Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I totally get that kids are loving the new films, they are kids at the end of the day and they are aiming at a new audience but you have to balance that with the folks who have come before. I guess that`s easier said than done but those people are generally paying for the kids tickets in the first place.

It's a risky proposition. Instead of doing what so many accuse Disney of doing, micromanaging the franchise to death, the exact opposite is true. LucasFilm has a tremendous amount of autonomy and they have chosen this route. Bring in different directors, let them tell the story they want. For a trilogy it's tricky but for decades of films yet to be released it makes a lot of sense. No one creative person can dictate what Dtar Wars IS. It's actually very refreshing and bold.

Subjective...

Subjective...

But as of yet, objective. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I totally get that kids are loving the new films, they are kids at the end of the day and they are aiming at a new audience but you have to balance that with the folks who have come before. I guess that`s easier said than done but those people are generally paying for the kids tickets in the first place.

Even if I hated these new films I would still take my son.

If the only "hardcore" fans were people posting here, yes. But I took 6 kids aged 2-14 to TLJ and they loved it. There are your new "hardcore" fans. And I was born in 1968, I'll be there on opening day with my son until the day I die.

- - - Updated - - -

Subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

Subjective.
The thing is, your enjoyment of a film is subjective.

But the quality of a film is not as.

Just because you enjoyed it, doesn't mean it's good. And just because something is good, doesn't mean that you have to enjoy it.

To say that there are plot contrivances at almost every moment in the last Jedi is not subjective. There are. The subjective part is whether you, as a viewer can get past them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Noticed something today:
- This is the first Star Wars film I only went to see in the theater once. Little desire to see it twice there.
- My kids, raised and fed Star Wars, had no interest in going to see it again. This is a first!

Will likely buy on digital video when released. Just have lost my Star Wars enthusiasm after 40 years for now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

But as of yet, objective. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Even if I hated these new films I would still take my son.
You know what's funny? I didn't want my dad to see this. One of the greatest gifts he gave me was taking me to the double feature of ANH and ESB at age 6.

But I didn't want him to see where it had gone. How far it had slide into some weird nihilist ideal

Totally. As such substandard as TPM was, it still made a boatload of money and I saw it in the theatre three times. I bought it on vhs and Blu-ray.
I will wait for episode 9 to be on netflix

I went in the theaters for TPM, ATOC and ROTS with the mindset that it was a story about how the emperor gained his power and how the empire got started, not in the mindset of Anakin becoming Vader..If you rewatch those films with the emperor side mindset then it makes them a whole lot better. After all The Phantom Menace title to episode one was referring to the emperor...so I took it as this was a film about how the emperor gained his power.
I love the PT, love the OT and hate the NT​

Last edited by a moderator:
I went in the theaters for TMP, ATOC and ROTS with the mindset that it was a story about how the emperor gained his power and how the empire got started, not in the mindset of Anakin becoming Vader..If you rewatch those films with the emperor side mindset then it makes them a whole lot better. After all The Phantom Menace was referring to the emperor...so I took it as this was a film about how the emperor gained his power.
I love the PT, love the OT and hate the NT
Werd.

And the clone wars....that actually reignited my interest in star wars.

I did not go to the theaters for TFA, because I had a "sneak preview" of the movie.. and i'm glad I saved my money..

I went to TLJ, because I thought it would be an ESB...you know...better than the first...

If I would have had a "preview" of TLJ, I think I would have saved more money.

The kids (ages 8-16) that I took, thought the movie was "cool".. the same kids that thought Frozen and Beauty and the Beast was "cool".. they forgot about it 3 days later.

Bryan you said
Even if I hated these new films I would still take my son
Why?... because they "thought it was cool".. or for other reasons?.. just asking..

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why you turned it into a good parent bad parent thing

Because he's deeply insecure.

I've seen his type on other boards – militant about the quality of the thing they like, condescending and dismissive towards any criticism of it, always with the above-it-all attitude. It's because they can't stand that anybody might have legitimate reasons to feel differently from how they do.

And I loved TLJ after seeing it a second time. I took my dad and am trying g to get my girlfriend to come with me to see it again. Right now it's second on my list of Star Wars movies, right after ESB.

I don't feel the need to go let on the internet and fight each and every person who dislikes it.

Theaters are soooo overrated any way and way too expensive... my HD video, surround audio and chair are much more comfortable.

I know I will enjoy TLJ..regardless how good or bad its is... in my own home

Theaters are soooo overrated any way and way too expensive... my HD video, surround audio and chair are much more comfortable.

