Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

Re: Ghostbusters 3

I'm tired of the remake/reboot thing too, but it's guaranteed butts in seats $$.

The Gender thing wouldn't even be an issue if Hollywood made more movies with female leads that weren't Rom Coms. This one just stands out as a "gimmick" because it's the first of something that should be a normal thing in this day and age.

As for Mr. Google statistics, did you ever stop to wonder if hollywood gave more scientific lead roles to women, might there be more of them in respective fields?

IAs for Mr. Google statistics, did you ever stop to wonder if hollywood gave more scientific lead roles to women, might there be more of them in respective fields?

Did you really just suggest that women don't go into scientific fields is because they didn't see it in the movies?

By that same rationale, should I conclude that you believe that violence in movies makes the audience more violent?

I think it was meant to convey that if more Hollywood films (or I would say art in general) portrayed women in scientific roles it could have an positive effect on some of the young girls and in turn women.

People watching violence in fiction may not necessarily resort to violence in real life. But that doesn't mean certain depiction of positive roles can't inspire people in real life. Similarly lot of scientists, engineers and astronauts have been inspired and influenced by science fiction and by the technology that was depicted in them, which led them to choose their area of expertise.

Last edited:

I must admit though, that in complaining about this I do feel just a tinge hypocritical, because I absolutely loved the Galactica reboot. It's one of my top-five shows of all time and so much better than the original. Moore and his crew went through these same fan-related issues. Oh, the outcry when Starbuck was turned into a woman! Ultimately though,as beloved as the series was for me as a kid (I got to hear the theme played live last year and it nearly brought me to tears), it just hasn't aged well at all. The social and moral themes it presented are just so entrenched in the time in which the original was made and the entire show has an air of naive ignorance about it. I tried watching it as an adult and just felt embarrassed at times at the cheese that poured out of my television set.

Ironically, I geel the new Battlestar is a great example of the sort of thing we're talking about. It really has nothing in common with the original but the names. I would have been far happier with it if it was just a prime-time soap opera in space, with an original title and originally-named characters. The old series, for all its many faults, I still love for the throughline that manages to be there despite ABC's interference. Glen Larson conceived it as th eBook of Mormon in space, all th eway down to transposing a couple letters and turning Kolob into Kobol. He wanted it to be a self-contained maxi-series (twelve to twenty-four episodes, in an arc with a beginning, middle, and end). ABC wanted an ongoing episodic series that followed the status-quo maintaining formula of the time. The fact that any arc-y stuff made it in is a triumph of Glen's stubbornness.

When I watch it, I tend to stick to the arc episodes, and maybe a few of the more fluff ones, and it's a darn good story -- overly-recycled VFX shots notwithstanding. I liked the visual style (even if I think the computers and displays need to be updated a bit), the uniforms and other costumes, the backstory (as nebulous as it was). I love the notion that the battlestars took many years to even build, and had been in service for generations, that each of the Colonies had at least one, and they tended to have tweaks and features that reflected the characters of their Colonies of origin. I felt an echo of the Colonies and the kind of system they had to be in when I saw how the Verse was set up in Firefly. BSG was a series that screamed for continuation, not a reboot.

--Jonah

Did you really just suggest that women don't go into scientific fields is because they didn't see it in the movies?

By that same rationale, should I conclude that you believe that violence in movies makes the audience more violent?

It's not exactly connected the way violence is. There have been some studies discussed recently about how there's a background influence on women not getting into STEM fields partially because men are the ones (A) most commonly depicted in the fields, and (B) most commonly lauded/talked about.

I think a more apt analogy would be that the same way women don't see themselves depicted in popular culture in STEM fields may influence women not getting into STEM fields in real life, men don't feel comfortable displaying "female" emotional traits (e.g. crying at a wider range of things they find sad, being affectionate, etc.) because they don't see other men doing that in pop culture.

In other words, pop culture both arises from general cultural attitudes, and reinforces them by providing archetypes to which the sexes aspire and from which they draw cues as far as how to behave. Obviously, none of this is destiny, but it can create a kind of mental dissonance if, for example, a woman has the impulse to go into STEM but feels like she's likely to meet a lot of resistance because "that's not what girls do," or a man is emotional and passionate in a more full range than what's commonly depicted, and feels like he's not "being a man" the way Hollywood shows men to be.

