New member and another customized Offworld PKD

greendevil303

Hey, guys. Been lurking here for quite a while so figured I may as well make it official and sign on.

This is my WIP. It's my first "prop", if that's what you want to call it :unsure Started as a straight-out-of-the-box Offworld PKD I purchased on eBay back in January from Sandman5. I have to say for the price I was a bit mortified upon taking it out of the box. I already knew it was destined for bigger and better things, so I immediately purchased the Offworld Steyr receiver, outer grip, grip cap and trigger guard.(Apologies for the so-so pics. I had to use my phone)

I completely disassembled the gun and stripped the paint off of all the metal except for the Offworld outer grip. All the metal was treated in a hot vinegar bath to take off the steel sheen and give it a more subdued patina look. I also treated the metal with multiple coats of cold bluing solution and lightly buffed with 0000 steel wool. After that, light coats of oil. I added deliberate rust/pitting spots with a bluing pen.

My only real nightmare with this job was an attempt to silver solder the trigger guard to the outer grip (to keep it from flopping around), only to find that the trigger guard was in fact a casting, which broke at the joint under the heat. Fortunately there was enough of a lip left on it for me to JB Weld it in place (should have done that in the first place). Lesson learned.

The plastic parts of the Bulldog were stripped of paint and re-shot with a dark grey-green primer and wet sanded with 0000 steel wool. They were then rubbed with powdered graphite and sealed with a clear matte finish.

The steel grip cap was stripped of the chrome finish (had no idea how fun it would be to sand through the copper layer), then sanded and buffed with Scotchbrite and steel wool. I shot the bottom with flat black and used tape to lift random patches. Also gave it a quick scraping on the garage floor. Then I hit the entire piece with a quick bluing and the steel wool.

I dug through my reloading box and found a few .357 mag casings and shoved them into the cylinder chambers. Operative word is "shoved" lol

Lastly, I buffed the grip panels with Turtle Wax headlight cream and a soft rag. They became much more clearer, contrary to what my photos show.

Well, there it is. My first PKD customization in the works. I will be purchasing some Coyle parts in the next couple of weeks and doing some replacements/additions. Thinking about relocating the on/off switch for the LEDs. Planning to rewire the existing lights, add one to the bottom of the .222 mag and add two green dummy lights to the "slight rod". I will post pics as it progresses.
Hope you guys like it
icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to the RPF greendevil. For your first prop. you picked a good one. and you did a fantastic job on this.:thumbsup If I may ask. was the functioning trigger removed from the gun for the graphite treatment and sealing? I want to take mine out and not sure what I would find as far as spring's and stuff. looks awesome.

Many thanks, guys :)
sean--I did remove the functional trigger. It consists of the frame pin as well as a staked pin inside the trigger itself (a bit of a bear to remove, I don't suggest it) and the return spring. It's a very simple mechanism.
The metal parts I treated with bluing solution. I buffed them with steel wool beforehand to remove the powder coating (I think they're made from white metal). The plastics were treated with the graphite after stripping and painting.

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE job! That's one of the best looking "Offworld" specimens I've seen. All your finishes are VERY convincing. :thumbsup

Nice work! As a builder of many PKD's this is great for your first time!
A note of caution on the sight rod...I drilled mine out and wired up the green LEDs... it was A PAIN in the butt!! I suggest putting the rod in the freezer before drilling it out so it doesn't break on you! If it does, I have several metal ones I can part with!? Just PM me...

Love it .. this is one prop I would love to add one day.
Look forward to seeing more from you as the appearance on this is very nice.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back