Alpha Proto's 's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Ganon from Legnd of Zelda

Re: Original Concept Gannon: The Legend of Zelda. Puppet Costume.

Oh wow, this is going to be BIG! Love it.. you NEED pics of this with a Link and Freya's Zelda when it is done!

With only 10 days left this is officially a speed build.
I almost feel like I am on that show Faceoff...

Oh wow, this is going to be BIG! Love it.. you NEED pics of this with a Link and Freya's Zelda when it is done!
Yep, this is pretty big. I am standing ontop of two buckets I screwed some old Nikes to. Without the head I am at 6 foot 10 inches tall. That is the height of the WWE pro wrestler the Undertaker ^_^. With the head I should be 7 feet tall.

Yeah, there is always a cosplay at anime conventions. I am sure to find a few. I think that was one of my motivations for making this.

I just got done trying to use psycho paint. I have to say the solvent toluene is some powerful stuff! I put it in a plastic cup and I noticed it leaking. So I doubled the cups. Then it just ate through the bottom of the cups! O_O
Kinda freaked me out.
I was wearing a respirator, and working outside. It is very windy outside, but after using it I did not notice any odor.
I will have to get some stir sticks, and containers to mix in.
I have to work all but Thursday this coming week so I have to get this painted either Thursday or work really early in the morning.

I will try to get the costume done in the meantime.
This one is different than the last 2 foam fabricated builds I did. My last builds were done on top of a wet suit. This one is on EVA foam sectioned like armor.
So far the right side is done. I will try to get the left done tonight. I am going to add more to the upper arm. I want the shoulders to be very wide since the head is so big. So that the shoulders even out the scale. I hope to start smoothing the details out with cuticle scissors, and dragonskin metal sandpaper. That will lead the way for some wood burning tool detailing.

I have a rod in the shoulders through the arms to form a T-pose. I hope that when it comes to the latexing this will keep the arms from fusing to the sides.
CIMG9519_zps15df6b82.jpg

CIMG9516_zpsdf809478.jpg

The arms are sectioned to simulate real muscle structure. This was something I did not attempt with the Lizardman.
CIMG9517_zps69dfec72.jpg

CIMG9518_zps016ebbbe.jpg

Here are the hands. I plan to use key rings for the finger operating. The zip ties I am using now are are too risky. I have one with foam and the other doesn't. I plan to add some elastic on the back of the fingers so the fingers return faster. So I have not gotten the chance to skin that one. The skinned hand has stings you pull for each finger. The other has fishing line.
CIMG9515_zps6775ec39.jpg

CIMG9513_zps53705131.jpg

I will try to take more pictures, but times a wasting.

Last edited:

I finished the other side. I also added a few layers of foam to the deltoids/shoulders to make them wider. I also added some trapezius muscles.
I am going to cut in the back details, and smooth the upper body edges.Then I will be ready for the burning details.
Here is the resin cast of the head with the body so far.
CIMG9520_zps1299af85.jpg

I attached the thighs to the calves with some fabric and hot glue.
I added another layer of foam to the thighs to add some thigh muscles.
CIMG9521_zpsa4dbd7fd.jpg

CIMG9525_zps24bbceda.jpg

A lot done for one all nighter. I hope to get more done tomorrow...I mean later tonight.

Here is what he will look like when done. Minus the leg hair. I am going to add the same covers he has on his wrist around his ankles. That should hide my feet and save me money. I dont want to buy 2 wigs just to hang them around my feet.
ganonconceptcolored_zpsda37a748.jpg

The skin is the same color as the picture, but I want it to look like Mr. Wink's color scheme.
mr_wink_23_zps629c3f90.jpg

mr_wink_22_zpsf204fd69.jpg

There is still a lot of work ahead of me.

Last edited:

It stopped raining and I was able to get some airbrushing done outside today! The mottling came out good. I started from light to dark/. I added some light blues to even out the surface. After that I added some dark reds to add some life to the skin. Next I added the green. Then I added some darker greens. To finish up I added some reddish black. To cleaned up a bit I went over the higher areas with more white.
The eyes and mouth area are all getting cut out.
I tried to splatter with a brush, but the psycho paints would not leave the bristles.
CIMG9538_zps7cf6ab1c.jpg

CIMG9539_zpsa0ea99be.jpg

CIMG9540_zps51e13234.jpg

CIMG9541_zps23f1b614.jpg

CIMG9543_zpsa1afa9ec.jpg

I am punching the hair on the face , and head. I have never done this before, but so far I am making progress.
a51259ed-adcd-45f4-a87d-0cc1f6fa3473_zps96c5e6dc.jpg

Last edited:

it's nice to see such a creative take on a classic character. makes me want to start a puppet/animatronic endeavor myself. looks great, keep up the good work!

