Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I just hope the 4Chan leaks are completely wrong. They certainly appear to be garbage, but I can see the force tree thing possibly panning out.

ANOTHER Force cave/tree?

god, lets not try to do anything unique....are they going to introduce a new water race with a voice that sounds like merman in episode 9 called the merlacanians?

In addition to that thing I said about Luke Skywalker being one of the most important fictional characters of our time, I also want to me to mention that the Star wars films are rare in the sense that the movies ARE the source material.

So if star wars is as important as say, lord of the rings, then what Disney is making is the continuation of the source material. That's both quite a high honour as well as a great responsibility.

And so far I don't believe they have let that sink in. They are just hammering this stuff out to make blockbusters. They aren't expanding a legend.

Hate the prequels all you want but we will forever know what order 66 is. We will know the rule of two. Mustofar will always be with us.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

what heroes?
she's only thought of him as legend and probably never gave him a moments passing thouht until han brought it up.

Did you manage to read the whole post and comprehend it before firing off your response? I assume not because you cut off the relevant bit...
"Rey has a certain expectation as to what she might be getting from Luke and what that might entail, and as a lot of people know, it’s difficult when you meet your heroes because it might not be what you expect.' The point to be drawn here is not whether or not she sees him as a hero, it's that the expectation she had when she met him was not met and her character is dealing with that in the film. One can assume she was expecting the man to match the legend, and he didn't. Hence the "not meeting your heros" angle.

You know, I always see you quickly run off with your posts. Most of the time they are an amusing little look into misery, but I've honestly got to tell you, lately they haven't been very well thought out. It's all fine and dandy you parade yourself around with a differing view, but at least make it one worth the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, who will be "frozen in carbonite" in this one? Poe?
Finn is in stasis, right there in the trailer, that's the ESB copy of Han in Carbonite... It will be ESB re-made as TFA was ANH remade... You only need to recall what George Lucas said about Disney after Ep8 to know that it's not what was intended for the Saga and unless you are a 'supporter of Star Wars just because' then this will be a massive disappointment again for people like me that love Ep 1-6

Meh

Did you manage to read the whole post and comprehend it before firing off your response? I assume not because you cut off the relevant bit...
"Rey has a certain expectation as to what she might be getting from Luke and what that might entail, and as a lot of people know, it’s difficult when you meet your heroes because it might not be what you expect.' The point to be drawn here is not whether or not she sees him as a hero, it's that the expectation she had when she met him was not met and her character is dealing with that in the film. One can assume she was expecting the man to match the legend, and he didn't. Hence the "not meeting your heros" angle.

You know, I always see you quickly run off with your posts. Most of the time they are an amusing little look into misery, but I've honestly got to tell you, lately they haven't been very well thought out. It's all fine and dandy you parade yourself around with a differing view, but at least make it one worth the time.

yes I did.

sometimes i think the same about some of the replies i get :).

As I recall in the Force Awakens,Rey said something like 'I thought he was a legend'..... then han preceeds to tell her that the force, the jedi, the sith, and all that are all very real.

I got the impression that while rey may have heard of luke and what he did, she honestly didn't give it all that much thought at all.
she had much bigger problems to worry about, as to why she wa s left alone on a planet by her parents..

For that matter, why did Leia send her to retrieve her own brother, if she's been looking for him for years? other than the fact that rey is the new main character?

is that clearer? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'll worship my heroes however the heck I want to! ;)

As they say "The heart wants what the heart wants" Hahaha.

For me, it's about what I feel is a satisfying payoff to past setups and character arcs. I've always felt that Luke would reject the old ways, but still honor them. He was eager to fight. He was interested in doing the right thing and being a hero. Now, if these things are somehow addressed, cool. Part of what I'm looking forward to is seeing how they address certain narrative payoffs.

I know some things are very unlikely. One thing I would enjoy seeing is Luke taking The Knights of Ren to school all at once in a raw, brutal light saber battle sequence. Granted, we did not see the Knights of Ren in TFA so I have a feeling Luke may have done some house cleaning already, and Kylo escaped the battle with the help of Snoke. We will probably never see that, because it's not terribly likely to be part of the story. Does not stop me from wanting it to be. ;)

Even old Ben got to be a badass once. Just give Luke a badass scene. I don't want to see him teach Rey for 2 hours and then die in bed a bitter old hermit.

