Budget Franken-M2019 Blade Runner Blaster Build

Djblingbling1

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have yet to make a real "build" thread, and want to start before I get too far ahead.

I am pretty active on a local firearms forums, and knew that Charter Arms revolvers sold really cheap. The plan was find a broken one over a functioning one since I dont have any desire to build a live fire. I put up a WTB and waited.

I ended up finding a .38 bulldog, that had been turned in to police down in CA, and chopped up to de-commission it. The cut was right behind the trigger/hammer at the grip, and another at the top of the frame above the cylinder. I figured between the Steyr and huge grips those areas should be mostly covered and took the gamble, at a whopping $13 for the thing.

Here is what I received:

6zvCWmG.jpg

I welded up the top, removed the barrel, cut the shell ejector rod, and started planning the rear section.

I found a grip frame for $45 shipped, and was able to use that to line up where to weld for mounting points

wtSytTz.jpg

I opted to just weld little wings om the the rear for the grip frame vs trying to replicate the clean lines of the stock setup. I used an angle grinder to cut and shape so I was having to go pretty caveman. I also cut and installed the front trigger in the middle of this.

Dont mind the bad paint on the wing, I started working again before it dried and it looks pretty bad, but I plan to worry about the final finish once everything is welded up:

gZGQcYe.jpg

I found some used Off-World grip parts for $20 shipped, and also bought a set of grips directly from Off-World for $25 shipped.

SBgVTow.jpg

Once I got all the wings welded I didnt need the front pin hole from the grip frame anymore to line it all up, so I trimmed that. The OW outer grip frame needed a bit of dremel work to fit the real bulldog grip frame.

WKOcJfZ.jpg

During all this I also got a large chunk of the Steyr parts from the classifieds on Prop Summit.

I got as much of them assembled as I can.

sIVyeN6.jpg

CeHOg81.jpg

I bought a Weaver 29S off ebay, hoping for a un-cast knob, but ended up with one from the 30's with a smaller and slightly incorrect knob.

mLAwsXe.jpg

I also scored a field radio with the correct binding post, but do not currently have it in hand.

After much fitting, messing with hardware, and assembly, here is where I am currently at;

VAYgau0.jpg

qomPuCV.jpg

lbSWZ1A.jpg

Rmbj7yr.jpg

rRCP7Y3.jpg

The only real update since these pics from a few days ago is that I got a better screw, that needed to be modified, and attached the trigger guard.

I bought some 3/4 aluminum stock that is currently with a family friend being turned into a mock barrel.

I still need a Coyle Steyr receiver for my bolt, as well as the lower magazine housing and magazine.

The biggest challenge will be the side cylinder covers. Ones for a standard .44 will be too large I think, and all the options I have found so far are too expensive to take the risk they wont fit, or be made to fit.

Unless I can find a cheap option I will try Off-World to see if that's a part that can be bought on its own, and if that fails I will have to attempt to 3d model something that can be printed, and then cast.

I am still trying to track down a sight rod that I can use to scale my covers around, but no luck so far.

A few updates from the last few weeks!

At the moment the gun has no hammer...I am unsure if its worth the cost of adding one since it wont be seen....but because if it not being in there the transfer bar flopped around, so I removed it.

I also improved my mock bullets. I had .38 shells in the cylinder just to keep it full, but I added plastic plugs in place of the spent primers, this way it is easy to identify as a mock round.

hFMC7Qy.jpg

Just today I got my barrel in the mail! I had a family friend make it to some specs I drew up. Finally its starting to resemble a blaster!

JOdiqeJ.jpg

8cu5N6B.jpg

3Tw1fGa.jpg

EtjgSjL.jpg

I have a slew of other parts coming in the next week or so...nothing major, just minor bits, real weaver knob, binding post, sight rod, and a cast magazine. Hopefully this means ill have more updates soon!