6 days left @_@! Still no armor, nothing latexed, nothing painted, no mechs!
I have to work until Thursday and the con starts Friday!
I have to crunch some costume time in.

With all the Iron Men hanging around, it is great to see something so different being put together, and with such amazing skills. With how great it looks now, I can only imagine how mind blowing it will be when finished.

Thanks everyone! I have 3 days including today to complete this in time (Face/Off show schedual! XD). Here is what I have so far.
The head is almost done. I need to add a chin strap to it to move the mouth with my jaw movement. I still have to paint and build inside of mouth, and finish brow mechs.
CIMG9550_zps268da082.jpg

I added the details the legs,and upper body. First layer of latex is on. Next layer will be tinted blue as a base color to work with. Thej I m8ghtadd one more layer and then air brush.
CIMG9545_zpse669576d.jpg

CIMG9552_zps7c4005a4.jpg

CIMG9551_zps8fa7b00a.jpg

I still need get feet and hands done. Along with the armor, and crown.

Last edited:

I don't think I will be going to the con today. I have been up over 24 hours working on this thing. I want it done for tomorrow I have to keep working on it.
Everything is working as far as mechs. I had to make some adjustments though. The jaw is not mouth operated. I have to use a string like with the eyes.

All the body parts are base coated in a light blue. I still need to airbrush them.

Still making the armor.

Man, this build is looking awesome! I feel your pain, trying to finish a costume in time for a con is stressful work. It's amazing how all the little things add up at the last minute.

Man, this build is looking awesome! I feel your pain, trying to finish a costume in time for a con is stressful work. It's amazing how all the little things add up at the last minute.

Yeah I have not been awake this long in a while.
I got up at 4:20 am Thursday and thought that a good 12 hours on it would finish things. I am still working on it @_@!

Yeah I skipped out on the con today to try and finish. I have a room reserved for Saturday so I have to go finished or not.

So far I have the armour built, sealed, and primed.
The body needs to be airbrushed. I hope that doesn't take more than 3 hours.

I've got no words, you're way too talented! I'm blown away.

I finished the costume Saturday morning. Eye trigers don't work with the head on. The lever just hits me in the eye when I pull it. The jaw string works, but not well. The light up eyes look good, and the fingers on the hands work. I have to look out of the mouth to see.

I did not get to enter the A-kon contest, or wear it on the floor. My hotel room was not ready when I arrived, and the nearest parking spot was a mile away. So I missed all of the contest.

I was going to wear it Sunday,and put it on for the first time in my hotel room. It is a monster to wear! I walked up 24 flights of stairs the day before to get to my room, because I did not wont to wait in line for an elevator. That choice left me super sour when I awoke Sunday. I also could not afford any food. So I did not eat XD! So moving the build was a pain because I lacked the strength to wear it.

With the thousands at the con I would not be able to move once I got the costume in public. I would be a statue as people took pictures. The build is so heavy adjustments must be made before displaying it in public.

So I will wear it for S.G.C. (Screwattack Gaming Confrennce) in a few days. Smaller crowd, and cash prizes. Should give me enough time to make modifications for comfort, train my body, and mind to wear this thing.
I will have the test photos from my hotel room up soon.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the pictures.
CIMG9570_zps679acfcb.jpg

CIMG9565_zpsf259ee08.jpg

CIMG9560_zps05a499e8.jpg

CIMG9564_zpsc63307af.jpg

My brother took a picture of me beside the door, but it is difficult to show how big this is without a person to stand next to.

Last edited:

That is incredible. If people don't like that, they are dumb. You need to find a Link cosplayer and do some action shots outside.

This is outstanding, sorry you had such a hard time completing it. There is something endearing about the picture of him sitting slumped on the bed. Kind of sums up your whole experience at that con, huh :) Looking forward to seeing better pics and hearing a better story from SGC!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back