Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

The emitter head spins freely. It is secured (by two allen screws at the end) to an internal rod that runs down into the chamber where the motor was. At this point the rod's only purpose is holding the emitter on. At one point a rod would have run from here to the motor, and I imagine both the emitter and blade were secured to it. There is gaffer's tape over the joint where the emitter connects to the main body, theoretically to prevent it from spinning (probably added for ROJ.)

I'm having trouble picturing this, can someone help explain this to me? Does this mean the nipple is completely stationary and what is the "end" of the emitter that it's secured by two screws? Is that the hole in the windvane and emitter or the holes in the pommel and body?

The machine marks look like lathe marks. They're basically tiny cuts in the surface. They're even - they aren't made by hand.

The nipple is part of the whole emitter unit. There's a hole in the end of the nipple, and in that hole fits a rod that is secured at the other end of the piece (in the motor chamber.) The two allen screws on either side of the nipple thread into a groove that runs around the end of the rod, and then the whole emitter spins around the rod.

B

Yea Brandon, couldn't be more grateful :)

The engineering and creativity that went into making this is really really interesting

I hope Brandon you're okay with me taking the liberty to enhance your initial photographs shown at SWC, altered slightly in PS by means of some colour correction and straightening, using only the pictures shown earlier in this thread . . . if not I'll take them down per request :)

And the lever and activation board :

Chaim

We don't know the cone knob, right? I'm struggling to think of a practical reason to have a cone shaped knurled screw on any machine at all--where could this have come from?! I can't say that I've ever seen a pointy screw/bolt/etc. Weird.

The cone knob didn't come from the record player that supplied the Imperial disc greeblies? I thought I read somewhere that it did.

Yep. Top plate nuts. Transcriptors are now selling modern machined replacements on their website. Think they're listed as motor cover nuts.

The unknurled version was used on C3P0's chest.

The cone knob didn't come from the record player that supplied the Imperial disc greeblies? I thought I read somewhere that it did.

I hope Brandon you're okay with me taking the liberty to enhance your initial photographs shown at SWC, altered slightly in PS by means of some colour correction and straightening, using only the pictures shown earlier in this thread . . . if not I'll take them down per request :)

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/V2-ROTJ-04_zps2ncorfbz.jpg

And the lever and activation board :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/V2-ROTJ-03_zps8medxxil.jpg

Chaim

those rings look evenly spaced to me, im also digging the circuit board!

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, Brandon meant the rings diameter was all the same, but the spaces were still wonky?

also a bunch of those silver leads on the card don't go anywhere!

Here is a quote of what Brandon said regarding the grips.
-snip
About the grips - the spacing between each silver ring is not exactly even, but the silver rings themselves are a consistent width all the way around.
-snip
Very best,
Brandon
I've always been of the mind that it's better to ask for clarification than try to interpret someones words. So, Brandon could you shed some light on thd9791's question about the rings please?
On a personal note, thanks Brandon for this wonderful thing you started so many years ago, and for this latest instance of sharing Star Wars history with us.

Kurtyboy%20v2%20circuit%20board.jpg

Anyone know who made this V2 and what upgrades would be needed to make it more accurate?
LukeV2a.jpgLukeV2d.jpgLukeV2c.jpgLukeV2b.jpg

Looks like I need a knurled knob at least and a new circuit board...

Attachments

• LukeV2a.jpg
    LukeV2a.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 821
  • LukeV2b.jpg
    LukeV2b.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 819
  • LukeV2c.jpg
    LukeV2c.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 816
Looks a lot like mine ... except my cubes on the pommel are a bit more square on top ... I do reckognize that replica G R A F L E X clamp ... sorry I don't know the maker ... could use a D-ring as well and some weathering if you want the look of the V2 today ... I left mine as the AFB by Obi-Wan though :)

Chaim

I'm not sure who made yours, like Sym-Cha said, it looks kinda like his.

Well, thanks to that presentation at Celebration and the photos posted here, I tried to update my RussRep as much as I could, until a better circuit board and lever come along.

Here it is, with the things I changed circled!

I added the set screw holding a piece of rod in the emitter, put some gaffers tape on the top half of the neck, replaced the one block from the graflex clamp with a square nut I made myself from 1/8" thick aluminum and put that other set screw further down on the hilt below the clamp. I'd still like to replace the lever and circuit board, as well as my fillister screw behind the conical knob once what its supposed to be is identified. I always love when reference like this comes out, because then I get to revisit props I thought I was done with!

Anyway, here's a few more photos, for prosperity.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back