Jurassic Park Amber Cane Topper

kludge77

New member here! Hopefully, I don't commit an accidental faux pas.

In searching this forum, I found a number of these Amber Cane Toppers already posted here. I believe mine is unique in the fact the shape was achieved on the lathe and not via casting. I tend to be very "lathe centric" and prefer free forming a shape rather than making exact copies.

I used cray flies for the bugs (we call them mosquito eaters here) and polyester resin instead of epoxy resin because it tends to polish up better. This topper is about 2" in diameter and 4" in length.

Amber.png

I would love your thought on my attempt and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks!

Looks nice. Not many bubbles in the resin, how'd you keep them out?
Polyester Resin. It smells like the chemical bath the Joker was dipped in but it's has a very slow cure time. Unlike an epoxy resin, it takes 24 - 48 hours to completely cure. Most of the bubbles will rise to the surface on their own. It's also really cheap. $30 for a 30oz can. One downside is that you cannot use the flame technique on it as it's quite flammable.

Don't ask me how I know that....

New member here.

I'm actually about to start my first Hammond Cane build, but I can't get my homemade lathe to work. I guess I'll have to start on the egg for now.

Looks great though! Hope mine comes out half as good. Well done!

Hi Peter! Long-time fan!

Your toppers came out great, I think they stand up extremely well to pretty much any other topper I've seen here.

Using the lathe gives you a bit more wiggle room I think. You can cut away most bubbles near the surface, and your polishing technique is superb.

I'd love to see you do more replica prop stuff!

Welcome aboard and nicely done

Thank you! I'm already blown away by the sheer volume of amazing project here!

Hi Peter! Long-time fan!

Your toppers came out great, I think they stand up extremely well to pretty much any other topper I've seen here.

Using the lathe gives you a bit more wiggle room I think. You can cut away most bubbles near the surface, and your polishing technique is superb.

I'd love to see you do more replica prop stuff!

Thank you! After being here for just a little while I've already found some other props I'd love to try and tackle on my YouTube.

Thank you! After being here for just a little while I've already found some other props I'd love to try and tackle on my YouTube.

You're welcome!

I see the "bug" settling in nicely. Welcome to the craziness of replica props! It's a madness really, but we all seem to get by with it pretty well. Haha.

Can't wait to see more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you do a youtube video about your build? I swear just a couple of days ago I saw one of these made on a lathe. I think it turned out great.

Did you do a youtube video about your build? I swear just a couple of days ago I saw one of these made on a lathe. I think it turned out great.

He does, if you click the YouTube icon under his avatar, it will take you to his page where the video is. (and many other interesting builds too imo)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back