Anyway, on the subject of Total Recall or Robocop, both films, I would argue, had interesting ideas hiding inside them. But neither film was courageous enough or inventive enough to take those ideas and move them away from their labels far enough to stand on their own.

Consider, for a second, that Robocop (1987) shares a LOT of similarity with, for example, 8Man. And yet, Robocop, with its social satire, strikingly different visual design, and over-the-top violence, not to mention its cracking action, was able to stand on its own without having to be "American 8Man." Granted, the value of the 8Man brand here in the states is probably nil, but even as a somewhat derivative story, the story is still capable of standing on its own. The new Robocop had some really interesting things to say in terms of social satire, with respect to drone usage, media influence, and corporate culture, and it did some really terrific stuff with the depiction of the main character's loss of humanity when it showcased him taken apart and really being little more than a face, some organs, and a hand. Likewise, it had some really interesting things to say about personal choice, and the impact of emotions. All solid sci-fi fare, but I think it actually hampered itself by tying itself too closely to, well, Robocop. Once they're "Robocop" instead of just picking any horribly injured/killed-and-resurrected character, they were almost "required" to follow certain plot points, and yet, they also had to distinguish themselves.

Really, I think reboots/remakes are a devil's bargain. You have to strike a balance between updating the material and keeping it fresh, while harkening back to the old material enough that it still resonates. At one end of the spectrum, you have a lazy shot-for-shot remake like Psycho; at the other, you have any number of films that basically have only the thinnest veneer of the original IP shoehorned in, and the rest otherwise disregarded.

To be honest, when remakes/reboots work, I think they work in spite of their connection to the previous material, not because of it. Look at, for example, the first POTC film. That's clearly a "branded" property, and arguably ushered in the era of "Let's just grab anything" branded-property films. But why did it work? Was it because of the brand? Hell no. The brand provided the thinnest sliver of context/familiarity for audiences. But they liked the movie because it was an entertaining movie. Then, of course, Hollywood -- lazy as it is -- figured that it had a formula and you could just slap some loose IP on to any old turd and call it gold. Didn't work so well for, say, Battleship, which you would think would suggest that this marketing strategy actually isn't as foolproof as Hollywood seems to think it is. And yet, they keep returning to it. Again, and again, and again. Then they wonder why ticket sales are down.

Do you know why Marvel's films have been kicking ass? Why other successful superhero films have been doing well? It's surely not just because they'er comic book films. In the last 15 years, there've been plenty of crappy comic book movies to prove that "comic book film" != boffo box office. These films have succeeded because the underlying stories are good, and they're told well.

I said, because the underlying stories are good, and they're told well.

Kinda makes you think that a well-told story would, you know, actually succeed at the box office regardless of its brand connection, don't it?

Many of you might have already seen this few years ago, but for those who haven't here is a smart little girl who isn't falling for the usual target marketing.

And to think, some guys assume girls aren't "really" into superheroes or comics.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it's important to recognize the wider context. Because when we start talking about how inherently male certain professions are, you've already kinda missed the point. As far as a feminist viewpoint would be concerned, there is no reason why any profession should be considered more appropriate for one gender over another. You really believe that not a single woman could work on a car or carry a heavy load on their back?

I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but here is my piece for anyone who cares.

We've seen this happen a year ago. Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles. We've waited 20 years for technology to catch up to the point where we could have a GOOD live action ninja turtles movie done by a guy who loves the franchise, appreciates the source material, starts with that, and THEN moves on in their own direction. Instead, we got it handed off to the cash grab director of the century, Michael Bay. who admitted he doesn't care, hired people who didn't care, and brought back a lady who can't act as the lead that told fans to F off because they hated Bays movies.

this is modern hollywood.

It's all happening again with Paul Feig.

But, lets go back to the beginning.

