Hollywood vs. Rotten Tomatoes

Studios can't cry foul when they continue to only invest in things they think they can put a model to. If they want better reactions, they need to make better movies and stop getting in the way of creativity and originality.

And I say that as somebody whose ego is currently solely riding on the fact his movie is currently at 86% on RT.

It's hard to sell a crap product... Make a better product, you'll get better results!

How many Hollywood remakes of old TV shows do they need to flop before they recognize that the old formula doesn't work anymore?

A single data point......My friend is an editor, you would know the shows he has worked on, he is pretty moderate and may flip either way on issues depending on his thinking, he is pretty smart and would happily engage in reasonable unheated conversation to explain his take on things.
However he is attacked mercilessly by co-workers if he makes any
challenge to their unsolicited commentary, some just start talking AT him as if it's assumed that well of course you agree with us. He has learned to not take the bait. It has weighed heavily on his emotional health at work as you can imagine and of course there is the fear of not getting work, it's different there, show ends you're out of work. Your not employed long term for one company. Networking and professional relationships and reputation are your life line to the next job. On social media
even industry "friends" will attempt to simply shout him down or label if he makes a logical argument to see things a different way. Why people on social media are so comfortable to suddenly post heated politics with family/friends escapes me. It rarely leads anywhere good. So that's my window into that world that is a single data point. I don't know anyone else
in the industry.

As for RT, it's really just a consumer report for a product. No different from anything else we purchase, they doth protest too much, methinks.

That certainly happens, and its horrible. I've been on productions like this where everything is incredibly toxic. I've also been on projects tat were more or less like going to summer camp. It takes a REALLY strong ego to be a director or producer with a vision, and it's a fine line from being that person to being a raging a-hole.

I think Colin Trevorrow was quoted saying something similar recently-- and look what happen to him.

Personal politics aside, nobody mentioned the most ridiculous and funniest part of that article:

"In an absurdist plot twist, Rotten Tomatoes is owned by film companies. Fandango, a unit of NBCUniversal, which also owns Universal Pictures, has a 75 percent stake, with the balance held by Warner Bros. Fandango bought control from Warner last year for an undisclosed price." (Warner Bros. retained a minority stake)

Personal politics aside, nobody mentioned the most ridiculous and funniest part of that article:

"In an absurdist plot twist, Rotten Tomatoes is owned by film companies. Fandango, a unit of NBCUniversal, which also owns Universal Pictures, has a 75 percent stake, with the balance held by Warner Bros. Fandango bought control from Warner last year for an undisclosed price." (Warner Bros. retained a minority stake)

Yeah sort of kills any conspiracy theory that critics are bought off.

The public has had enough of Hollywood in its current form. I'm a busy Barber and I hear it all the time in my shop. The public is tired of the politics, the regurgitation, and the current Stars. It's like the worst frat house on campus has taken over the industry. A bunch of spoiled, self absorbed brats. They can't even be funny anymore without toilet humor and to make it worse is they think they are cutting edge.

My Barbershop has walls full of headshots of stars from the golden era of Hollywood and I get more positive comments from kids in their teens than anyone else. These kids know things can be better and want it desperately. In fact, I'm surprised at how many of these kids watch TCM! If someone had the money of Bill Gates, they could position themselves on the ground floor of the new Hollywood that I feel that is coming. A renaissance of sorts.

Yeah sort of kills any conspiracy theory that critics are bought off.

Actually it reinforces the theory that RT could manipulate what reviews they want to aggregate to raise or lower a movies score. Not saying its true but I could see a call come down from Universal saying, "lets drop 5 of the bad reviews for 5 good reviews'.

While I do believe SethS in his assertion that the rank and file just want to make a movie, Im a little sick of seeing Hollywood and movies with a certain slant. Tell a good story and people will pay to see it. I had one of these guys make a climate change comment while boarding the private jet....a jet that will burn as much fuel in one day as I burn in my Range Rover in 15 years (Ive done the math).

The public has had enough of Hollywood in its current form. I'm a busy Barber and I hear it all the time in my shop. The public is tired of the politics, the regurgitation, and the current Stars. It's like the worst frat house on campus has taken over the industry. A bunch of spoiled, self absorbed brats. They can't even be funny anymore without toilet humor and to make it worse is they think they are cutting edge.

My Barbershop has walls full of headshots of stars from the golden era of Hollywood and I get more positive comments from kids in their teens than anyone else. These kids know things can be better and want it desperately. In fact, I'm surprised at how many of these kids watch TCM! If someone had the money of Bill Gates, they could position themselves on the ground floor of the new Hollywood that I feel that is coming. A renaissance of sorts.

Studios are losing their minds because everyone under the age of 17 would rather watch youtube. I have to drag my kid to the movies.

Studios are losing their minds because everyone under the age of 17 would rather watch youtube. I have to drag my kid to the movies.

yes, delivery is changing once again but Hollywood has been dealing with it since television.

They invented CinemaScope to compete with the 4:3 TV screen which matched 4:3 screens. They feared (with good reason) that TV would kill theaters but it didn't. The Networks feared VHS would kill viewership but it didn't. Heck, they thought movies AND television would kill radio and it didn't. YouTube won't change things much. Content is king. If that content can only be seen at a theater, that's where people will go.

Better movies and cheaper ticket prices: the only two things that would help, and the only two things they won't try.

IMO the out-of-control cost of filmmaking is at the heart of both problems.

Look at the 'Baywatch' movie this year. $69 million bucks (just production, no marketing). $9 million went to Dwayne Johnson. How on earth did they spent $60 mil on the rest of it?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back