Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

Looks like 2049 is suffering like the first did at the box office.

Fridays estimates are close to 13 Million

:eek EEYIKES! :eek

Been having this discussion with a few people will the younger crowd go see this?

Do they even care?

K died because he found his purpose. Batista stated something to the effect of: there's no greater purpose than dying for a good cause. In terms of the film's narrative, he had to die. And this one ended much like the original, instead substituting Deckard's daughter for Rachael, embarking on a journey to an uncertain future. Does it need a sequel? No more than the original did, but if they do, it had better be at least as good as this one.

While I'm not in the "best sequel ever" camp (although I think 35 years is the record for longest time between original and sequel), I feel this was a worthy successor to the original.

Just came back from the cinema, and I thought it really did justice to the first movie. Beautiful setting and visuals. Colours are great too, it really is immersive!

Just a question though, and I don't think it's ever been mentioned. But what happened to the 4 years life span of Replicants? Did they remove that, and if so, why? Knowing they'd always rebel eventually?

Absolutely amazing. I came out seriously questioning what was real or not, and feeling like a different person than when I went in.

and Denise you sneaky *******, you managed to add to the “Deckard is a replicant” idea without straight up answering it one way or another.
”I know what’s real...”

"It was in his eyes" - Gaff (EJO)

Its a sheep : Check 44 seconds into trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0CjPWSlrcY note the lack of a tail and the general body structure.

Its either a clever nod to the title of the original novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and its trying to get the audience to think that Gaff knows Deckard is a replicant or its just a throwaway to show that he still makes figures,

Until I see it again I`m not convinced. I cant find a picture of the dog but remember it had a massive fur chest and its tail was between its legs. It works in with my theory that Gaff is a replicant and was helping Deckard all the time. I cant decide till I see it again if the scene with Gaff in 2049 alludes to this or not. Gaff in a RETIREMENT home....genius.

If he does randomly just make a sheep with its only context being to the book title it would be the only openly lame moment in a movie that was meticulously structured not to have any lame moments. Gaffs origami from the original all had clear context and impact.

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and go against the grain here.

Nice to revisit this universe (captured the atmosphere) for a few minutes and then it's just, blah'....snooze fest.

Good thing I had a couple beers before I went in to ease the pain.

-Rylo

I thought it was the sacred cow, and was just there riffing of the prodigal son ref. Can't back it up though.

The four year lifespan is no longer needed as the replicants are now perfected and are more subservient/obedient.

Nexus 8.

I thought it was the sacred cow, and was just there riffing of the prodigal son ref. Can't back it up though.

The four year lifespan is no longer needed as the replicants are now perfected and are more subservient/obedient.

Nexus 8.

Yeah but who wants a slave that can age??

Quote: Lawrence of arabia, 2001, apocalypse now and the original blade runner have all been described as snore fests and very slow films.

The Mona Lisa doesn't move at all. All beautiful.

Meh, Okay...I'm not looking to be converted; glad it spoke to you. :thumbsup I found it to be terribly disappointing. Truly one of the most disappointing films I've seen in a long time. and, I loved the original!

Seeing Ford continue to hobble along and phone in the exact same performance in his last few films has left me feeling like Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the ball out from under him. I keep hoping for one result but continue to get more of the same ol'

Again, fun to revisit the universe for a few, but was ready to leave after the first hour.

-Rylo

Quote: Lawrence of arabia, 2001, apocalypse now and the original blade runner have all been described as snore fests and very slow films.

The Mona Lisa doesn't move at all. All beautiful.

Meh, Okay...I'm not looking to be converted; glad it spoke to you. :thumbsup I found it to be terribly disappointing. Truly one of the most disappointing films I've seen in a long time. and, I loved the original!

Seeing Ford continue to hobble along and phone in the exact same performance in his last few films has left me feeling like Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the ball out from under him. I keep hoping for one result but continue to get more of the same ol'

Again, fun to revisit the universe for a few, but was ready to leave after the first hour.

-Rylo
This^^ Does Ford even bother anymore? How does K get back from the scrap yard when his Spinner is downed? How come the PKD gun shoots more than 5 shots? Why does Wallace need to take Deckard off world? Why is this film duller than Arrival?

This^^ Does Ford even bother anymore? How does K get back from the scrap yard when his Spinner is downed? How come the PKD gun shoots more than 5 shots? Why does Wallace need to take Deckard off world? Why is this film duller than Arrival?

Had reservations about ford but he wasn't too bad, and wasn't overused as much as I was worried he would be.

The Blade Runner blaster has always been refered to as a blaster, only nerds like us know its a revolver underneath so there would be mussle flash on film in 1981, pre cgi.

He tells the drone to look after the spinner so it must have just needed rebooting after the power outage. didn't need to see that really, slow the film even more.

You've got me on the next one though...

I can easily see why fans of the original are split on this. I am as well. I wanted to love it, but it was just okay. Still enjoyable, but does not scratch the itch the first one did. I saw it again, and enjoyed it a little less this time. Theater was not full either. I wonder if it will make enough to warrant any sequels.

Oh, and asking for a friend...that scene with Joi, the Daryl Hannah look alike pleasure bot, and K. Does it count as a threesome? I say technically yes...to my friend.

Hopefully not let the madness stop HERE!

And yes that counted as a threesome with someone getting the short end of the stick!

I just watched Trek TNG "Measure Of A Man" imo a way better but cliff note version of this! :D

Theater was not full either. I wonder if it will make enough to warrant any sequels.

The damning for me inclusion of original character's fates aside, I also had another early concern of making a replicant centered
story again. I'm getting the distinct impression reading spoilers and reviews that there
wasn't any new big questions, rather the same ones re-examined again.

"....choosing to replay entire subplots from its legendary forebear as mysteries to be unearthed."

I'm getting a strong signal that what Roy Batty proved the first time is simply being re-presented again.

it is riffing off the old one mostly in some ways, I liken it to how TNG was a different riff on TOS,

Really did'nt bring much new to the table, at least for me.

I'm sure others will disagree... :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back