1984. John Belushi dies and Dan Aykroyd is in a quandry. he needs someone to be the third ghostbuster. he chooses, for whatever reason, bill murray. Murray doesn't care at all. His main job at that point is to find a way to get his baby, razors edge made. So, he strikes a deal. studio releases razors edge. he stars in ghostbusters.

Razors edge comes and goes, no one cares. Ghostbusters makes a million hits, all anyone wants to talk about. boom, instant pissed off bill murray. he's had it in for ghostbusters ever since.

they barely got him to do a 2nd movie. My guess is the falling out over groundhogs day was Harold constantly bringing up ghostbusters 3 ideas, enough to **** off bill and the two never spoke again...

fast forward to Ghostbusters, the video game. somehow they got everyone back together...that IS the third movie.

Bill starts to wane a little. feels he owes harold and dan one. yet, for whatever reason, he doesn't like any of the scripts sent over.....movie still in limbo.

fast forward to last year. SOMEHOW, Paul Feig gets involved. THe head of sony pictures Amy, seems dead set on doing another ghostbusters movie. first she thinks about suing bill murray for stalling for so long... and when that plan fails, she gets a genius idea. "LETS DO A REBOOT!" and, in typical untalented executive fashion, she says, 'even better, lets do ALL NEW CHARACTERS, andget this, this time they are women! We'll bring in a whole new audience that didn't care about ghostbusters the first time!"

So, basically, she brings in someone she can control, Paul Feig. totally going over Dan Aykroyds head likehe isn't there. Paul Feig brings in a woman writer, because, you know, only women can write for '4 funny women'.... and that is where it stays.

then the sony leaks come out. everyone's fears of this movie grows as we hear Paul Feigs pitch for a plot. Taken directly from Night at the Museum. (TMNT Spiderman plot similarity here). some head crook dies as he's STRUCK BY LIGHTNING during his EXECUTION!. I guess the execution wasn't enough. he then commands an army of histories greatest threats. Fans start to get worried.

Now, to 2015. Sony is STILL planning to go through with it. we now learn that Feig wants to 'make it REALLY SCARY AND NOT A JOKE'. he also wants to 'MAKE THE EQUIPMENT MORE HI TECH!' Has anyone invented a portable nuclear accelerator yet? you also have a cast of largely unknowns...and the one known (for those of us who stopped watching SNL in the 90s) is one people seem to hate for her show of one note fat jokes.

Now, you have ANOTHER divided fan base. Fans of the original who are swearing up and down (literally) at sony and anyone else who supports this new idea...and fans who are happy to have ANYTHING ghostbusters and getting insulted that no one is seeing their viewpoint. You also have fans who arn't as involved and just love the '4 funny women' idea.

And finally, if rumors are true, they signed bill murray to be the peck like villain. Ladies and gentleman, if that is not the biggest screw you to the fans of the ghostbusters franchise and dan aykroyd himself, I don't know what is.

Can you tell I am totally against this idea?

Last edited:

We've seen this happen a year ago. Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles. We've waited 20 years for technology to catch up to the point where we could have a GOOD live action ninja turtles movie done by a guy who loves the franchise, appreciates the source material, starts with that, and THEN moves on in their own direction. Instead, we got it handed off to the cash grab director of the century, Michael Bay. who admitted he doesn't care, hired people who didn't care, and brought back a lady who can't act as the lead that told fans to F off because they hated Bays movies.

It's all happening again with Paul Feig.

No it's not because Michael Bay didn't direct TMNT and Peter Feig actually respects the talent he's working with.

I've got to be honest. Is this an act? Are you pretending to be one of those morbid fans who say ridiculous things no matter how inappropriate they are? Please. You cannot possibly believe that Peter Feig and Michael Bay are on any kind of similar level outside of both being film directors. Bay can't even talk about a television set without a teleprompter.

Paul Feig brings in a woman writer, because, you know, only women can write for '4 funny women'....

Hahaha! That was funny because no one who had any ounce of decency would say something as stupid or as sexist as that. You're hitting the the ball out of the park with this one.

No it's not because Michael Bay didn't direct TMNT and Peter Feig actually respects the talent he's working with.

