Best clay for filling voids?

DeLano80

Sr Member
I need to fill a baseball sized void in a project I'm working on. I have no hobby stores near me, just Ben Franklins. What would you use?

Fill most of it with a ball of foil then cover the opening with Plumbers Epoxy Putty.
It's a stick of 2 part epoxy putty that you just cut off a piece the size you need then knead it together until it becomes a solid color.
It can be smoothed with water before it cures.

Different stores will carry different brands and some will carry different cure times.
These can be found at most hardware stores.

plumbers-epoxy-big-shoota-glues-adhesives.jpg038753312705.jpg

Fill most of the void up with aluminum foil or something else. That way you won't have to use as much material. Then I'd use Aves Epoxy putty or magic sculpt. After you mix it you can shape it with water and a putty knife. It will dry hard and a rock and can be sanded when your done.

JB weld is great as it self levels for the most part but I actually like plumbers putty better. I think it’s more durable and sands to a better finish. But I use both.

- - - Updated - - -

JB weld is great as it self levels for the most part but I actually like plumbers putty better. I think it’s more durable and sands to a better finish. But I use both.

Thanks everyone.
Can aves epoxy sculpt be tinted with paint so I do not have to paint it after?

aves comes in a bunch of colors. you can paint over it when its dry. I wouldnt introduce anything into it to color it. It will screw up the cure time or. not cure at allYou can sand it, drill whatever. Thats my go to putty for tons of stuff

Thanks everyone.
Can aves epoxy sculpt be tinted with paint so I do not have to paint it after?

I think you can tint Apoxie Sculpt with certain types of paint. Call Aves tech support. Every time I have called they have answered the phone promptly and thoroughly answered every question I have had.

The trick will be getting the exact right mix to match the surrounding area. You may have to paint anyway.

Aves is my go-to for just about anything.

Water works for smoothing and shaping it but isopropyl alcohol works much better. It works just like the solvent Aves sells with the putty.

I would start with expandable foam, it would be less costly than foil and it's nice and rigid. Easy to sand and cover over without worrying about compressing the under surface.IMG_5171.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back