Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (Post-release)

What did you think of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle?

• It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Alright, of course I'm gonna be the first to post in this thread. :D

First impressions; I really liked the film. It was funny, and adventurous and action packed. The 5 in-game cast members had really good chemistry on screen and that made it even better when you add on the fact that they're also trying to act like teenagers.
I liked the idea of "levels" and how the characters had lives as well. The music behind the film had a John Williams feel to it which made it fun to watch.

Now, about the way they handled how the game changed at the beginning.... I mean, it was cool, I just wish they would have used the real board. (As if I need to reiterate that.)
I was also kind of "eh" about the way the high school group found the game. There were no drums or lights or anything to attract their attention, or any real explanation as to why the game was in the basement of the high school in the first place. It was only found on Fridge's pure curiosity.

(I also wanna add that it's kind of hard to immerse yourself into a film when all of the characters in the real world are exclusively using Sony products.)

Okay, now onto the inside of the game. I loved how they gave it that "video game" feel by making the NPCs like REAL NPCs, i.e. set amount of dialogue and information, and ignoring other players who aren't important to the NPC.

I really liked the way the characters used their lives to their advantage to progress through the game. They began embracing their video game avatars pretty fast and had some good jokes sprinkled in here and there about being in an unfamiliar person's body.

Next up, I was really glad that they put in a reference to Alan Parrish in there. For those who have seen it, you'll know that it comes in the form of a carving in a treehouse that Alan built all those years ago, saying "ALAN PARRISH WAS HERE"

Last in-game things; I liked that the characters had a goal to meet and that when the game was over, there was a nice wide shot of the area around the jaguar statue. And then you could finally see that there were dirt paths all around the statue that form the shapes of the pathways on the original board, yet another nice nod to the original.

Post-game thoughts; I thought it was cool that the "freak house" was back to normal and that the 4 high school kids reunited with Alex, who had since grown into an adult and had children.

The one thing I was not a fan of, though, was the destruction of the game at the very end. In my personal opinion, JUMANJI is much too powerful to be defeated and smashed by a group of kids and a bowling ball. JUMANJI never dies. As such, there was no mid/after credits scene depicting who would discover the game next, which I felt was a poor decision on the writers part.

All in all, I liked the film, it was a great follow up to the original, and I hope that the legend continues sometime in the future.

I'll see it, it looks good and a solid idea, but from the trailer it does look like a wasted opportunity. Like the writers haven't really played many games. I would've liked to see the classic archetypes: tank, heals, range, melee... From the trailer it looks like the character choices are lopsided at best. No one's ever going to pick weapon caddy over "guy with no weakness who gets to do the actual fighting"

I feel there there would be more opportunities for identifiable scenarios if they'd had classes that made sense as a pc.

JUMANJI never dies.
All in all, I liked the film, it was a great follow up to the original, and I hope that the legend continues sometime in the future.

Since Jumanji never dies, it evolves into differing types of gaming as consumer trends change and evolve.
We only think it was destroyed.

Edit: The next incarnation of Jumanji could be without physical form.... kind of a robo-call telemarketing offering a get away.
If you push a button to continue you get sucked in.

Last edited:
Try this: While it was plugged in, it "uploaded" itself onto the electrical grid. A ghost in the machine. As we are now past the early, non-internet-enabled consoles of the mid-'90s, the next manifestation could be as something analogous to an app game or a Steam download or xBox Live Gold free download. Or, to maintain the >1-players model, some sort of MMO lurking in a corner of the internet waiting for someone to find and share as abandonware. So there's a thought -- would there being potentially many JUMANJIs out there, potentially trapping an unknown number of people, be a scary evolution of the curse? Or a cheapening of the core concept? But there are definitely directions it could go. We also don't know what happened to the game box Alex took the cartridge out of once he got out again back in '96. The console, with the cartridge in it, obviously still got donated to the high school (don't know how many caught that the box Fridge pulled it out of had "DONATIONS" scrawled across it), but the case was nowhere around that I saw.

Also, anyone notice that the bowling ball they crushed the console with was a Rhino? Cute.

