Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

It has a sensor how clean the water is, so it noticed no dirt and had a shorter runtime than filled with used dishes.

The shine is gone, but it looks more dulled than really darkened.
Did it look like this? Mine didn't darken either
20170210_224339.jpg

The old ones were handmade, and have various different knurlings (can happen with the same tool, depending on adjusted pressure).

The new ones were still handmade ........... and still vary in their knurling. :lol

- - - Updated - - -

According to how it looks on the pic, yes.
I think I'm going to try the pipe cleaner aka liquid plumber mixed in with some water. It gave pixel piper a nice darkened result.

I think I'm going to try the pipe cleaner aka liquid plumber mixed in with some water. It gave pixel piper a nice darkened result.

My tests were actually with Beer Line Cleaner which isn't quite what's used in Liquid Plumber. :) But the caustic properties might produce similar results.

As to folks who don't see he same (expected) reactions from the dishwasher: I've proposed a hypothesis for this already and shown example photos: different alloys react differently. In my first soak tests with the line cleaner, I had one part turn black and a different one only get hazier but lighter colored. In the dishwasher they ended up both darkening, but with markedly different results.

Hey guys, hoping someone could shed some light on this.. Well I have a few questions, but I wont get carried away ^^
I did see something similar touched upon earlier in the thread but it was a bit hazy to me.

The main body part between the booster section and grenade grip. Is that 38.1mm with or without the clamp on?

Assuming a graflex clamp is 0.80mm thick which is what my machinist buddy has come up with, the main body should be 37.3mm diameter without the clamp?

My tests were actually with Beer Line Cleaner which isn't quite what's used in Liquid Plumber. :) But the caustic properties might produce similar results.

As to folks who don't see he same (expected) reactions from the dishwasher: I've proposed a hypothesis for this already and shown example photos: different alloys react differently. In my first soak tests with the line cleaner, I had one part turn black and a different one only get hazier but lighter colored. In the dishwasher they ended up both darkening, but with markedly different results.

Yeah, I knew the difference but I want something a little less toxic. Instead of minutes it took about a half hour. This stuff, kills your pipes so I did it all outside including the washing and clean up.

Don't use this crap on your pipes, it will eat them!

Sorry, meant to post this in this thread, accidentally put it in the Unibody thread!

Warning... super stupid question to follow.

Do we know for sure it is tape? Has Brandon or anyone that has examined it said it was specifically tape?

I'm looking at some not really great screen grabs from the recent reunion between the V2 and mark, and I've got to say it looks a bit like a piece of shrink wrap tubing. That would explain the thickness, lack of a tape edge (at least I haven't seen one) the sort of Satin shine... crazy, and likely wrong I know. Just throwing it out there.

Quote from other thread:

It is widely presumed to be some kind of tape so to stop the emitter from spinning

Yeah, I understand that much. But is it "presumed" to be tape, or confirmed to be tape? We also know that the emitter does still spin based on the same recent video I referenced.

I've seen some good examples of tape being used... and then I've seen some not so good ones. Just throwing out another option that I don't think has been brought up before. There is a little wrinkle noticible in the new video, but I couldn't see any tape edge or indication of lifting anywhere. If it was an old rubber shrink wrap heat sealed on it would look very similar.. at least I think so..

Again, probably wrong here... just want to throw it out there as a possibility.

Without the clamp. It's assumed to be 1.5" (38.1mm) AFAIK - based on the OD of a Graflex flash gun.
Yep, the booster section has a diameter roughly equal to 1.5" plus the thickness of the clamp, so the transition to the booster section is a smooth one. If anything it might be a tad wider than the clamp area

Sorry, meant to post this in this thread, accidentally put it in the Unibody thread!

Do we know for sure it is tape? Has Brandon or anyone that has examined it said it was specifically tape? ...

Was gonna refer you to the earlier photos on this thread but also this quote from the man himself:

...There is gaffer's tape over the joint where the emitter connects to the main body, theoretically to prevent it from spinning (probably added for ROJ.)...

Very best,
Brandon

There is no assumption. It is gaffer tape.

Yep.. you're totally right! I remember seeing that post from him and just completely forgot about it.

Alas.. 'tis the risk of thinking out loud. But I'd rather think aloud and be wrong than not think at all. That's what the RPF is about after all, right? Theories, and research to confirm or deny them. ;)

Was gonna refer you to the earlier photos on this thread but also this quote from the man himself:

There is no assumption. It is gaffer tape.

Without the clamp. It's assumed to be 1.5" (38.1mm) AFAIK - based on the OD of a Graflex flash gun.

Phew thank God! I thought I had all my dimensions off.. Basically I have the main body at 38.1mm diameter (which is what a graflex is designed to fit around) then the booster section a little thicker, at a 39.7 diameter (to be flush with the graflex clamp).

Thanks!

Do we know for sure it is tape? Has Brandon or anyone that has examined it said it was specifically tape?

I'm looking at some not really great screen grabs from the recent reunion between the V2 and mark, and I've got to say it looks a bit like a piece of shrink wrap tubing. That would explain the thickness, lack of a tape edge (at least I haven't seen one) the sort of Satin shine... crazy, and likely wrong I know. Just throwing it out there.

Quote from other thread:

Yeah, I understand that much. But is it "presumed" to be tape, or confirmed to be tape? We also know that the emitter does still spin based on the same recent video I referenced.

I've seen some good examples of tape being used... and then I've seen some not so good ones. Just throwing out another option that I don't think has been brought up before. There is a little wrinkle noticible in the new video, but I couldn't see any tape edge or indication of lifting anywhere. If it was an old rubber shrink wrap heat sealed on it would look very similar.. at least I think so..

Again, probably wrong here... just want to throw it out there as a possibility.

100% sure it's gaffers tape. Scott examined this saber himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's still the original tape that's on there. Gaffer tape is cool because it doesn't leave duct tape like sticky residue. When old, and used, it tends to just lose it's stick, and come loose just like it is on the prop. I use gaffer tape all the time in photography, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

I'll second those sentiments about gaffer tape. As a musician, I use it all the time to tape down cables and whatnot. I've seen guys tape down cables with gorilla tape, assuming it's the same as gaffer tape, only to later watch them recoil in horror as the gaffer tape tears up the varnish on a hardwood floor. And yeah, duct tape is terrible, too, leaving that nasty, sticky residue. Gaffer tape is expensive because you get what you pay for!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back