Awesome ! may I ask. did you only use one screw for the cylinder swing arm and the trigger guard? been wanting to no what the guys that make a shooter do In that situation. I know Its not a shooter but hey. its a dream of mine to do something similar...and again AWESOME!

Awesome ! may I ask. did you only use one screw for the cylinder swing arm and the trigger guard? been wanting to no what the guys that make a shooter do In that situation. I know Its not a shooter but hey. its a dream of mine to do something similar...and again AWESOME!

I did, but it was kinda tricky, because its a threaded screw with a flat un threaded point...ill take a good photo for you in a bit. Basically the swing-arm is threaded and then it goes into a notch with no threads. I had to kinda custom work a screw to get it right...a second screw would make more sense, but I hate to add un-necessary holes.

I did, but it was kinda tricky, because its a threaded screw with a flat un threaded point...ill take a good photo for you in a bit. Basically the swing-arm is threaded and then it goes into a notch with no threads. I had to kinda custom work a screw to get it right...a second screw would make more sense, but I hate to add un-necessary holes.

Yeah I have a swing arm and screw. its weird how the swing arm rides on the threads of the screw. for a shooter I'm thinking there's a second screw used for the trigger guard. not allot of room there for that. but that's just me thinking anyway Until I get some facts. thank you

Yeah, honestly a lot of stuff would need to be reinforced on a real shooter that would make it less accurate than a non shooter. .44 Special is no lightweight, and anything not properly secured is going to fly off if you shoot it enough.

anything other than a blank I would have to have my pee pee pants on...lol

That's kind of my end goal, is set mine up to shoot super light blanks, or fire of primers at least to get some sort of stunt effect.

I would just be too sad to have my Steyr receiver go flying off into my forehead!

I commend anyone with the patience to make a live fire though, as its a hard enough build without the logistics of firing real bullets!

Last Friday I received my EE-8 field phone, and correct weaver knob. (I had bought a 29s scope with the incorrect smaller knobs)

Finally got a chance to pull the binding post from the phone, and snap a few reference photos before adding the parts to my build pile!

TKlPtwI.jpg

ELkEKWH.jpg

My EE-8 has seen better days, but the knob is in great shape, and that's all that matters!

PnLotsd.jpg

Here it is all re-assembled out of the phone. For anyone who dosnt know, it is the smaller of the three, and the one on the far right in the above photos. There are two 1/4 nuts that need to be removed from the inside to remove it.

4gJBEAb.jpg

Here is my Weaver 29s with the proper knob.

Ggbkm66.jpg

3tTsi9r.jpg

o5MdH9r.jpg

gzb9Xsn.jpg

And finally here is one last pic of the two "greeblies" ready for the build;

SmlwIbP.jpg

I have a few parts still yet to come in the mail, so stay tuned!

Kinda dropped the ball on updating since ive been busy building.....

Swapped the plastic Off-World parts for metal
K678Fjl.jpg

Right side cover on, as well as the magazine housing. Added my real Weaver knob and binding post as well.
Fmcsd4I.jpg

Mockup, next to add the tabs for the receiver and then drill and tap for the front screws....getting close!
QgGETyc.jpg

Once its all on I have to trim the left side cover to fit, as its meant for a .44 and hits the receiver, but it should be easy enough. Then painting, bluing sanding, and aging, and making sure im happy with all the screws and hardware.

SO close now, but trying not to get ahead of myself. I did a bit and cracked the magazine housing and had to glue it back together, Its unbelievably hard to get the mix of real, coyle, offworld, and misc parts to all work out!

Parts list so far:

Charter Arms - .38 Undercover Revolver
Offworld - Grip frame, Butt Plate, Grips, Steyr Receiver, Trigger Guard
Sidkit - Side Covers
Coyle - Bolt/Lever, Front Receiver Plug, Magazine and Housing, Safety
EE-8 Binding Post
Weaver 29s Knob
Barrel Custom Made
S&W K Frame Front Trigger
Lots of Hardware!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back