Chronicles of Riddick Boot Knife - Finished!

tmax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, so I've just picked up a couple of Riddick knives by UC...

7S4VrF3.jpg

Been after them for a while as my brother-in-law Max was in Chronicles...

WWHoQYl.png

3WgdA8o.png

ArAkW8x.png

He also did the new Riddick, so I'll also be working on the knife that Vin used to kill Max from that film too...

qJEqtp5.png

pqE204B.png

AxqUNho.png

bJXb2UZ.png

czlg1FE.png

For Chronicles, I want to replicate Riddick's boot knife...

o6lNPpv.jpg

HRXqJwL.jpg

The screen used knife was a modified Kit Rae by UC. This is mine...

HgHZHOv.jpg

Obviously, there is some modding to do here, grinding off a bunch of the handle, etc. And of course I need to remake the handle and add the grip ring on the end. This is where I need your input. How would you guys tackle this? I've worked a little bit with metal, but not to this degree. The grinding part is easy enough, but how do I add a new handle? My initial thoughts are to grind down the handle thin enough to insert into an aluminium tube, then use car filler to mold it together. Or is there a better way?

Suggestions and input welcome.

Last edited:
Re: Chronicles of Riddick Boot Knife - ideas wanted!

Hey guys, so I've just picked up a couple of Riddick knives by UC...

https://i.imgur.com/7S4VrF3.jpg

Been after them for a while as my brother-in-law Max was in Chronicles...

https://i.imgur.com/WWHoQYl.png

https://i.imgur.com/3WgdA8o.png

https://i.imgur.com/ArAkW8x.png

He also did the new Riddick, so I'll also be working on the knife that Vin used to kill Max from that film too...

https://i.imgur.com/qJEqtp5.png

https://i.imgur.com/pqE204B.png

https://i.imgur.com/AxqUNho.png

https://i.imgur.com/bJXb2UZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/czlg1FE.png

For Chronicles, I want to replicate Riddick's boot knife...

https://i.imgur.com/o6lNPpv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HRXqJwL.jpg

The screen used knife was a modified Kit Rae by UC. This is mine...

https://i.imgur.com/HgHZHOv.jpg

Obviously, there is some modding to do here, grinding off a bunch of the handle, etc. And of course I need to remake the handle and add the grip ring on the end. This is where I need your input. How would you guys tackle this? I've worked a little bit with metal, but not to this degree. The grinding part is easy enough, but how do I add a new handle? My initial thoughts are to grind down the handle thin enough to insert into an aluminium tube, then use car filler to mold it together. Or is there a better way?

Suggestions and input welcome.
No suggestions. Just wanted to say Awesome!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Me personally. I would just use the aluminum pipe for the end ring at the back. looks like there may be more attached to that hard to tell. and i have no clue what the handle Is made out Of, some kinda pot metal mabe. have to be careful grinding If so. but anyway most of the shape is there. i would just cut out whats not there and use a mix of materials.

Aluminum ring/ mabe a piece of flat aluminum bent and shaped with the grinder to go up Into that half finger hole. and i would shape it with two part plumbers epoxy and some bondo.

but that's just what I would attack it with...

look forward to progress pics...:thumbsup

That dude is your brother in law? What else has he been in? I think he is the guy I always confuse with Flea from the RHC Peppers (who acts a little bit). . .

The 3 Riddick films are cool and blades from the 2nd film will be iconic film blades in time.

This is gorgeous. Just it looks 1/2 a gram heavy on the back end :p

HgHZHOv.jpg

Me personally. I would just use the aluminum pipe for the end ring at the back. looks like there may be more attached to that hard to tell. and i have no clue what the handle Is made out Of, some kinda pot metal mabe. have to be careful grinding If so. but anyway most of the shape is there. i would just cut out whats not there and use a mix of materials.

Aluminum ring/ mabe a piece of flat aluminum bent and shaped with the grinder to go up Into that half finger hole. and i would shape it with two part plumbers epoxy and some bondo.

but that's just what I would attack it with...

look forward to progress pics...:thumbsup

Thanks sean, appreciate your input. Yeah, I’m thinking along the same lines. Reshape the existing handle then use car filler to fill in what’s missing. End ring out of aluminum. Then paint. Shouldn’t be too hard to tackle. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

That dude is your brother in law? What else has he been in? I think he is the guy I always confuse with Flea from the RHC Peppers (who acts a little bit). . .

Yeah mate, he’s done a bunch of films...

Shepherd
Carrie
Warm Bodies
Red
Shoot 'em up
Dairy of the dead
Hairspray
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 2
Bullet proof monk
Man of steel
Hell Boy II
Kick Ass 1
Scott Pilgram
Total Recall
Chronicles of Riddick
Riddick
Suicide Squad
Twilight 3
Xmen
Xmen - Days of future past
Immortals
Pompei
Jumper
Robocop
Pacific Rim
Pixels
Kingsman - The Golden Circle

He was Ron Pearlman’s stunt double in Hellboy II. So every action/fight scene is him. He also features in a lot of the posters. This is Max...

78ff33ca181747f8025bffb0a03cdf7a.jpg

Yup, I’m a total fanboy [emoji23]

Made some good progress today. First marked where to cut/grind...

kv3aRS7.jpg

Parts cut...

P1sJPu3.jpg

Grinding done...

dlVElW2.jpg

qP7MRT7.jpg

For the end ring I cut a bit off an aluminium paint roller handle. It had an inner ring as well, giving me size options...

sB8caDF.jpg

Depends on which pic you look at, but went with the larger ring...

g0e9Ix4.jpg

Cake icing time...

nxkZt7H.jpg

Carved off the excess...

ghUBPz0.jpg

UqgmFWA.jpg

More icing...