I've got to be honest. Is this an act? Are you pretending to be one of those morbid fans who say ridiculous things no matter how inappropriate they are? Please. You cannot possibly believe that Peter Feig and Michael Bay are on any kind of similar level outside of both being film directors. Bay can't even talk about a television set without a teleprompter.

Hahaha! That was funny because no one who had any ounce of decency would say something as stupid or as sexist as that. You're hitting the the ball out of the park with this one.

Morbid, yes. Because I have no faith in hollywood producing anything good anymore in franchises I care about. I instantly suspect bad with very little to go on.

I should have explained that better, but in my rant, got lost....That quote above was actually a call back joke to another article on another board. someone posted an interview with a male head writer who basically flat out stated 'I can't write for strong women characters and basically focus on the men of the show because they are easier to write for me'. However, every show he's done has had strong female characters. Go figure. I guess it didn't mean anything without the proper context, but it popped into my head when I was ranting. that one was my fault.

And regarding TMNT. Bay was in charge from the start. evident from the moment that leaked script hit the net.

I made the comparison because I see the same thing happening here. Both movies where announced, fans bitched instantly. more and more came out that loyal fans hated, and the more open minded fans where willing to give it a shot. Fan base gets further divided. to me, I just see disaster written all over this.

but, that's just my opinion and my take of the sequence of events. I am not one of those optimistic people who thinks "oh goody! they are totally changing everything we loved and doing a fresh start with the only thing staying the same is the title!" yaay!

and also, I am so tired of seeing people having to declare 'I'm not sexist'....any time they have a negative opinion of this thing. I LOVED Kyle Griffin. I'd LOVE to see a live action Agent Ortiz from IDW. I DO NOT want to see THIS.....take of it what you will.

Last edited:

Those of you who are sticking up for this reboot/remake: did you read the hacked Sony emails about this project? He's turning the Ghostbusters into "Men in Black." They are now a secret government agency that the government doesn't acknowledge the existence. Which is weird considering he posted a teaser image of the release date with the "who ya gonna call?" tagline, how is anybody gonna know the damn phone number to an agency that doesn't exist? LOL

sooooooo this is why they were having sexy dreams of ghosts pulling down there pants and gobbling turkey......because they were to strung out after dealing with the secret men in black "bat phone" ringing 24-7... so was the cottage saved from the 15th mortgage???????????????? how exactly do you tell everyone in new york they DIDNT see a ghost that's destroyed half of manhatten........ unless they have a neuralizer?? OHHH GODDD NOOOOO!!!! :facepalm

I think it's important to recognize the wider context. Because when we start talking about how inherently male certain professions are, you've already kinda missed the point. As far as a feminist viewpoint would be concerned, there is no reason why any profession should be considered more appropriate for one gender over another. You really believe that not a single woman could work on a car or carry a heavy load on their back?

I believe millions of women around the world could fix a car & carry a load much better than I do.

But I don't believe that a random selection of 4 people from those two professions is likely to produce 4 women.

Look, the female cast has never been my biggest beef against this movie. It might work fine. But based on what we know right now I don't like the way the whole movie is shaping up in general. I'm picking on this factor because it's the biggest thing the remakers are telling us about it.

Stunt casting and properties.... 2 things Hollywood loves.
It's a gimmick. It all just reeks of publicity stunt.
I'm sure there's a marketing team at Sony high-fiving his underlings, bragging about how much "buzz" this new ghostbusters is getting...

having read the leaked plot outline (that Sony asked to be pulled from several sites)... it just sounds.... stupid.
It's a lot of things, but it isn't Ghostbusters.

I look forward to the Voyager film, with the reimagined captain Charles Janeway.

pretty much this. adding to gender changing.... I also HATE the fact that hollywood has gotten into a new trend of gender and race changing characters either just because they can, or because the movies have been rebooted so many times now they feel the need to do something different. Man of Steel had two boo boos in it... Perry White is not black with an earing and 'Jenny' Olsen does not exist. if you're going to totally change a character, just make a new one! I would have been perfectly fine with a black head of the daily planet, so long as he wasn't named Perry White. Maybe he was a predecessor we never knew about? it would have been so much easier to add in Chloe from smallville rather than totally ravage jimmy olsen. The new supergirl series lost me instantly.... now jimmy olsen is a black guy. that TOTALLY changes the character of a white nerd no one really cares to be around. I bet he's going to be cool and suave like Jaleel White's alternate Steve Urkel personality, stephan. ugh. If you can't do justice to the characters as they are and have been,step away from the property. I guess being a white male in today's society means nothing to an established character anymore.

