The tripods

Lestat

Hi all,

anyone know if there was a model kit of the tripods from the BBC series? they were a very cool design, and would have made a great kit in my opinion.

Fine Art Castings, of Andover, Hampshire, produced an official model, in white metal with a round plaster scenic base around the time of the second series, but you'd be unusually lucky to find one now.

I always liked the ones with the big ray guns, myself...

Fine Art Castings, of Andover, Hampshire, produced an official model, in white metal with a round plaster scenic base around the time of the second series, but you'd be unusually lucky to find one now.

I always liked the ones with the big ray guns, myself...

thanks for the info, yeah I like the ones with guns too, a very cool design

Hi - saw a 'Mammod' model on ebay just last week which went for £29.00.

Missed out on it myself but hoping another one should pop up later.

I have molds to make a small 5-6" tall one tucked away - if they are still viable.

SAS
Hi, Sidewinder! Do you still have the molds? Or -- possibly the STL file to 3D-print the molds? I would really like to have a model. I want to have lighted windows as in the show; best approach I could think of is an LM3914 driven by a 555, simple RC filter. That will make the "eyes" flash in sequence realistically.

Looking forward to your reply.

Molds are long gone, these were made long before 3D print or CAD for this stuff was a real thing like it is now.

That's unfortunate. I'm back to the DAE file -- which, by its size, generates a $37,500 print-charge at Shapeways. Oh yeah, I'll just put that on my credit card.

I converted the file to "STL" on a German site, but a couple of the 3D printers now can't see the head; having a Tripod printed won't do much good if it doesn't have the main part. So if I can't find someone to fix the scaling and print it, guess I'll have to be delayed a few months while I learn to create a new "stl design file".

Thanx for your reply, Sidewinder.

Molds are long gone, these were made long before 3D print or CAD for this stuff was a real thing like it is now.

Sooo --- at the risk of trying your patience (which I don't want to do), if you still have a model, would it be possible to apply a little latex, and create a mold to copy it?

Just wonderin'...

- - - Updated - - -

Shapeways have a facility for you to scale stuff up or down, I noted last time I uploaded a model.

I would have to learn how to do that; and -- apparently the head is separate from the hub/legs, and (according to one printer) not compatibly scaled with the hub/legs. So I would have to separate the two parts (also a learning process), and scale them to fit. Also, his model is not completely accurate; once printed, I would be sanding it and using a Dremel to make it look like the "genuine".

Lol no worries on that score, I come on here to discuss/help out with these type things.

Not really worth molding it for one person, however if you want to buy the model itself, take this to PM and i'd entertain a reasonable offer.

The Shapeways scaling tool is as easy as uploading the design and selecting a scaling % and it does it for you - admittedly i've no idea if it would 'work' for what you have but it costs nothing and only a few minutes to try it.

SAS

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back