TFA Reys Star destroyer found part.

do you need any reference from the real one? Happy to send some pics and dimensions :)

I actually finished the 3D model a few minutes ago,but whatever photos or measurements you could provide would be greatly appreciated for double-checking the model before I get it printed. :)

Kind regards, The14thDr

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of the completed model for visual reference:
collet_finished.jpg

I actually finished the 3D model a few minutes ago,but whatever photos or measurements you could provide would be greatly appreciated for double-checking the model before I get it printed. :)

Kind regards, The14thDr

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of the completed model for visual reference:
View attachment 694110

Here you go interested in a copy of the file if your sharing ? :) might adapt it to use on a staff

20161230_123707.jpg20161230_123736.jpg20161230_123754.jpg20161230_123805.jpg20161230_123824.jpg20161230_123843.jpg20161230_123846.jpg20161230_123848.jpg

Thanks judgedredd, these are fantastic! Amazingly, it turns out I was only 1mm out with most of my measurements, so I'm counting this as a win.

I'll be uploading the files to Thingiverse very soon, and I'll share a link once I do.

Kind regards, The14thDr

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update on the collet 3D model.

Although I finished the model on Friday, something appears to have gone wrong and the last couple of steps didn't save, which means I have a little more work to do to complete the model.

I hope to have this finished and uploaded to Thingiverse tomorrow.

Kind regards, The14thDr

Hey, what would the best base coat colour be for this? Silver with a black dirt wash? Or black with a silver buff? Also anyone point me in the right direction for a decent tutorial on how to weather with thick grime, I know I heard something about sand but I'm unsure :) I've heard of weathering pigments/powder but is that mainly for small models? many thanks

Ps I have the resin kit :)

Last edited:
@Mechanized2400 Thanks :)
@Drac
first i gently sanded the surface, going round, so that I got a texture that looks kinda like made on a lathe. I gave it silver first and Citadel Chaos black on top. I then gently went over the surface with a cleaning sponge working my way down to reveal some of the silver. I also added a very light coat of transparent blue. and finishing with some dry brush silver and two different dirt layers, yellow brown and red brown.

@Mechanized2400 Thanks :)
@Drac
first i gently sanded the surface, going round, so that I got a texture that looks kinda like made on a lathe. I gave it silver first and Citadel Chaos black on top. I then gently went over the surface with a cleaning sponge working my way down to reveal some of the silver. I also added a very light coat of transparent blue. and finishing with some dry brush silver and two different dirt layers, yellow brown and red brown.

Excellent I shall give it a go I have those colours but not the blue, I'll post up when I get it done :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice build up, I wondered the method you used for the grime, I'm looking at something like this for another prop I'm doing and can't find a lot of reference on how to achieve it :) thanks P
To be honest, I totally cheated just mixed up an oily colour paint using acrylics, then while it was still wet, chucked fine sand over it - sort of did a few layers of that till i was happy and then a final coat of oily paint.
Years ago my wife took me to Tunisia and I brought home a pot of sand, so finally found a use for it, and thought that's pretty authentic. it is really fine though.
I THINK I added some 'smoke' acrylic ink too - just kept adding till I was satisfied.
I'm not really a modeller so I just took a stab.
I hope that helps.

To be honest, I totally cheated just mixed up an oily colour paint using acrylics, then while it was still wet, chucked fine sand over it - sort of did a few layers of that till i was happy and then a final coat of oily paint.
Years ago my wife took me to Tunisia and I brought home a pot of sand, so finally found a use for it, and thought that's pretty authentic. it is really fine though.
I THINK I added some 'smoke' acrylic ink too - just kept adding till I was satisfied.
I'm not really a modeller so I just took a stab.
I hope that helps.

Wow for a cheat it's given a really authentic look, I was toying with the idea of using sand as well and seeing your results I think I'll go for it :) for not being a modeller you've done a great job on it, many thanks for the info ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone still have the 3d files? Seems the link no longer works :( I have a resin collet but need the top clip part and the ring any suggestions?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back