It's Bigger on the Inside - New TARDIS Build

Thanks! Yes it is... My main issue right now is too many fandom related projects and too little time / funds... But I'm sure that's a problem that pretty much everyone here experiences haha

That is why you should build the sonic screwdriver first so you can use it at any ATM! That takes care of the funds. Then build a TARDIS. That will take care of your time. Once you build a Wonka factory, you will have so much time and so little to do!

It is good to have friends like me that can point you in the right direction for problems like this! Glad I could help! ;)

Time for sand blasting. One of the things about the BBC prop is that the wood grain is very visible. Being literally out of time, I was contemplating skipping this step because of how time consuming it is. But I decided that I would kick myself later if I didn't take the time to do it.

@Rebelscum did his. @MattMunson did not, but was pleased with the results.

Decisions... Decisions... I am glad I did.

IMG_1923.JPG

It turned out it was a lot easier to take the TARDIS apart and sandblast the posts and panels on a saw horses. BTW... if you ever get a chance to do sandblasting in your garage, you are going to "enjoy" weeks and weeks of cleaning up. It was freezing outside which is why we did it in the garage. A friend of mine, Sam, helped with the sandblasting. Ok... he volunteered, and so I didn't refuse his help, but I think he was a little overwhelmed once he started, and I totally took advantage of the "free" labor. (I gave him treats!)

Meanwhile, I started on the frame for the door sign.

IMG_1935.JPG

The screw holes in the back will get covered up by the light box that I will be building later.

Now, I am doing some final sanding with a sponge sander, and steel wool to remove and smooth the surface as much as possible before painting... VERY IMPORTANT, or the paint will be very rough and will not adhere as well to the wood.

IMG_1927.JPG

I used: 97-98 Subaru - 55A Sydney Blue Fast-dry Acrylic Enamel SS from O'Reilly Automotive. It isn't cheap stuff.

IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1805.JPG

You will need a gallon to be safe. I used an paint sprayer that I bought at Harbor Freight.

This thing looks good! I like how you got the Pantone color number.

Thanks! Great job on your Star Wars movie set den build! Reminds me a "little" bit of decorating the lobby of Lifechurch.tv with a Star Wars theme during their At the Movies series. Yours is top notch, but it is amazing what about a hundred volunteers did in a week with 2 x 4's, cardboard, and paint, and some imagination. Obviously there is a big difference in quality of materials since it was only a temporary movie set that would be torn down in a month, but it had some "WOW" factor. I can't imagine what it is like to see something like your den complete with all the lighting effects.

And now the reveal...

IMG_1942.JPG IMG_1941.JPG

Here is a top view... (without the roof... still have to build it)

IMG_1943.JPG IMG_1944.JPG

There is still a lot to do yet. The windows, signs, hardware, roof, lamp, lighting, sound, and making it smaller on the inside... I mean "bigger".

People were arriving for the party while I was still assembling the TARDIS. The paint was barely dry. Everyone had fun. The fish sticks and custard were a hit, and some people were "upgraded" to Cybermen. No one remembers seeing the "Silence", but people were keeping a count of their encounters.

IMG_1940.JPG

People were arriving for the party while I was still assembling the TARDIS. The paint was barely dry. Everyone had fun. The fish sticks and custard were a hit, and some people were "upgraded" to Cybermen. No one remembers seeing the "Silence", but people were keeping a count of their encounters.

View attachment 279942

While your TARDIS build is extremely cool, I really love THIS story! Amazing idea and amazing guests allowing to be "upgraded"! My girlfriend and me are hosting theme parties every now and then and we always prepare "emergency costumes" for those that weren't able to come up with a costume or didn't want to, but I don't think they ever would allow us to wrap them from top to bottom! :D

While your TARDIS build is extremely cool, I really love THIS story! Amazing idea and amazing guests allowing to be "upgraded"! My girlfriend and me are hosting theme parties every now and then and we always prepare "emergency costumes" for those that weren't able to come up with a costume or didn't want to, but I don't think they ever would allow us to wrap them from top to bottom! :D

Thanks. We had a contest using aluminum foil which team could build the best Cyberman in 10 minutes. It was a lot of fun, but I imagine the "victims" were not quite as comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for the artwork of the St. John Ambulance sign on the door was a little tricky. Secondly, the logo has changed over the years, and from this screenshot, there was nothing really quite like it. So I started creating one in Adobe Illustrator that I could use since the screenshot lacked the fine detail I needed.

msambulancelogo.jpg

Then we get the "blessed" Christmas special, and my world just got a LOT easier.