Of course the new team behind Star Wars is in it for a cash grab. It's the most lucrative film franchise in history. You don't purchase Lucasfilm properties for any other reason. Films are a business. I don't hold it against producers for wanting to see a substantial return on investments. Ever. But I think there is more to it than that. There is passion and creativity present. Rogue One was a fantastic film. TFA, while mirroring ANH was still it's own story and had it's own identity. And TLJ does seem like it's going to mirror ESB, which again will not be a deal killer for me as long as the film has it's own identity.

That stuff said, I'm a big fan of Rian Johnson. I'm excited that he directed this installment. I think he's going to deliver a better film than TFA.

I have one bitch with studios and really Star Wars. If JJ or who ever thinks that this story needs to be 3 to 3.5 hours let it. People have been waiting for these stories for 30 years. Don't cut corners and just assume the audience will figure it out of fill in the blanks. I mean would Gone with the Wind be as good as a movie if they cut it down to 90 minutes? Some stories need/deserve that extra and I feel that Star Wars fits that bill.

In TFA Rey seemed pretty enthused when Luke's name was initially brought up and then her experience with his lightsaber and Maz rattled her to the core. So I would say she's very aware and engaged in the Legend of Luke.

I actually found that to be a bit odd. Although it swelled with sentimentality to hear Han tell her about Luke and the Jedi, I found it odd that she's heard of any of it. It looks as if she grew up on Jakku, living in an old AT-AT. She was practically the feral boy from mad max. Sure, we will get more of her story in the next one, but it isn't like there was any media influence in her upbringing.

She was not the only one on Jakku. Also, it is a trading post and plenty of people stop there so I'm sure she has heard stories.

I actually found that to be a bit odd. Although it swelled with sentimentality to hear Han tell her about Luke and the Jedi, I found it odd that she's heard of any of it. It looks as if she grew up on Jakku, living in an old AT-AT. She was practically the feral boy from mad max. Sure, we will get more of her story in the next one, but it isn't like there was any media influence in her upbringing.

Regarding TFA and TLJ....
Complete Sense being talked here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ietaHqGyvJc
Disagree.

A lot of the same tired arguments I've read evertwhere else. (Was difficult to make it past the TFA copy/paste comment).

A follow up to TFA is of course going to show retalliation from the first order. Luke training Rey is also nearly a given. I don't see how those elements are surprising or disappointing.

The books on the shelf hint at a deeper mythology to the Force, did he miss that?

Other than that, it's basically just a trailer of Star Wars action scenes, including battling in space. Very little, if any plot points were revealed, and you know you cannot trust the dialogue they insert, if you remember how they did the TFA trailers.

I got the feeling he was an EU fan that would only be pleased if they "imagined" things from legends and inserted them in to the film.

I found the teaser to be pretty cool. It shows they are working on it, and visually it looks great. Plot-wise, have no idea, and there's way to form an informed opinion it so far.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

even anakin heard stories on tatooine growing up.

but if how daisy phrases it is correct, she uses the word 'heroes'...like Rey knew and worshiped luke all her life. Well, she only knew han for about twenty minutes and apparently already thought of him as a surrogate father, so i guess things move quickly in that galaxy ;o)

to me, it doesn't add up if you use totally new characters who never met the originals at all until this movie happened.

it might have been funnier, if they all interacted f rom the start, and turned some real world fan boying into rey as if she was star struck when she met han..

I found the teaser to be pretty cool. It shows they are working on it, and visually it looks great. Plot-wise, have no idea, and there's way to form an informed opinion it so far.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

i do find t his description rather interesting.

We have LOTS to go on.

We know so far that Disney likes to play it safe. We know rebels is filled with call backs and is a literal lead up to episode 4.

We know R1 is an extension of episode four, with, well, again, lots of call backs.

We know TFA is basically an Episode 4 retelling. with maybe one or two things thrown in that are new. and also borrows heavily from EU influences.. intentional or otherwise.

sometimes you CAN tell what is going to happen from previously released material, or take educated guesses at it.

My guess is they will borrow stuff from empire this time around. it fits the pattern perfectly of playing it safe until the investment is paid off and then they can afford to experiment a little, if Disney has even HALF the talent it used to have before it became too corporate.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back