New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo

Whatever happens with Johnson has got nothing to do with where you see negative feedback and who makes it, about TLJ in the slightest.

Those were two thoughts, not mutually exclusive. You say TLJ was a failure and all The hate it gets proves it. I say it’s performing good enough for Disney in my opinion, but I don’t know all the facts. If it performs as expected, Rian keeps his job. If it doesn’t, they’ll fire him and cancel his trilogy (which is what I thought you were saying at the top of this post.) so yes, seeing what happens to him will settle the debate over TLJ’s performance.

That sounds like a highly accurate guess if this update quote is anything to go by: https://makingstarwars.net/2018/02/game-thrones-creators-write-produce-new-set-star-wars-films/

Certain period of time ???!!!!!

They could have said “we’d like to go 100 years after Force Awakens for a clean slate.” Or they could have said “We’d like to do three movies between ROTJ and TFA.”
“A certain time” doesn’t have to mean the past, or an established era. Just that they have something in mind in the context of everything else.

Those were two thoughts, not mutually exclusive. You say TLJ was a failure and all The hate it gets proves it. I say it’s performing good enough for Disney in my opinion, but I don’t know all the facts. If it performs as expected, Rian keeps his job. If it doesn’t, they’ll fire him and cancel his trilogy (which is what I thought you were saying at the top of this post.) so yes, seeing what happens to him will settle the debate over TLJ’s performance.

There is zero chance they are letting Rian go. They were thrilled with how smooth his production went, he delivered the biggest film of the year globally, he pitched an idea they loved and retained him prior to the release of TLJ, and they want to be aggressive creating new content to support various platforms. Not a single financial analyst or anyone at Disney expected TLJ to do TFA box office. Don’t feed the trolls Seth.

Last edited:
There is zero chance they are letting Rian go. They were thrilled with how smooth his production went, he delivered the biggest film of the year globally, he pitched an idea they loved and retained him prior to the release of TLJ, and they want to be aggressive creating new content to support various platforms. Not a single financial analyst or anyone at Disney expected TLJ to do TFA box office. Don’t feed the trolls Seth.

Yes the film was a financial success,....BUT....there are serious flaws.....& the good credibility that JJ instilled with TFA has been tainted by TLJ....Time will tell

But luke wasnt what i wanted him to be... #notmyluke #childhoodruined #beingsarcasticsinceRPFwontletmEtypeincaps

It's not like that at all there are folks here who have a benchmark of quality

The new deal with the GOT guys has settled me,....now, if the RJ Trilogy continues with his poor decisions & weak storytelling & can focus on other films,....I was worried for the franchise for a bit

J

This statement from you..."the box office has made it clear that the outrage for TLJ comes from hardcore fandom" was the whole point of our discussion,

Yes the film was a financial success,....BUT....there are serious flaws.....& the good credibility that JJ instilled with TFA has been tainted by TLJ....Time will tell

It's not like that at all there are folks here who have a benchmark of quality

The new deal with the GOT guys has settled me,....now, if the RJ Trilogy continues with his poor decisions & weak storytelling & can focus on other films,....I was worried for the franchise for a bit

J

Benchmarks not based on datametrics (SWIQ doesn’t count) are wishes. I’m not saying people have to like TLJ, I myself have serious issues with it. But not being what you want isn’t an automatic universal bad movie. For you it could be, but maybe not for others. There’s an underlying narrative from a contingent of angry fans who think their opinions are universally shared.

You can’t measure opinions as a quantitative unit. The only data metric that is quantifiable, and that studios care about, is money. I work at in Hollywood, and I hate this, but it is true. If the box office for TLJ does what they expected, they will not give one diddly poop about fan opinion. If it does not perform, they’ll go right to the source to see what went wrong, but as of now, the available data says TLJ was a success.

Last edited:
This statement from you..."the box office has made it clear that the outrage for TLJ comes from hardcore fandom" was the whole point of our discussion,

Yes. I know.

And even though I conceded to you the drop off was bad, and that we don't have all the data so I could be wrong-- right now, looking at the box office data, everything is fine.

Outside of this post, you don't seem to be interested in actually tracking what I am saying. I actually agreed with you in several places. You seem to be more interested in just picking out one or two lines of what I say and spinning off on it and trying to discredit it by not listening to anything else I've said. This is also the third thread where you decide to quote me and start a debate you aren't actually interested in having.

I love arguing. I love debate. But over these three threads, you literally only have one message. You didn't like TLJ, you think Rian Johnson is a terrible director. That's literally the only thing you seem capable of talking about. Several dozen posts all to one singular point. And I totally respect that. I had a lot of problems with TLJ-- but I have serious misgivings to think angry fan voices (myself included) make a difference to Lucasfilm or Disney. We get on these boards and talk ourselves crazy and it feels like a big deal-- but in the real world, not so much. Literally millions of people go to movies and don't post on message boards.

Now because I do love a fun debate, and admittedly always have to be right, I can't seem to resist the bait you continue to throw out. But I get into debates with the hope of learning something. Sometimes it's good to see other opinions and learn a different perspective.

I am not getting that from you as you only have one singular point you pathologically cannot stop posting about it. Since I can't resist a good argument, it's time for me to let the system do it for me and hit the ignore button, because you are obviously just a troll that is dying for his angry voice to be heard.

So have fun with that!

