Netflix Recommendations Thread

Again, I know not Netflix but I just finished The Wire and am needing another binge show. I've never seen either The Sopranos or OZ. Can someone give me some advice on which is better and maybe a brief description of each?
Haven't seen them in a while but I liked OZ more. Don't think it can compare with The Wire though.

For Netflix recommendations, more people need to watch Dark. In German, please(dub is awful).

Just discovered 'Toast of London',.....starring The IT Crowd's Matt Berry

I love it

J

Last edited by a moderator:
I love "Aggretsuko". It's about a little red panda that hates her job and her boss so she deals with it by singing death metal karaoke. This trailer is in Japanese, but it the series is dubbed into English. The interesting thing for me is that if you have the subtitles on the text is a lot different. I have a feeling the subtitles are a more literal translation.

I love "Aggretsuko". It's about a little red panda that hates her job and her boss so she deals with it by singing death metal karaoke. This trailer is in Japanese, but it the series is dubbed into English. The interesting thing for me is that if you have the subtitles on the text is a lot different. I have a feeling the subtitles are a more literal translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgPgktxjlaU

That looks kind of funny, pity that it's dubbed, I'd rather watch it subtitled with the original Japanese dialogue.

On the subject of subtitles, more often than not, the subtitles are a looser translation of the actual dialogue with word choices and phrases often changed from their original to something more American.

That looks kind of funny, pity that it's dubbed, I'd rather watch it subtitled with the original Japanese dialogue.

On the subject of subtitles, more often than not, the subtitles are a looser translation of the actual dialogue with word choices and phrases often changed from their original to something more American.

It is subtitled, it's not dubbed.

The version I watched was definitely in English, unless I can understand Japanese and didn't know it. This is a new series Netflix had made, not the original 2 minute or whatever episodes from Japan.

Unless they changed it in the past few weeks, the one I watched the day it was released on Netflix, was subtitled and completely in Japanese. 10 15 minute long episodes. *shrug*

Unless they changed it in the past few weeks, the one I watched the day it was released on Netflix, was subtitled and completely in Japanese. 10 15 minute long episodes. *shrug*
Weird. I started watching it a day or two after it started and it was in English with mismatched English subtitles. Maybe someone threw the wrong switch when they first released it.

I am not sure about "Happy!". I am at episode 4 now and my first impression was "too much of everything, trying way too hard!".

I love the Sacks character and Happy, I like the other characters. I like the premise. It is very comic-y. Cartoon-y. Smoothy is a cartoon character, over the top.

But everything around that seems too be too much. The production design. Rough and used, okay. Christmas is an important part of the story. But the sets and decorations sometimes pull me out of the story. The wardrobe. The costume designer IMO tries too hard when he shows Blue and his family wearing all the exact same christmas sweaters, while he threatens the dog with a fiery death. Everything is set up to traumatize and go to extremes. The violence (right from the very first minute on) is comical and IMO fanboyish choreographed, the dialogues are somewhat Deadpool-ish written but IMO do not work because they force it onto us, all characters have something witty to say. IMO every minute is without contrast.

Maybe it is the topic of an abducted child that does not resonate (baby in the microwave made me cringe). Or maybe it is, because I usually like me a good revenge flic, but the story is tough to watch. And then there is the
mystical, the supernatural
aspect that does make it interesting. I am wondering how much longer I can stand the overload, the sometimes foreseeable dialogue and jokes. Torn. And not really happy, still curious if there is going to be a happy end or not ;)

Binged this short series a couple weeks ago. I remember the pizza guy bomber, but never knew the rest of the story. Very compelling.

Pretty sure this has not been mentioned: Dead Set, a TV series from 2008. It's about a zombie outbreak outside the studio filming Big Brother.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

I just finished watching "Spectral". I thought it was pretty good. The thumbnail makes it look like a cheap SyFy production, but it's not. The heavy equipment lifters were pretty cool.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

A lot of quality movies have just dropped on Netflix UK. "Wind River" is the first of them that I watched. It must be nearly 30 degrees outside today in the sunshine but its about twenty below in the film. Some of the best performances I've seen from Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen helped by a slow cold burner of a story that pulls you in until it explodes inward with icy fury.Simply brilliant.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back