Red 5 X Wing Pilot Helmet

TatooineMachine

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello There,

I purchased one of Walter’s X Wing helmet kits and it’s really nice. I was always unsure of the vac formed parts as they looked so flimsy and lightweight. Walters kit is awesome. I’ve started minimal prep & prime and want to get the other parts on the way to finish it up. Imperial Boots has a nice helmet pad & ear cup kit, any other suggestions would be nice for those of you who have built an X Wing helmet. I'm looking for where to purchase a set of Luke Red 5 X helmet water transfer decals, any help would be appreciated. Thank you. I’ll post some progress pics as I go!

Chad

Last edited:
Re: Red 5 X Wing Piolt Helmet

You can edit the topic if you click "Edit" and then "More Reply Options".

Please do post pictures of your build!

TROOPERBAY does vinyl decals. Water transfers seem rare, I've been looking around because that's what they look like in Rogue One and the new triloy

Worked on this a little over the last few days after I glued on the styrene mohawk strip and noticed the bottom of the mohawk was a bit crooked - narrow on one side and too thick on the other making the styrene strip look way off. So I shaved down one side and used Bondo to build up the other. Walter's helmet is beautiful, I'm just OCD! It’s on the bench drying after some primer this morning. Looks like I’ll need a touch more spot putty and some glue clean up on the resin Mohawk front detail, a final sand, and it'll be ready for the base coat of white. Here some pics -

IMG_2799_zps1y1gdfcx.jpg

IMG_2800_zpsdgykwwft.jpg

IMG_2801_zpsljrwtojn.jpg

IMG_2802_zpsvuciv1tg.jpg

IMG_2803_zpspoohsufr.jpg

IMG_2804_zpsyhflsjpa.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good. You do know that the seams show on the screen used helmets, without filler. Plenty of gaps, so unless you're going for the seamless look that is.

Make your own water slide decals.... its pretty easy amazon has the paper to print onto then you clear coat over it then cut and apply after the clear is set

I've made some good progress this weekend! I'm happy with the helmet now and shot a coat of white on to see how it looked, hit a few more places with sand, prep, & primer. I decided to fill the inside gap of the mohawk with fire block expandable foam so the helmet liner would sit nicely.

IMG_3695_zpssqyj8xjh.jpg

IMG_3691_zpsgtms2p8z.jpg

IMG_3690_zpstjjt9dmu.jpg

IMG_3689_zps8sm1q6tk.jpg

I bought a Rebel helmet interior kit w/ real leather ear pads from Imperial Boots. This is a really nice set up! I pre fit the edge trim and liner to see how everything looked. Worked great, but I don't like the bottom of the front mohawk detail where it meets the helmet fiberglass & liner so I'm going to add a piece of styrene to cover the gap. This was not captured in the movie so I'll take a little artistic interpretation. I want this to look & feel like what a real Rebel Pilot helmet would look like on the inside & out. The helmet stand will show most of the interior too.

IMG_3688_zpswmcxlxkq.jpg

IMG_3692_zpszpsqyoh2.jpg

Once I glue the liner kit in the edge of the liner will fit clean w the edge trim and much tighter!

IMG_3694_zpsshq7juab.jpg

Here's the part that bugs me and I will clean up with the styrene trim. After my primer drys, I'll scruff it, wipe it down, and shoot the white base coat. I had an artist friend of mine scale the decals and draw them up, they should be done here soon. I'll print them on water transfer decal paper. So a little progress for the last few weekends!

The helmet is coming out awesome!! I use the fire foam on the daily basis.. stuff isn’t cheap!

Fun fact about that foam if your ever having mice troubles in your house you can fill the cracks and holes around your foundation with this stuff

The mice will bit it and are totally disgusted by it and won’t remove any of it, keeping them out of your house! I did this all around my sisters newly bought home (the house is 70 years old) and she hasn’t had a problem since

I’ve been watching your thread and I’ve always wanted to do this project. Do you mind linking where you bought “Walters helmet” and the interior leather pieces

Did you make the black fabric piece too for inside the helmet or was that purchased as well?

Really excited to see where you go, decals or water rub ons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a link or contact information for imperial boots? I would like to get a set of those ear pads.

Nice progress so far. Looking good

Do you mind linking where you bought “Walters helmet” and the interior leather pieces

Did you make the black fabric piece too for inside the helmet or was that purchased as well?

Really excited to see where you go, decals or water rub ons
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny - I purchased the helmet "kit" from "Walter" - his RPF screen name - during his run last year. t consisted of the one piece fiberglass helmet, vac formed lenses & chin strap cup, chin strap elastic, and a 3D printed mic tip aluminum mic arm. The Imperial Boots helmet liner is a kit which consists of the leather ear pads, helmet liner with ear hoops, and a large top pad. The top pad and ear pads velcro into the liner once it's glued into the helmet. I'll use my friends decal art printed on water slide paper for the logos and hand paint the red, black, yellow, and grey. Thanks for the props!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a link or contact information for imperial boots? I would like to get a set of those ear pads.

Nice progress so far. Looking good

http://www.imperialboots.com/product/tactical-paddings-copy/

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back