Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Net net I thought it was good, not great, but enough to bring me back for season 2 although I stopped paying for Alll Access.

- - - Updated - - -
I
How about just let people like what they like without shi$&ing on it? Would that be too much to ask?

Everyone has an opinion, and a forum is a place to discuss those opinions...right? I see no reason why I am not free to voice my opinion that Discovery is a steaming pile of crap, while someone declaring a thread is full of neckbeards is just peachy.
Spock No.gif

Your always free to ignore me.

I couldn't make it through 6 episodes of Orville, it just became tedious and repetitive. While Discovery had many issues - the overall plot kept my attention. That said, I'm not sure if I'll be watching season 2.

No, it isn't even that. The Orville is the best Star Trek TV series in the last 10 years. Discovery isn't even good enough to be bad TV.

Oh if only that were true. The Orville at it's best is one of the weaker episodes of TNG and at the worst it's Ted in Space. I'm fine with Seth Macfarlane wanting to do a Star Trek show, but if he want's to do it he should do it, instead of half assing it, hedging his bets, and peppering in stupid jokes throughout it. Or make a straight comedy. Admittedly I couldn't get through the entire season, because by halfway I felt I had been watching two semi-decent shows simultaniously, and neither were worth following up on.

Discovery gets a lot of flak for being "not Trek enough" and sure, I mean when you compare it to the previous seasons you've gotta admit there is some discrepencies. It's certainly no Episode of Voyager where the Rock shows up to wrestle Seven of Nine, or the Episode of TNG where it turns out that Starfleet is being taken over by bug parasite things, or the Episode where Scotty is possessed by the ghost of Jack the Ripper when they're on a planet that looks like historical Scotland, Or the episode where Quark gets a sex change in a whacky comedy episode, or literally all of Enterprise. My point is that I love Star Trek, but we all need to admit to ourselves that a good chunk of this franchise is goofy at best. You can gripe on some of the writing choices in Discovery for sure, but there is literally no season on Star Trek out there that doesn't have these same problems. And what's more, Most of their first seasons are pretty rough (Except Enterprise, I really thing it started as high as it could and just kinda wandered down quality wise). But for example the Lorca plotline I think was one of the better first season Arcs that Star Trek has had. And I feel like people forget that most people hated TNG for not being star trek enough until like Season 3. I'm sure when whatever the next Star Trek series that comes out happens, people will be like 'Well Discovery never pulled this garbage" because for such a progressive franchise, Star Trek fans are by and large slow to accept any change to the franchise.

And honestly, it kinda bums me out, because I think a lot of people will be too busy being angry about what doesnt make sense (And I'll give it to you, Discovery definitely has problems, especially in terms of fitting into canon at large) to give themselves a chance to really enjoy the series as a show. And I don't mean a begrudging three episode pout watch so that they have specifics they can cite when they're mad about it not being exactly what they wanted. But I think some people can't look past the differences, which if you think about it really isn't very Star Trek of you.

But then, Nobody hates Star Trek like Star Trek fans, right?

Vlair,
I couldn’t disagree more, while TNG was good it was too ridged. Orville seems closer to what life aboard a deep space exploration vessel would be like. Relationships between crew mates would become less ridged during non-alert periods and stupid jokes would be common place.
I’ll take Season one of Orville over “disco” every time. When season two of Orville and Discovery air maybe it will be different.
I still enjoy them both though, just Orville more.

...we all need to admit to ourselves that a good chunk of this franchise is goofy at best...

That's just it, and one of the main faults I find in STD. It wants to be 100% edge, with zero goofiness, to get that lucrative Game of Thrones-crowd, and for me that's not a virtue. Any other version of Trek, I can put on the TV in the background and just let it run all day, like having nerdy friends over when you're too tired to interact with people, but I could never do that with SDT as it currently stands. I have zero interest to 'hang out' with any of the characters.. there's no goofy charm, no lightheartedness at all. I just finished watching season 7 of DS9 again today. It's been a couple years, so I had forgotten just how dark that show was, right up to the end, but it still had room to nerd out once in a while. And even though I've seen it many times, I still get emotional at the end. Same with TNG. I'll give STD the benefit of a couple seasons to find the right tone, but right now I can't see it, I don't care about the characters, even though the show itself is very well-made.

Oh if only that were true. The Orville at it's best is one of the weaker episodes of TNG and at the worst it's Ted in Space. I'm fine with Seth Macfarlane wanting to do a Star Trek show, but if he want's to do it he should do it, instead of half assing it, hedging his bets, and peppering in stupid jokes throughout it. Or make a straight comedy. Admittedly I couldn't get through the entire season, because by halfway I felt I had been watching two semi-decent shows simultaniously, and neither were worth following up on.

Discovery gets a lot of flak for being "not Trek enough" and sure, I mean when you compare it to the previous seasons you've gotta admit there is some discrepencies. It's certainly no Episode of Voyager where the Rock shows up to wrestle Seven of Nine, or the Episode of TNG where it turns out that Starfleet is being taken over by bug parasite things, or the Episode where Scotty is possessed by the ghost of Jack the Ripper when they're on a planet that looks like historical Scotland, Or the episode where Quark gets a sex change in a whacky comedy episode, or literally all of Enterprise. My point is that I love Star Trek, but we all need to admit to ourselves that a good chunk of this franchise is goofy at best. You can gripe on some of the writing choices in Discovery for sure, but there is literally no season on Star Trek out there that doesn't have these same problems. And what's more, Most of their first seasons are pretty rough (Except Enterprise, I really thing it started as high as it could and just kinda wandered down quality wise). But for example the Lorca plotline I think was one of the better first season Arcs that Star Trek has had. And I feel like people forget that most people hated TNG for not being star trek enough until like Season 3. I'm sure when whatever the next Star Trek series that comes out happens, people will be like 'Well Discovery never pulled this garbage" because for such a progressive franchise, Star Trek fans are by and large slow to accept any change to the franchise.

And honestly, it kinda bums me out, because I think a lot of people will be too busy being angry about what doesnt make sense (And I'll give it to you, Discovery definitely has problems, especially in terms of fitting into canon at large) to give themselves a chance to really enjoy the series as a show. And I don't mean a begrudging three episode pout watch so that they have specifics they can cite when they're mad about it not being exactly what they wanted. But I think some people can't look past the differences, which if you think about it really isn't very Star Trek of you.

But then, Nobody hates Star Trek like Star Trek fans, right?

So let me get this straight.

Orville unacceptable because of goofy jokes/scenes.
Trek acceptable despite having goofy jokes/scenes.

Can you guess why I can't take your argument seriously?......:rolleyes

At it's core, STD is nothing but a festival of violence and war. It is not Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry would likely have been disgusted by it.

Vlair,

You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but pretty much everyone here disagrees. Discovery isn't just a bad Star Trek series, it's a bad series, full stop. Terrible characters, bad storylines, lackluster special effects, and then you add all of the Star Trek problems on top and it becomes nearly unwatchable. I watched the whole season, thinking it had to get better.

It didn't. I wanted every single character to die horrible, searing deaths. I wanted that stupid looking ship to explode into a billion pieces. The design sense was awful, the SJW sensibilities were idiotic and it wasn't Trek in any sense of the word. You can like it, certainly, but you are one of a very few.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back