Dr Who Christmas 2013-3m33s.png Dr Who Christmas 2013-42m18s.png Dr Who Christmas 2013-56m19s.png

The TARDIS was using the newer logo and I was able to find one in High-Res online, and it was easy enough to make a vector image of it in Illustrator and make a vinyl cut from it.

IMG_1962.JPG IMG_1960.JPG IMG_1965.JPG

What we have is two templates. The first is the black circle that is painted first. The second is the mask template for the white paint. The face detail was too small to keep, so I will do that part by hand later.

IMG_1964.JPG

I used the masking tape as a guide when lining up the vinyl. Once it was laid on the door, I masked around it to keep from the over spray. ONE WORD ABOUT PAINT... Cheap was NOT a good idea here. I had to REDO this door a couple of times for different problems I had. Since the paint was not drying quickly, it would want to lift the vinyl and bleed through. When I did the white paint, it was very obviously NOT good.

Since I was using enamel based paint, I decided to buy both black and white "quick dry" enamel paint from Lowe's. This worked! Peeling up the vinyl left nice crisp lines.

IMG_1985.JPG IMG_1988.JPG

Here is the final sign on the door. The face detail was added with a fine tipped Sharpie.

IMG_1989.JPG

It isn't perfectly the same, but it is close enough. I am glad I didn't notice the difference before I painted it, or I would have spent hours and hours trying to make it "perfect".

Local news Channel 2 in Tulsa called wanting to interview me, and follow my story. Details to follow.

Working on the light box for the back of the door sign, what I am wishing to duplicate is as you see pictured in the Christmas special 2013. - Got to love PVR's!

Dr Who Christmas 2013 - 3m36s.png

You can see the sign is lit from behind the door from a light box that is approximately 1 inch deep, and inset from the edge of the door.

Door Sign Plans.png

Start with cutting the rabbet in the pieces for the frame, and laying it out in the back of the sign.

IMG_2007.JPG IMG_2008.JPG

I glued on a piece of oak plywood on the back from a window cut-out. When it was dry, I used a flush router bit to trim it to the frame. I added a small block where the XLR jack will be mounted, and cut a hole for it.

IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2012.JPG

I make sure it fits, and pre-drill the holes for the brass screws to hold the back in place. I paint it white on the inside and blue on the outside.

IMG_2014.JPG IMG_2015.JPG IMG_2017.JPG

Now I lay out the LED strips, and solder them together.

IMG_2016.JPG IMG_2045.JPG IMG_2044.JPG

Assemble it together...

IMG_2041.JPG IMG_2042.JPG IMG_2043.JPG IMG_2046.JPG

Fasten it with the brass screws...

IMG_2047.JPG IMG_2049.JPG

This might be a helpful picture for someone wanting to match the hardware in the U.S. Do you know how HARD it is to find these "simple" door handles? If you lived in the U.K., you will be fine because you can order them off of Amazon U.K. I've ordered from Amazon U.K. before, and they will ship Region B videos to the U.S. with no problem. (Region B only works in the region of the world where the U.K. is.) But you CAN'T order $5 door pulls and ship to the U.S. from Amazon U.K. I could only find one U.K. hardware store that shipped internationally. Housegoblin Hardware.

IMG_1953.JPG

NOTICE: In U.S. Dollars at the current exchange rate: $5.58 hardware + $47.18 International Shipping = $52.76 Delivered

I had to find some different screws for the sign door because the ones provided were too long.

