Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Hey roygilsing ! I like your model, but I'm wondering if scottjua can confirm or deny that there's another angle on the pommel cubes' side of the Mystery Chunk?

Like this...
Ridire Firean - Anyone else see this angled edge on the Mystery-knob_2.jpg

I definitely see an angle leading off the upper right hand corner where the Mystery Chunk meets the step up to the Pommel Cubes section and it has my thinking that the Mystery Chunk isn't square afterall. The bottom side is less descriptive in this view/screengrab, but since humans like symmetry, I just extrapolated that angle to the other side of the Mystery Chunk to end up with a 'Home Plate Chunk'.

What do you guys see/think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I might be right. I hadn't seen that.
But it doesn't show in this ROTJ screen grab:

V2-mystery-knob-1.jpg

Hey @roygilsing ! I like your model, but I'm wondering if @scottjua can confirm or deny that there's another angle on the pommel cubes' side of the Mystery Chunk?

Like this...
View attachment 773996

I definitely see an angle leading off the upper right hand corner where the Mystery Chunk meets the step up to the Pommel Cubes section and it has my thinking that the Mystery Chunk isn't square afterall. The bottom side is less descriptive in this view/screengrab, but since humans like symmetry, I just extrapolated that angle to the other side of the Mystery Chunk to end up with a 'Home Plate Chunk'.

What do you guys see/think?

I definitely see an angle leading off the upper right hand corner where the Mystery Chunk meets the step up to the Pommel Cubes section and it has my thinking that the Mystery Chunk isn't square afterall.
What you're seeing is the base of the flattened corner facet, just like the upper left hand corner... and just like Roy pointed out with his render (although I'm not so sure they're as round as he has depicted them). So it's not a square with perfect 90 degree sharp corners - the corners are flattened (or slightly rounded, depending upon your point of view).

chunk.jpg

The more I see, the more I'm thinking it's nothing more than a small bolt that happened to fit the hole they wanted to fill, and one of the prop guys ground the head down so it wouldn't have that hexagonal shape that would identify it as a bolt.

The more I see, the more I'm thinking it's nothing more than a small bolt that happened to fit the hole they wanted to fill, and one of the prop guys ground the head down so it wouldn't have that hexagonal shape that would identify it as a bolt.

I'm 98.76% sure that no one on set would take the time to grind metal off of the sides of a tiny bolt to disguise the fact that it's a bolt.

I'm under the same impression. Last minute touches needed for a prop on set and whoever was handling it had to have grabbed something close by, and of little consequence, to use. It's figuring what would've been available, or most likely to have been, that's trouble.

I still believe it's a stamp of some sort, if it's not a leathercraft tool. The checkering on the surface of the thing I think was meant to leave an impression on or in something. I don't think it was just for contact with a hammer or something.

It's still the original tape that's on there. Gaffer tape is cool because it doesn't leave duct tape like sticky residue. When old, and used, it tends to just lose it's stick, and come loose just like it is on the prop. I use gaffer tape all the time in photography, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

Hey @scottjua ! I've been looking at gaffer tape this afternoon in anticipation of Anakin Starkiller's Spring 2018 V2 Run and comparing what's available in today's market to the tape on the V2, and I'm wondering if you or @BAlinger15 would be kind enough to comment on the tape itself.

It looks like gaffer's tape comes in 1/2" widths from a few vendors and I'm curious to know if the tape on the V2 looks as though its width has been altered any? By that I mean that I'm wondering if the tape used on the V2 was trimmed down from a larger width roll of 1" or greater? Since I have no idea if tape manufacturers made gaffer tape in 1/2" widths back in the 1970's, I've been thinking the tape on the V2 (which looks like it may be 1/2" in width in the photos) may or may not have started out that wide.

I realize that the tape's width might be difficult to determine if gaffer tape is stretchy like electrical tape, but I'm completely unfamiliar with gaffer tape having never used or seen it in person. I'd love to hear your recollections on whether the tape had two smooth, straight edges, or one smooth straight edge and one frayed edge (like it'd been torn in half lengthwise), or maybe even one smooth, straight edge and one smooth but crooked edge (like it'd been cut in half lengthwise with scissors or a sharp knife).

The second question I have about the tape is its texture. Was the visible cloth of the tape very tightly woven? Did it look like smooth fabric like a bed sheet, or was the texture more pronounced like on a knitted blanket? Some of the online closeup photos of modern gaffer's tapes make the product look almost like a thin strip of asphalt, some look like duct tape or reinforced packing tape, and others look more like Gummed Linen Tape, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on which would be more accurate to the vintage original V2 tape.

The final question I have for you guys would be about the number of turns of the tape around the neck. Does the tape barely make one revolution around the neck, or is it several wrappings? Is the number of tape layers visible? If yes, how many?

I'm eager to begin collecting the odds and ends bits and materials for my V2 and this seems to be the only part not currently on backorder.:wacko HA!:lol Again, I'd love to hear all you can share about the tape in hopes of being better able to select an appropriate option for my replica. Anything and everything you can think to share, from "it looks like the finest Egyptian Cotton sheets at Bed Bath and Beyond" to "it has golden sand stuck underneath the loose end" and "grey clay-like smugdges of dirt" or whatever else is present on the real V2's tape that you remember and can pass along about it will be greatly appreciated!

Gaffer tape is a cloth based tape (sorta like duct tape) so you can tear it in a straight line easily. I use it in music-related applications all the time and I don't recall ever seeing anything other than 2" rolls.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Thought I'd add this here. Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere!
Capture.JPG

I find it interesting how the grip/rings/grenade look rounded.

Last edited:
It could just be the angle/quality of the photo, but I had always heard the top of the emitter was a steel washer and the emitter is hollow as it was milled out to add bearings. The washer on top of the hollow emitter head is why you don't see that outer-most flange on the wooden master buck or the metal copies from that mold.

This is why people think there is a recessed inner area on the face of the emitter. The entire face (the washer) was painted black for ANH but the washer is ever so slightly concave and the paint has worn away due to blade strikes in a circular pattern giving the illusion of a recess when it's really just slightly concave.

No idea if this is true, just something I heard many years ago.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rttfkbbs...tgdrkk/9/976173/4001324/27506298927936-vi.png

I agree with what @James Kenobi 1138 says about a washer being the emitter face. If you look at the pic below, you can see it looks like a washer that has had the hole enlarged, somewhat unevenly. That'd also explain the warping of the emitter - washers are pretty easy to bend.

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 1.04.39 PM.png

Just out of interest, does this look like a casting seam?

Capture.JPG

Apologies if this has been covered - i'm only up to page 77 or so!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back