I know I will enjoy TLJ..regardless how good or bad its is... in my own home

SOON YOU WILL EAT CROW LOL , JK
I would suggest save your 10.00 and wait til its released and rent it from red box. at least you will throw away 1.99 and not 10.00 from ticket or 24.99 from blu ray.

20171216_222010.jpeg
SOON YOU WILL EAT CROW LOL , JK
I would suggest save your 10.00 and wait til its released and rent it from red box. at least you will throw away 1.99 and not 10.00 from ticket or 24.99 from blu ray.

I have already spent the $100.00+ to watch it in a Grand 14 theater....lol....at least I got all the butter I wanted in my Chewbacca Head

I certainly think it's fair to say that TLJ has received more criticism than TFA or R1.

But I also honestly believe that in say, a year or three, TLJ won't be nearly as controversial. But even if that never happens for a segment of OT fans, from a business perspective, Disney just needs to get enough new fans to cover for attrition. And the pool of potential new SW fans from age 8-18 (for example) is just bigger than the core group of OT fans, especially now that movies are much more global. Likewise, in Disney's grand Star Wars scheme, losing a few thousand $20 movie tickets can be made up with a handful of $150 theme park tickets for galaxy's edge, or a few several-thousand-dollar-vaction-packages at the forthcoming Star Wars hotel.

From a strictly business perspective, Disney can afford to lose a few OT fans, as long as the brand is growing.

I'd argue because GL was trying to build a world and tell a story, the current Directors of R1, TFA and TLJ are SW fanboys who grew up and are now making a studio backed fanfilms. They're not interested in really telling a thought out story, they want to re-create all the action and cool **** they use to dream up when they were playing with their SW toys and running around outside playing make believe. It's why you have giant plot holes, revisionism and poor narratives. They need just enough story, flimsy as it is to get form one action scene to the next.

I can see that with Gareth Edwards, maybe. But he did a great job. JJ did a fantastic job, too, taking in account the huge pressure that sat on him. Rian Johnson on the other hand set out to take the toys and destroy them. Or rebuild them, if you think Lego. Over the past three weeks I came to the conclusion that this is nothing bad and it was actually time to change something. Change is actually good.

The plot holes and poor narratives that I only see in one of those three movies IMO have nothing to do with the directors being "fanboys" but with a lack in skillset.

Was it ever revealed why Kylo Ren wanted to rule as Supreme Leader? At least with Anakin, we learned he feared what he couldn't control. He feared the unknown and used the Darkside and his authority to control as much as he could. It's a form of PTSD, beginning with losing his mother and then losing Padme and his children.

The only thing I could gather about Kylo was he felt betrayed by his uncle and was pissed off. Basically a continual temper tantrum.

Was it ever revealed why Kylo Ren wanted to rule as Supreme Leader? At least with Anakin, we learned he feared what he couldn't control. He feared the unknown and used the Darkside and his authority to control as much as he could. It's a form of PTSD, beginning with losing his mother and then losing Padme and his children.

The only thing I could gather about Kylo was he felt betrayed by his uncle and was pissed off. Basically a continual temper tantrum.

Nah, I think he just saw that this girl, without lineage, training or anything to her name just can beat him whenever she wants to do so. So he killed Snoke, because he needs no master or teacher. He just can rule until he gets his ass kicked again by Rey.

For some fans, yes, for many more, no. My real world experience has been almost universally positive in conversations with friends, at work, etc.
I don't know man, the official Star Wars Facebook page posts an ad twice a day for that movie and the comments below are really divided, half of them complain how they didn't like the film, another half is complaining about people who complain (I guess they liked it) and there's a smaller minority who just says "great movie".

It's a risky proposition. Instead of doing what so many accuse Disney of doing, micromanaging the franchise to death, the exact opposite is true. LucasFilm has a tremendous amount of autonomy and they have chosen this route. Bring in different directors, let them tell the story they want. For a trilogy it's tricky but for decades of films yet to be released it makes a lot of sense. No one creative person can dictate what Dtar Wars IS. It's actually very refreshing and bold.

I think it's the opposite,....different directors with a different vision makes an incoherent story,.....nothing gels...