WSp2ScQ.jpg

More shaping...

59R662d.jpg

K2ZUBn7.jpg

Sanded...

H5rAnvu.jpg

jj1F0Me.jpg

letv3g3.jpg

Glued the ring on with some Gorilla Grip. First time using it, so hope it holds. Also, added a small piece of wood for the flat detail you can see in the pics under the ring...

RUOLs2D.jpg

Next step, reshape the end then putty and prime ready for paint.

Last edited:

Wasn't happy with the ring, wanted it thicker, so used another piece of pipe with both inner and outer rings...

yC5V3Le.jpg

More filler...

sTwJRnq.jpg

Looking a lot closer...

8Pohe9f.jpg

nOwqFck.jpg

Ready to prime...

vG7vONI.jpg

DcSsbOO.jpg

fGERfPE.jpg

Ready for paint.

You've got the eye my friend. looking great! :thumbsup

You've got the eye my friend. looking great! :thumbsup

Ha ha, doesn’t help being a bit of a perfectionist! But then I tend to think most guys on here are. And most way more than me. The lengths these guys go to on their props is breathtaking. I still fall into the noob category! Lol

Re: Chronicles of Riddick Boot Knife - WIP

Ok, so this was a bit of a learning curve. First up I tried acrylic paints as I was convinced I could achieve a good finish and they are easy to use.

Started with a black wash...

ft2UrB5.jpg

This gave a pretty good finish...

e1NsKEI.jpg

0A90ujg.jpg

Some of the images I have of the original prop shows a slightly rusty colour to the finish, so went over with another wash...

N9A5pIW.jpg

oHa82Hc.jpg

LvZpWXm.jpg

RP2ufXl.jpg

It turned out ok, but I wanted it more weathered. The problem with the acrylics is that it was near impossible to add more weathering without affecting (damaging) the previous layer. So in trying to make it better, I only made it worse. I stripped and redid it 4 times but was never fully happy with the finish. One side would look good, then I'd go to fix up the other side and ruin the whole thing. So I stripped it off again and went out and bought some oil paints.

2Lt160I.jpg

It's my first time using oils so again, a learning curve. But great practise for my D9 Rifle which is next on the list. Then my lil R2.

The oils were great to use, you could adjust and re-adjust, blend colours, etc. I laid down black, then used burnt amber for the rust colour detailing. Pretty happy with how it turned out...

x5EdxFO.jpg

ySgp3eK.jpg

fB3v2yF.jpg

WPM7qfd.jpg

KgZtZC0.jpg

MlWVX04.jpg

X2AjVZq.jpg

Tomorrow I'll clear coat it. Hopefully there won't be any issues laying clear over the oils. I'll keep ya posted...

Fantastic build/mod. I'm a big fan of the Riddick films, so any chance I get to see those builds I enjoy them.

And how cool your brother in law was in 2 of those flicks!!

Fantastic build/mod. I'm a big fan of the Riddick films, so any chance I get to see those builds I enjoy them.

And how cool your brother in law was in 2 of those flicks!!

Thanks mate! Yeah I'm a big fan myself. Even Pitch Black was awesome when it came out. And so cool that Max worked on the Riddicks. Here he is with Vin...

wkXAG4K.jpg

Can't wait to build the knife from Riddick that Vin uses to kill Max. I've got a guy in Canada modelling the handle to 3D print and I'll make the blades from aluminium. I'm planning to make a couple, one for me and one for Max.

raVID7N.png

Max is funny, he never considered keeping stunt props from the many movies he's worked on. He does have a 300 sword and his stunt sword that he fought the prince with in Hell Boy II. But not much else. I've been picking up props for him here and there and slowly turning his office into a display room...

nrtGlF0.jpg

He's now more in collector mode and after my prompting managed to pick up a killer sword from the show he's currently working on after having a chat with the prop dept.

I LOVE that sword from HB2. Great story! Glad he's got the bug. ;)

Looking forward to your build thread for the bootknife.

I LOVE that sword from HB2. Great story! Glad he's got the bug. ;)

Looking forward to your build thread for the bootknife.

Well, in that case, let me give you some more deets about it... the one on the wall is the first prototype they gave Max to use. Solid aluminium blade and resin handle. It took Max all of 2 seconds to realise this was way too heavy and would probably kill his counterpart while filming. So they remade the stunt sword using a hard foam for the handle and also the blade which they covered in silver wrap. It's the bottom one in this pic...

vLjhhly.jpg

So that's the actual stunt sword used in the film. It's ugly as heck so when I saw the prototype I insisted that was the one that had to go on the wall. Ha ha. I have the official replica of both the sword and spear, which are stunning...

NKbU2wg.jpg

LgfR3W2.jpg

Actually I believe the knife in this thread is known as Riddick's "boot knife" from Chronicles. The one I'm yet to make is Riddick's Necro throwing knives. He produces 2 of them on screen and while he is down on one knee at the time, there is no indication they came out of his boot...

c2XisRx.png

I could be wrong on that of course. Either way, after Riddick throws them at the 2 guys either side of Max, he pulls one back out and stabs Max in the shoulder with it, right before Max gets his head blown off. Lol

7BktKTs.png

bJXb2UZ.png

XoXyPny.png

You did an amazing job on this one. I'm sure you could pull off two more of the boot knife from scratch..:thumbsup

You did an amazing job on this one. I'm sure you could pull off two more of the boot knife from scratch..:thumbsup

Thanks mate. The guy doing the handles is taking his time and I’m in no rush so they’ll be a while away. But they’ll all look cool on the wall together with my other Riddick weapons. Working on securing a Necro Rifle too. Finally!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back