With ghostbusters, it's only been 25 or so, but still.... we still have three out of the four guys alive. other than the fact that too many people have final approval to agree on a script, this just screams of some un talented executive wanting to make their mark on a franchise.

Yeah black nerds are a myth like unicorns.

if you're going to totally change a character, just make a new one!
That is exactly what they are doing with Ghostbusters, they are not replacing the old characters they are new characters. But alas it's still a gimmick cause they are female.

So... And where is all the funny stuff now? Where are the pictures where McCarthy steps on a church? Where are the fitting quotes like "Who you gonna call? Someone else..." or "sometimes, **** happens, somebody's gotta deal with it" with a photo of the new cast... :lol

Yeah black nerds are a myth like unicorns.

That is exactly what they are doing with Ghostbusters, they are not replacing the old characters they are new characters. But alas it's still a gimmick cause they are female.

who says they don't? I did point out steve urkel. but I have a hunch they are going to re invent jimmy olsen for a more modern audience. I didn't even really care for the smallville version of jimmy olsen....who wasn't really jimmy olsen at all, but his unknown brother. jim. ugh.

the other thing that thas me a bit scratching my head is that they also seem to be bucking the usual reboot formula. usually reboots follow a simple pattern. keep the same characters, look and feel of what has come before, just change the plot line a little so it seems different. here, they are totally redoing everything from the ground up. from characters, to costumes, to vehicles, to equipment. might as well just create a whole new property. and call it spellbusters or something...

- - - Updated - - -

So... And where is all the funny stuff now? Where are the pictures where McCarthy steps on a church? Where are the fitting quotes like "Who you gonna call? Someone else..." or "sometimes, **** happens, somebody's gotta deal with it" with a photo of the new cast... :lol

look at a website called proton charging for all of that :).

Last edited:

I'm holding out for the all transgendered Ghostbusters.

Perfectly fine by me as long as they keep continuity with the original films!

Hollywood needs a reboot. Start getting people who want to take risks and make something new again.
Marvel did that last year and it went pretty well!

I'm tired of the remake/reboot thing too, but it's guaranteed butts in seats $$.

So do talking racoons with guns that have treeman sidekicks!

Ironically, I geel the new Battlestar is a great example of the sort of thing we're talking about. It really has nothing in common with the original but the names... BSG was a series that screamed for continuation, not a reboot.
--Jonah

While I think that a BSG continuation would have been interesting (and I'd have watched it, glued to the screen), there is no way you could make a logical business case for producing it. You'd have a HUGE hurdle in getting new fans invested, not just those of us that fondly remember the old version and in the end... you would have a lot of the old fans disappointed anyway that it wasn't being handled "properly". I know the opinion is controversial to some, but even though I grew up with original BSG (I even loved 1980 as a kid) and Direk Benedict, Richard hatch and co will always be my beloved childhood heroes, I believe Moore's version is superior in every area I can think of and to me it's still pure BSG through and through, but made a way that works today. Well OK... I just thought of one exception: the theme! Original BSG is on par with Star Wars and LOTR as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding the examples of Total recall and Robocop that were mentioned: It's been a while since I saw TR but the original Robocop still kinda works, even though it's a bit heavy on the 80's action sometimes. I felt that the new TR ("We can Remember it for You Wholesale" as the story was called) was "super models in action scenes" completely devoid of any depth. They made both Biel AND Beckinsale into stilted and cold mannequin characters. The first Ghostbusters still holds up i.m.o.. Aside from a bit of 80's production design, there's not that much in it thematically that can't be accepted by a modern audience. It's pretty evident when you take into account how popular it is and even younger genre fans go nuts when you walk by them wearing a Proton Pack.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back