Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Lense flares in Star Trek.

Movies that spend 80 minutes building up the tension just to have it 'fixed' in 5 minutes. (That goes for TV too).

Psychotic killers as the heros of the story.

When something explodes, we see ten repeats of said explosion from every possible angle.

Movie henchmen.
They see that their co-workers are expendable and watch them die in horrible ways, wouldn't it occur to them, :"Hey, wait, I could be next! This isn't worth what they're paying me for this."
For that matter, who on earth would sign on to work for someone wanting to destroy the world? Who the frak would want that?

The fact that all bombs have visible digital timers on them that count backwards.

Every desert scene has to have the sound of an eagle/hawk cry to emphasize seriousness and desolation.

If I was an evil villain, I'd make my bombs have timers, but have them go off at, like, 20 min. left. Or I'd make the timers count forwards, and you just wouldn't know when it was set to blow. Also, all the wires would be red, except for one pointless wire, which would be painted with silver glitter.

Movie henchmen.
They see that their co-workers are expendable and watch them die in horrible ways, wouldn't it occur to them, :"Hey, wait, I could be next! This isn't worth what they're paying me for this."
For that matter, who on earth would sign on to work for someone wanting to destroy the world? Who the frak would want that?

Maybe because the pay is great, the work pretty easy, good hours, and the benefits are to die for.

I only skimmed the first two pages and the last page, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's already been mentioned...but

I cannot stand how a lot of the time when anyone makes a phone call, and the person being called isn't there to answer, it always seems to go to voicemail immediately after one ring - even on landlines. I rarely see them wait through the multiple rings before being able to leave a message. Not to mention how cell phones almost always seem to be off/dark when they are talking or hanging up, even if they were only on the phone a second.

the ease with which people get knocked out when convenient as a plot device and the length of time they stay knocked out from a little whack

having gone through some EOD training in the Army, this one drives me nuts: The bomb squad guy who doesn't need to look at the the bomb, someone can describe it to him. Doesn't matter that someone the EOD guy has never met built the thing by hand, he knows which wire does what. Never mind the fact that most explosive devices don't even have coiled wires in many cases. And almost none of them have timers (but several other's hit that one already).

That, and the good guy who can pick up any woman who looks like a supermodel with just one glance (think late Roger Moore James Bond movies).

And speaking of Bond, how about the adventure hero who gets into a huge hairball situation, in the middle of nowhere (or in the center of a far-off, hostile country) and it just cuts to him walking into his own friendly HQ later. How the heck did he get out of that hairball and back to the friendlies alive?

having gone through some EOD training in the Army, this one drives me nuts: The bomb squad guy who doesn't need to look at the the bomb, someone can describe it to him. Doesn't matter that someone the EOD guy has never met built the thing by hand, he knows which wire does what. Never mind the fact that most explosive devices don't even have coiled wires in many cases. And almost none of them have timers (but several other's hit that one already).
You mean an obnoxiously big clock isn't an essential part of every explosive device?

I also like that every movie villain is compliant with some standard wiring color coding scheme ... "Do you see a blue wire? OK there should be a green one next to it... "

You mean an obnoxiously big clock isn't an essential part of every explosive device?
Heck, we were tossing 5-10 pound block demolition charges once like they were going out of style, had a 5-ton LMTV filled with the things (being around a SF or USMC unit at the end of the fiscal year can be a lot of fun if you like blowing stuff up or shooting stuff). They all had pull ignitors, pretty much like 4th of July fireworks except you don't use a lighter to get the fuse started. They're about as predictable, too. You're supposed to cut them to length, which is marked along the side.
But like the old adage of 'every 5 seconds greande fuse only burns for 3 seconds" you never trust the things if you're smart.

Speaking of explosives: setting off C4 by shooting it or putting it in a microwave. I don't know about shooting the detonator but the stuff is just too stable otherwise. Though shooting tnt might set it off, especially if it's old.

The hero never has a problem getting a parking space right in front of wherever he is going.

The radio always plays the news item specifically applying to the situation when turned on.

If the hero needs a last minute flight to somewhere there is always a seat available.

the point isn't about movies having absolute authenticity.

There are times a film takes so many liberties with reality so as to confound a viewer's ability to suspend disbelief.

Where that limit lies is viewer dependent and, yes, everyone has a limit unless they're blessed enough to be completely naive.

I understand your point, but to see a movie, one has to have a modicum of naiveté, the "based on a real story" doesn't even come close, sometime, to the real story. My point is and reading the discussion I'll never see a movie again:rolleyes. You know that it's not real, it's like comic strips, cartoons but with real humans; I've come to accept the "unreal" and "not believable" for a moment of fun, action, love, etc... That's why I see movies (yes, I've the heart of a child:)

I cannot stand the sound of an obviously empty automatic being ******. Is it too much to add the somewhat heavy sound of a round being chambered in post?

Virtually all bombs. Those with really big, obvious count down timers, or ones that beep, or have flashing lights for no apparent reason or, worst of all. those that have red and blue wires to cut!!!

Cars that suddenly explode simply because they have been launched into the air.

edit. Didn't look at all previous post before I added my comments. I see I am not the only one who hates Hollywood bombs.

Here's another gun related one, it's the automatic pistol that, instead of locking the slide back when the last round is fired, keeps the slide in place so that we get to hear a nice clicking sound as the shooter pulls the trigger on an empty chamber. Like, what automatic with a slide does that, to the best of my knowledge all automatics with a slide will lock the slide back on an empty magazine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back