IMG_2050.JPG IMG_2051.JPG

Here is with the light.

IMG_2056.JPG IMG_2057.JPG

Unlit...

IMG_2058.JPG

Lit...

IMG_2062.JPG IMG_2059.JPG IMG_2060.JPG

There is a design change in the 2013 Christmas special in the hinges for the door. Previously the door had 1 inch hinges. The newer 2013 TARDIS has larger hinges... perhaps 2 to 2 1/2 inch hinges. I have bought 1 inch "small box" hinges, but they don't seem to be rugged enough to withstand much use/abuse. I have some larger ones on order varying in size from 1 inch to 2 inches that seem more rugged. We will see.

I am going to work on the top, which is the last piece of the exterior of the TARDIS.

Tardis Top Plans.jpg

My plans require the top to be built in two halves so that when I tear it down, it will fit in one very crowded car (in theory), or perhaps partially in a second car. It basically has to fit in the door or trunk.

I am starting off building the top part of the tiered roof. From there, I plan to build downwards, and then upwards. I am using the same kind of doweling system as what I used in the base.

IMG_2065.JPG IMG_2066.JPG

Next, I added the spacer around the parameter.

IMG_2083.JPG

I glued up the bottom part of the roof that will get attached to the spacer.

IMG_2092.JPG

Now, I attach it once the glue dried.

IMG_2095.JPG IMG_2096.JPG

NOTE: Unless you glue these 45 degree mitered corners perfectly, the final assembly will not go so well. On working on the other half, I ended up having to break the joint and reglue it.

IMG_2097.JPG

Next step... building the center box that holds the lamp.

First time I've seen this thread. Awesome work so far! Great attention to detail, and it definitely looks bigger on the inside. :cool

I like the telephone door being lit and being able to open. Any chance of a phone?
I would think that would compromise the inside dimensions of the box, though.

I like the telephone door being lit and being able to open. Any chance of a phone?
I would think that would compromise the inside dimensions of the box, though.

Thanks.

Yes. As a matter of fact, I bought the same one used in the Christmas 2013 special on eBay about a month ago.

Dr Who Christmas 2013 - 3m36s.png

It's a GPO 332 phone made in the 1960's in the U.K.

$(KGrHqZ,!qUE88fkKScVBPcb3bumhQ~~60_12.JPG

There will be a removable box enclosure for it for portability, and ease of set-up and tear-down. I still have to make it though. Stay tuned.

Yes, it makes it easier for us when they use REAL objects for their props compared to if they make them from scratch.
You must have found that phone fast. I sometimes look for objects for YEARS without finding them.

Yes, it makes it easier for us when they use REAL objects for their props compared to if they make them from scratch.
You must have found that phone fast. I sometimes look for objects for YEARS without finding them.

Yes. It helps also when you see discussions to identify parts and materials used in props. I had no idea which phone was being used until someone in a discussion identified it. I decided at that point to find one and order it. Wished it was cheaper, but sometimes you have no choice if you are remaking an authentic replica.

It's been a little while since I have posted, so I will get everyone caught up.

I built the center box for the lamp to plug into. Setting my saw at a 12.5 degree angle, I cut the groove for the roof.

IMG_2098.JPG IMG_2099.JPG

Using a scrap 1/4" oak plywood, I test to see how it will fit.

IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2101.JPG

Now, I have to make the angled pieces of the back that will attach to the center.

IMG_2102.JPG IMG_2103.JPG IMG_2104.JPG

Let me just say this was probably the trickiest part trying to figure out the angles and making sure the pieces could fit together without obvious gaps.

Now... it seemed best to attach the "wings" using a dowels, and using a jury rigged clamp to hold it together while the glue dried.

IMG_2106.JPG IMG_2107.JPG

Finally, I used biscuits and gravy to hold it all together.

IMG_2109.JPG IMG_2110.JPG IMG_2111.JPG

Now comes the fun part...the roof.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back