Studio Scale Cylon Raider in styrene

At least a few Raiders had the bottom mounted spot light. It's barely visible here.
Original Miniature - Raider Original Miniature 29 - ByYourCommand.net Gallery

It's most visible during the attack on Caprica.
01-02-03SagaOfAStarWorldmkv_snapshot_002620_20131221_030937_zps8bc68ab6.jpg

01-02-03SagaOfAStarWorldmkv_snapshot_002622_20131221_030953_zps27dbdd4a.jpg

It can be seen here but appears to be turned off.
01-02-03SagaOfAStarWorldmkv_snapshot_002023_20131221_030111_zps0c31215b.jpg

This Raider in Fire In Space doesn't have the lights.
14FireInSpacemkv_snapshot_0653_20131221_031614_zps0b3fcd38.jpg

As cool as concept sketches are - they do not contradict the scale of a built filming miniature ;) They are more like strong suggestions than anything else :D

Of course that's just my opinion :facepalm

Jedi Dade

- - - Updated - - -

Never noticed that little side light. Probably because every pic of it is blurred to all heck :D. bit there is definitely "something" there on the side of the bottom. I'm cool with it being a burnt our grain of wheat bulb ;)

Jedi Dade

I will be 'reproducing' the original CR Cockpit set(as I own the patterns). So this will be available as an 'add on' set for the Moebius kit for those wanting some little tin heads for their builds. Clear canopy also.

Attachments

• 10112432173_04c0e450d0_c.jpg
    10112432173_04c0e450d0_c.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
I will be 'reproducing' the original CR Cockpit set(as I own the patterns). So this will be available as an 'add on' set for the Moebius kit for those wanting some little tin heads for their builds. Clear canopy also.

Very cool!!

yeah,same here.i gotta a couple on order with hobbylink japan and they have a february release date.
so it can't be to far away:p

So, ummm, this happened.......

attachment.php

Guess I'll post some photos tomorrow........ :)

Gene

Attachments

• RaiderTestShot-0001.jpg
    RaiderTestShot-0001.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 1,344
Before I primed it, I figured I'd take some photos. When you put it on a light table, it kinda glows like an x-ray. This is an early test shot of the upcoming Moebius kit. I'm not sure how early, but there were some tooling marks visible - the kind of stuff that would eventually be polished away before production begins. Since it's a test shot, it's in a milky white, translucent styrene.

To end the debate as to how close to studio scale it will be - well, it's exactly to size with the Jim Key/Salzo kits. (What you are seeing here is my Jim Key build up.)

The detail is surprisingly crisp and sharp. Panel lines are also sharp. I can't comment on the build up, since it came assembled (save for a few parts like the guns). The center section of the body appears to be a sub-assembly consisting of upper and lower halves (that have the engines molded to the bottom half) to which you add the engine louvres, the upper fuselage, cockpit and canopy. The wing trenches and outer wings look to be two parts apiece. This is logical, as the originals broke down this way. And it allows you to get rid of the seam lines in there (and paint the parts in sub-assemblies). There are also appears to be a bunch of smaller detail parts that were molded separately in order to keep the sharp.

I can't comment on the accuracy as I haven't really poured over my references since I built my Jim Key about 10 years ago...... But I can say that I'm seeing everything I see on the resin version.

Let's get some primer on this thing so we can see it better. And then I'll tell you why I have this test shot........

Gene

Attachments

• IMG_8944.JPG
    IMG_8944.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_8945.JPG
    IMG_8945.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_8951.JPG
    IMG_8951.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_8950.JPG
    IMG_8950.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_8949.JPG
    IMG_8949.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_8948.JPG
    IMG_8948.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8947.JPG
    IMG_8947.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_8946.JPG
    IMG_8946.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_8955.JPG
    IMG_8955.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 366
  • IMG_8956.JPG
    IMG_8956.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 249
In the Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom mating shot (from the front), it looks like the Moebius is ever so slightly wider... Thanks for the pics, btw!

In the Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom mating shot (from the front), it looks like the Moebius is ever so slightly wider... Thanks for the pics, btw!

Well, how did you think little Cylons were made?

I can't be sure the Moebius is bigger. The wings on my resin kit are just pinned in placed and they may droop a bit. That would affect the overall width. If the Moebius is off, it's by less than 1/8".

Gene

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back