Dude, I, as much as anyone, am totally with you. But we have to concede that TLJ is a "success". Transformers is a "success". Fast & Furious movies are a "success". Hell, Trump was elected. sh1t sells. What can you do?

Just hold your Star Wars close, man. We're not going to convince anyone, and anyway, it's art; in a different era, with different life contexts, we might like TLJ too. :-\

Dude, I, as much as anyone, am totally with you. But we have to concede that TLJ is a "success". Transformers is a "success". Fast & Furious movies are a "success". Hell, Trump was elected. sh1t sells. What can you do?

Just hold your Star Wars close, man. We're not going to convince anyone, and anyway, it's art; in a different era, with different life contexts, we might like TLJ too. :-\

I never had a problem with TLJ being called a success, I only took issue with the statement that its success proves that only criticism of it comes from "hardcore" fans, which I`m sure you will agree is a totally invalid statement. Everything I commented on was centered around that only.

Benchmarks not based on datametrics (SWIQ doesn’t count) are wishes. I’m not saying people have to like TLJ, I myself have serious issues with it. But not being what you want isn’t an automatic universal bad movie. For you it could be, but maybe not for others. There’s an underlying narrative from a contingent of angry fans who think their opinions are universally shared.

You can’t measure opinions as a quantitative unit. The only data metric that is quantifiable, and that studios care about, is money. I work at in Hollywood, and I hate this, but it is true. If the box office for TLJ does what they expected, they will not give one diddly poop about fan opinion. If it does not perform, they’ll go right to the source to see what went wrong, but as of now, the available data says TLJ was a success.

Yes you are entirely right, & I'm glad you acknowledge there are serious flaws in the film.....but there should not be,....LFL & Disney want everyone to enjoy Star Wars & I do feel that the great job that LFL, Disney & JJ did with TFA was responsible for TLJ's box office success, i'm sure they are now worried for the home video sales for the film & the effect it will have on Episode 9

J

I'm glad they are pumping dough into this new stuff.
Like I said before I can enjoy it immensely when I love it (Rogue One) and just laugh at the stuff I don't love (most of the rest).

I'll take those odds with my Star Wars disease
Bring it.

I said at the start of this thread that its a very positive move to get these two guys involved as they know what they are doing. I`m actually looking forward to hearing how they progress with it.

Yes you are entirely right, & I'm glad you acknowledge there are serious flaws in the film.....but there should not be,....LFL & Disney want everyone to enjoy Star Wars & I do feel that the great job that LFL, Disney & JJ did with TFA was responsible for TLJ's box office success, i'm sure they are now worried for the home video sales for the film & the effect it will have on Episode 9

J

Ultimately, this is exactly what bothers me the most. I think Kennedy overall is doing what she needs to do, my only real criticism is that they didn't plan an overall arc to the ST. Abrams and his mystery box love unanswered questions. Rian was kind of screwed cause he had to deal with these, but also do his own thing. I don't think they needed to write all the movies before shooting, but having a rough structure like Lucas had would have helped.

I loved TFA at the time, but funny enough, I almost blame JJ for some of the problems with TLJ more than Rian.

Ultimately, this is exactly what bothers me the most. I think Kennedy overall is doing what she needs to do, my only real criticism is that they didn't plan an overall arc to the ST. Abrams and his mystery box love unanswered questions. Rian was kind of screwed cause he had to deal with these, but also do his own thing. I don't think they needed to write all the movies before shooting, but having a rough structure like Lucas had would have helped.

I loved TFA at the time, but funny enough, I almost blame JJ for some of the problems with TLJ more than Rian.

I know we are entirely off topic but I keep reminding everyone that Rian finished his script almost a full 18 months before TFA was released. JJ knew exactly what Rian had planned and according to Greg Grunberg loved Rian’s take on what TFA was setting up. This idea that Rian wrote a story designed to undo all of JJ’s efforts and that was unwelcome simply isn’t reality. The only thing neither man knew was how either film was going to be received by fans and what questions they would have.

I know we are entirely off topic but I keep reminding everyone that Rian finished his script almost a full 18 months before TFA was released. JJ knew exactly what Rian had planned and according to Greg Grunberg loved Rian’s take on what TFA was setting up. This idea that Rian wrote a story designed to undo all of JJ’s efforts and that was unwelcome simply isn’t reality. The only thing neither man knew was how either film was going to be received by fans and what questions they would have.

Oh, I know they were in contact and fully aware of what the other was doing-- but they still both wanted to tell very different stories, and Rian was still using characters that were set up by JJ. TFA was also shifting during production. I also don't think there was an over arching plan so much as a round robin style hand-off. That is what I'm pointing my finger at. I feel like as a group they should have gotten together and played it like a TV writer's room. Lay out and break down the 3-film story as a team, then divid and conquer the individual parts.

Also, while narrative tracks, it's actually tone that I think is off the most. It's kind of like watching Kubrick's 2001, and then the 80s sequel 2010. You're watching a direct narrative continuation, but stylistically, tonally, and symbolically they are very different creatures.

Again, my problems with TLJ are more structural than narrative, so maybe pre-planning wouldn't have helped after all-- but I also don't think it would have hurt.

Me also,....now I can't watch it....TLJ has ruined my investment in the ST

The urgency to get get the new Star Wars films released without a masterplan is the crux of the problem

J

Henry Fords contribution to industry should never be applied to film making.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back