Mad Max: Fury Road - Immortan Joe's Respirator

Wrapped up the paint last night. I might revisit after Halloween, and touch a few things up. Or just paint a fresh one, and keep this one as-is, for reference. Happy with the overall outcome, but still not quite satisfied with the teeth, and jaw. Definitely a learning experience painting those; finding the right colors is tough.

WP_20141022_009.jpgWP_20141022_006.jpgWP_20141022_005.jpgWP_20141022_007.jpg

Turned our really good, You could try a wash to weather it more, Like a Sepia or something. What kind of paint did you use?

I mostly used Citadel, acrylic paints, usually used for miniatures. The jaw and teeth are both based with a color called Rhinox Hide, which is a dark redish brown, leatherish color. I kind of lost track of layers of paint on the jawbone, trying different stuff. But the final colors were an off-white called Screaming Skull, and then topped with a wash called "Flesh Wash". It is brownish, but dried more yellow.

I did several different things with the teeth, but finally re-based with the Rhinox Hide, and then dry-brushed the same Screaming Skull color on top; no additional wash.

I do have some Sepia wash, that's a good idea, maybe I'll try putting some of that on. My painting inexperience is somewhat glaring. :)

Sepia wash definitely did the trick; great tip ower! Subtle difference, but I like it.

Before : After
comparison.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice job! I dig it.

When I use to paint miniatures a lot I'd make a "bone wash" out of 3 parts Beastial Brown and 1 part black mixed down to a milky consistency. Now I just use the gryphonne sephia they have. I'd use the stuff on more stuff if it wasn't so expensive for those pots.You could probably do another coat or two if you wanted it to get darker.

How's much other stuff do you have to track down for the costume?

nice job! I dig it.

When I use to paint miniatures a lot I'd make a "bone wash" out of 3 parts Beastial Brown and 1 part black mixed down to a milky consistency. Now I just use the gryphonne sephia they have. I'd use the stuff on more stuff if it wasn't so expensive for those pots.You could probably do another coat or two if you wanted it to get darker.

How's much other stuff do you have to track down for the costume?

Cool! I'll have to look into some of that.

For the overall costume, pretty much everything left to track down. :) I found a wig that looks a bit hokey, but will do for now. For the overall look, I'll have to fake it for this year, and add on later.

I went ahead and left it with the current level of weathering, but did a little more finishing. The red parts got a few coats of satin, and the teeth semi-gloss. It doesn't really pop in the pictures, but gives them just the amount of shine. I'll be printing the hose attachments later, but for now have some that just fit inside.

Made leather straps tonight, and got those attached, plus a little padding under the nose. It's pretty comfortable to wear, and stays in place nicely.

WP_20141024_016 1.jpg WP_20141024_005.jpg

Thanks framed! Yes, I'll likely start making some more after Halloween. I have a few other things to wrap up, and need a few days breather first. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting it all together, with my hokey wig. It worked out well for the Halloween party I hit last night, where I found an added benefit to the hole I put in the middle of the mask earlier . . . I was able to fit one of those little coffee stir straws through it, so could still sip my drink, while wearing the mask. haha!

One problem I did have-- people thought it was cool, but nobody knew who it was. Guess I'll have to keep adding to the ensemble, and wear it again next year.

6tag-711244852-838813577267369068_711244852.jpg

I am trying to figure out the bellows behind his head. Have you worked any on this?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431889650.061081.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be when I put my cosplay together - thinking some kind of orangeish fabric, and sewing panels into it, cut up a hula hoop and slide that through. When I get to it (won't be for a little bit yet, this will be a work in progress) but when I do will gladly update. :)

I have decided to carve a buck out of styrofoam and then cover it with fabric soaked in tinted fabric glue (almost like latex). Once dry, I will slit open the bottom, remove the styrofoam and repair the slit. Photos to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back