The Expanse: Props & Found Parts

Re: The Expanse: Prop Weapons

A couple of new shots of the Martian rifle.

Attachments

• TheExpanse_gallery_106Recap_01-A.jpg
    TheExpanse_gallery_106Recap_01-A.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 371
  • TheExpanse_recap_107A.jpg
    TheExpanse_recap_107A.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 447

What's that cylinder for?

The white cylinder is a way of making an air pocket in the mold. After the the mold is complete - I can cut tiny channels in the mold to release trapped air if i find problems with pouring the resin. Some molds with some detail naturally trap air and i end up with gaps no matter how I try to pour slow enough to fill all the channels and let the air escape. since this is being poured as one big piece - It is harder to get the perfect fill point. I just clip off the tiny air hole trees but if gives me a complete molding - most of the time. I am relatively new to casting the pieces. There are a million ways to solve the problems. Casting is kind of a huge art project. The Smooth On products are easy to work with. Part A and Part B - equal amounts - no measurement calculations. If I mix it correctly - pour it slow enough - the air bubbles rise to the surface and pop without forming. But if the mold itself grabs an air space physically - the resin will never fill it as long as air is there. Every project is a learning experience. I may find it possible to later disassemble the air soft gun and mold the pieces separately. But that process may not yield a net worth result. With this one stop process - the end product is a complete gun ready to be detailed with the Expanse prop Modifications and add-ons. If someone wants the most detailed and accurate HERO prop - better to buy the air soft pistol from Hong Kong and add the parts kit. This kit add ons parts will fit since they are made for this pistol. If someone has a better way of molding - I am always willing to learn a better way. - Right now I am trying to find a plastic supply store in town with mold release in stock. The snow has stopped the show in Baltimore. I ordered a new set of supplies from Smooth On - but it will be days before it gets here. I want to pour this baby up. If this does not work well - i can always do a better job with the Martian pistol. Next up. It will have more pieces.
maxresdefault-1.jpg

Hoo-ee! Stuff hit the fan tonight! Things are coming together! And a two-hour season finale next Tuesday night!

Looks like some 'new' (?) weapons, too, along with a glimpse of the Martian pistols. I thought I saw a bad guy with a black Chiappa Rhino revolver. Some small sub-machineguns as well.

-MJ

OK I can't get enough Expanse ! I took some screen caps. I know there were questions on the martian pistol about the silver top gun sight. I am sure the silver tube at the back of the sight is slightly larger than the the tubes in the forward half of the pistol. When i began modeling the 3D pistol to work out the details - that is the only thing that will match the angles. The tube is slightly smaller in the middle and maybe the front blacked out is the same as the middle tube or slightly smaller. pained black the perspective is harder.

Martian pistol 1acf.jpgMartian pistol top view 228.jpgRPF Martian pistol 544.jpgRPF Martian pistol 23459.jpgRPF Martian pistol s538.jpgRpf Martian pistol with Light 34565.jpgRPF More guns.jpgMartian pistol 1af.jpg

New and exciting things happening in the show !!! Who built the mystery Stealth Fleet. What the heck is that skin Rash?

Just got a shipment of material from smooth on. I did not realize the shelf life for the plastics are so short. Part A and Part B are not sold separately and begin to break down after six months from the batch date. My molding problems were from expired chemicals - not my technique.

Last edited:

gotta say, that was a nice shootout!
really like the guns Amos and Holden were sporting. Where they the standard Martian Marine issue? that 'block' in front of the trigger guard looked new.
it was cool to see the Rhino getting some airtime. :)

harada357....what you're doing looks cool! can't wait to see more! :)

gotta say, that was a nice shootout!
really like the guns Amos and Holden were sporting. Where they the standard Martian Marine issue? that 'block' in front of the trigger guard looked new.
it was cool to see the Rhino getting some airtime. :)

harada357....what you're doing looks cool! can't wait to see more! :)

I had some problems with the plastic - mix was expired. Got my shipment from Smooth On - but now i need the time to pour it. Everything is sitting there so close.....

Soon.

I am at work now. I am loving this series.

I think that is new, and I don't know what it is. They used to have a light gray thingy there, but now it's been replaced by these black things that look like old-school laser sights. I wonder if there was some line in the script that necessitated the change. I don't recall seeing any visible laser sights in the episode. Perhaps they show up in the finale? Maybe there was a cut scene that explained the change?

-MJ

I figured the 'new' gun was some sort of tactical version of the standard pistol that was in the armory aboard the gunship, maybe?? :)

good luck, harada357! hope you work out the kinks :)

Couple of new caps of the pistol, not great, and a cap of Amos loading a magazine into the rifle? They cut away before he inserts it or opens anything, so I suspect that was an impromptu thing.

Attachments

• shot0035.png
    shot0035.png
    1 MB · Views: 364
  • shot0034.png
    shot0034.png
    923.8 KB · Views: 359
  • Magazine?.png
    Magazine?.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 386

Ok - a few hiccups - Almost there:
Almost there 68.jpg

I went on Amazon and picked up the FIVE book Series by James A Cory - The read is astonishing. The series seems to follow the first book so far. Incredible stuff !!

The five books:

Star Helix Pistol is coming -

MIKE Keep those Screen caps coming !!! Martian pistol in progress.

OK - pulled the first two Star Helix Glocks from the mold. I used Black Onyx as the base resin. I still have a lot to learn with the molding - but managed to pop out these OK. A couple of Air bubbles - and extra flashing - but they still came out sweet. Here is a pic.

First run 972.jpg

I need to scratch build the gun sights - add the front barrel extensions - and paint. Decals when we can work it out.

Kits will be in the junkyard

Martian pistol next up.

There are also a few shorter prequels / side stories, including "The Butcher of Anderson Station" and "Drive," about the creation of the Epstein drive: http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/

And the 'new' things on the MCRN pistols appear to be flashlights. At least, they have flashlights in them, used when the crew is searching the hotel room for you-know-who.

Finally got some good frames of the pistols in episode 8. These should help immensely :) More caps on the way.

-MJ

Attachments

• MCRN Rifle Foregrip Underside.png
    MCRN Rifle Foregrip Underside.png
    750.6 KB · Views: 296
  • shot0014.jpg
    shot0014.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 277
  • shot0007.jpg
    shot0007.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 417
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 10.11.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 10.11.57 PM.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 302
  • shot0012 copy.jpg
    shot0012 copy.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 401
  • shot0015.jpg
    shot0015.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 265
  • shot0018.jpg
    shot0018.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 226
  • shot0031.jpg
    shot0031.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 256
  • shot0029.jpg
    shot0029.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 273

More caps from episodes 7 & 8.

I don't know what the little tac-light is from, if it's even off-the-shelf.

Attachments

• shot0097.jpg
    shot0097.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 310
  • shot0095.jpg
    shot0095.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 272
  • shot0084.jpg
    shot0084.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 271
  • shot0079.jpg
    shot0079.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 270
  • shot0078.jpg
    shot0078.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 249
  • shot0055.jpg
    shot0055.jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 272
  • shot0035.jpg
    shot0035.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 237
  • shot0034.jpg
    shot0034.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 269
  • shot0103.jpg
    shot0103.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 334

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back