A clear vision is needed, not the old 'Making it up as we go'

Perhaps a break is needed,...to focus

J

This all sounds great on paper. Much like the plot outline for TLJ, the problem is the execution. Take Harry Potter series for example. The reason those books worked so well is because Rowling mapped most things out before even starting writing. Sure she made things up and changed bits around as she went but most of the things remained as it was dreamed up.
Come the movies: part 1 and 2 are Chris Columbus so they're warm child-friendly family movies. Part 3 got darker so they hired Alfonso Cuaron, who came up with a drastically different look and approach and left out really important exposition from probably the most plot-driven part. Part 4 is another director again which blends blockbuster style with some really dark bits and occasional childish humour, then another director for 5-6-7 and the result is that while each movie has their own feel they don't really blend into each other. I'm not talking about how well the story was adapted but the direction.
Take ESB then. Irvin Kershner didn't even want to make it initially, because he thought there's no point trying to top Star Wars. When he was convinced to do it by his agent he approached the story and the film trying to figure out what can be done and where it can grow. He said "I knew I wanted humour in it but I couldn't have gags. I knew I wanted a love story but I couldn't have smooching and a lot of kissing". So I'm all for unique ideas and visions but understand what you're dealing with first. One of the main reasons Alien Covenant didn't work is because Ridley seemingly forgot what made Alien great or doesn't understand it anymore.

Woe.....some guys love to type!!

Well, yes. But I do try to be concise. Not my fault I was away for a couple days and suddenly there were twenty-odd new pages to the thread to winnow through. :p

Is it ever stated anywhere how many billions the First Order killed when they blew up the Hosnian System?

(I think it's 5 planets: Cardota, Courtsilius, Hosnian, Hosnian Prime and Raysho?)

The Starkiller just took Hosnian Prime and its moons, not the whole system. But still probably at least the population of modern Earth.

3PO is in no way comparable to JarJar. You can erase JJ completely from the PT after he led the Jedi To Gunga city, noone would really notice. Purpose fulfilled, now he´s just baggage. 3PO? Companion to R2 and COMIC RELIEF. Not comedic appendix.

I dunno. Some of Threepio's commentary was pertinent, but a lot was also purely for Teh Funny™. "Help! I think I'm melting! Oh, this is all your fault..." Coulda been left out (it had already been deemed a bad fit for the boarding of the Tantive IV, for which it had been filmed) and something more relevant to the story re-added (like the rest of Red Leader's conversation with Luke in the hangar) if having the movie that many seconds longer was important. His role was to complain and get into trouble that Our Heroes had to bail him out of. Take a quick-and-dirty pass with your home editing program and see how much is lost by trimming each of Threepio's scenes out. Some, but not as much as you might think.

However, in the hands of a better writer, one who doesn't think burp and fart jokes or stepping in poop are the height of humor, Jar-Jar could have been more relevant while still being (less offensively) irritating -- like Threepio. For all that the droid's contribution to the OT is mostly fluff, it at least works organically with the story.

The exposition regarding the Empire was done subtly and quickly.
SD chase. Vader boarding, killing the Captain in cold blood. Capturing the princess. >>> Empire is EVIL and brutal
Search party on the planet. POLICE FORCE! on the planet. >>> The Empire is PRESENT and has somekind of governmental status.

Whereas the First Order (which I still find a kind of ridiculous name) is shown burning down a village, destroying Maz´ Temple Diner Club, destroying a complete Planetary System. Thugs. Punks. Street cred? Duh.

Well, yeah. That is, near as I can tell, the point of the First Order. As introduced in TFA, as elaborated upon in the Aftermath trilogy and Bloodline, as enhanced in TLJ... After the Empire was determined to be a lost cause, the most hardline of Imperial fanboys lit out for deep space to make their fanboyish homage to the Empire of their nostalgia. It's no accident that the main faces of the First Order we see are Hux and Kylo -- two rather young men who want to be liked and respected (and probably feared), but the only way they know how is to be bullies. So yeah, they're shouty toughs trying to get the galaxy to agree that their pop idol (Palpatine, the Empire) is better.

I'm wondering, what will the ones who dislike the movie say when Episode IX brings back JJ and JJ would give "answers" to the questions raised like, Kylo was lying, Rey is the daughter of Kenobi/Skywalker/Whoever/Whatever etc. just like the fans had expected to see in Ep VIII? Will they be pleased in the end and say, yes, that's what should have been in Ep VIII, or, I knew it all the time, or will they be like, naw, what a crap decision, they screwed it up with Ep VIII and now they are giving some stupid fan service by exactly saying what the fans wanted to hear? :)

You presume JJ will suddenly break form and actually open his cherished Mystery Box and actually give us answers.

Random observation: Rose what supposed to be kinda awkward/creepy in her first scene right? Because she really comes across as "OMG I LOVE YOU FINN and im gonna zap you if you dont love me back..."

I don't get "creepy". She unexpectedly met the Hero of the Resistance. She was startled and star-struck -- especially considering she was hurting from just losing her sister. After awkwardly making small talk with Finn, she realized he was about to jump ship. Which she was stationed there to prevent. So she stunned him. Had nothing to do with the Misery motive you apparently gleaned from that scene.

There's more, but it's into the arena of Film Theory and a lot of the making-of stuff, so... Later.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back