want to call them along the left whisker.
ANH Vader has a small vent triangle on the front. Rotj and esb are both the wider and larger vents but the paint scheme for the Vader in the pic doesn't look like ANH

ANH Vader has a small vent triangle on the front. Rotj and esb are both the wider and larger vents but the paint scheme for the Vader in the pic doesn't look like ANH

You are correct that ESB and RotJ helmets have a wider chin vent. However, in production they used a casting of the ANH and modified it by, among other things, cutting out the larger vent. What I was suggesting is that the helmet was potentially from a similar source before it had the chin cut out and top modified and with this one they only cut out the ANH vent portion.

@ Gonk27 THAT's where I've seen that before -- Sotheby's auction -- I thought that funky paint job looked familiar.

Last edited:
You are correct that ESB and RotJ helmets have a wider chin vent. However, in production they used a casting of the ANH and modified it by, among other things, cutting out the larger vent. What I was suggesting is that the helmet was potentially from a similar source before it had the chin cut out and top modified and with this one they only cut out the ANH vent portion.

@ Gonk27 THAT's where I've seen that before -- Sotheby's auction -- I thought that funky paint job looked familiar.

ah now I see alright

Well this is interesting! .. I'm fairly sure that Vader facemask is the one in this image I scanned from an auction catalogue years ago.

View attachment 757771

I won't be able to get to the catalogue itself for a couple of weeks, but unless someone beats me to it I'll post the lot description when I can. If I remember correctly it sold for quite a modest sum in early 90's I think at Sotheby's in London.

I always wondered where this ended up, thanks Forestarr!

Sotheby's Film and Animation Art, 8th June 1993. 503 A Darth Vader face mask from "Star Wars" 1976. In black and grey painted fibreglass, pale amber eyepieces, elasticated backstrap, the interior with chalked number 3, 30 cm; 12 in high, slight damage to cheek points and back, together with a set of colour stills and a large colour cardboard shop display of Darth Vader. Estimate BPS 900-1,000.

Eh, I'd take these display pieces with a GIANT grain of salt. Years ago, when Planet Hollywood at Downtown Disney was still relatively "new," they had a number of "star wars props" on display similar to this, but I remember being just a DH-17 rebel blaster and a Medal of Yavin "replica." I will tell you, having owned/sold 2nd gen screen-cast MoY years ago, that the one on display was disgustingly inaccurate, much like the on seen in this thread https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=184729

Additionally, I could be wrong, but that Vader face-mask looks like a re-painted Rubies Supreme vader. I don't recall screen used vader helmets ever using velcro, and that piece of velcro is placed in the same location as the Rubies. Plus, the rest of the physical features just scream Rubies to me.

The film version(ESB and ROTJ and ANH[promo/touring]) indeed used Velcro and I'm 100 percent positive.

The paint scheme on the Vader face mask is all wrong for it to be used on screen or to be original if any at all. I would like to know where it came from.....

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back