I found the whole thing well-cast, well-acted, and pretty-well-thought-out. The only thing I didn't like wasn't the movie's fault. Way too many kids in the theater younger than I think would be appropriate for a good chunk of the humor/subject matter. What I have come to call "Bridge to Terebithia Syndrome" -- parents not researching a film before they take their second-graders to it. About ten people -- parents and kids -- had walked out before the credits rolled. I love how self-aware it is (giggled at The Rock's Eyebrow) and how much fun they obviously had (giggled at Jack Black credited as "Bethany", rather than "Professor Shelly Oberon"). Straight-up formula story, but well-executed. Formulaic doensn't have to mean bad. I'm hoping there is a good Collector's Edition that I will want to buy, and that there will be a continuation at some point.

--Jonah

I want the drums as my ringtone now, but I can't find a good isolated recording of JUST them. :cry

I just remembered, the Jumanji mobile game has a loading screen that plays the drums over and over. If someone can get into the game files and extract the audio clip, we would be set!

Though, I'm not sure if they're the exact ones from either movie.

Try this: While it was plugged in, it "uploaded" itself onto the electrical grid. A ghost in the machine. As we are now past the early, non-internet-enabled consoles of the mid-'90s, the next manifestation could be as something analogous to an app game or a Steam download or xBox Live Gold free download. Or, to maintain the >1-players model, some sort of MMO lurking in a corner of the internet waiting for someone to find and share as abandonware. So there's a thought -- would there being potentially many JUMANJIs out there, potentially trapping an unknown number of people, be a scary evolution of the curse? Or a cheapening of the core concept? But there are definitely directions it could go. We also don't know what happened to the game box Alex took the cartridge out of once he got out again back in '96. The console, with the cartridge in it, obviously still got donated to the high school (don't know how many caught that the box Fridge pulled it out of had "DONATIONS" scrawled across it), but the case was nowhere around that I saw.

Also, anyone notice that the bowling ball they crushed the console with was a Rhino? Cute.

I found the whole thing well-cast, well-acted, and pretty-well-thought-out. The only thing I didn't like wasn't the movie's fault. Way too many kids in the theater younger than I think would be appropriate for a good chunk of the humor/subject matter. What I have come to call "Bridge to Terebithia Syndrome" -- parents not researching a film before they take their second-graders to it. About ten people -- parents and kids -- had walked out before the credits rolled. I love how self-aware it is (giggled at The Rock's Eyebrow) and how much fun they obviously had (giggled at Jack Black credited as "Bethany", rather than "Professor Shelly Oberon"). Straight-up formula story, but well-executed. Formulaic doesn't have to mean bad. I'm hoping there is a good Collector's Edition that I will want to buy, and that there will be a continuation at some point.

--Jonah

I agree that just because we saw the console smashed by the bowling ball doesn't mean that it's gone. We are talking about a game that's, presumably, been around for ages, can suck people into what's essentially an alternate dimension and transform itself from a board game to a console game, and also possibly take over the console it's plugged into. So who's to say that simply smashing it will do anything permanent to it. Most likely the smashing only destroyed its physical form and it will reform itself after some time.

Like you the only problem that I had with the movie wasn't the movie's fault but the movie goers around me. I had the misfortune of having talkers in front of me, 2 of them, a man and a woman who would talk to each other periodically throughout the movie. To make matters worse, when they weren't talking the man would constantly be going, "Oh no!" or "Uh oh!" every time there was a scene where a normal person would say that, but mentally. I really wish that people would learn to shut up during a movie, if you really feel you need to talk or say something, do so quietly by whispering into the other person's ear. Better yet, wait until the movie comes to Redbox or your streaming service of choice and watch it at home where you can talk as much and as loudly as you want without bothering others.

Good god, I would tell them to shut the hell up.

I did shush them a couple of times but I'm not sure that they heard me. I did shush one couple repeatedly when I was watching The Kingsmen sequel and they got annoyed at me yet never did shut up, although they did end up leaving not quite half way and I was able to finally enjoy the movie. What made it particulary annoyihng was that my hearing is not the best and it was one of those super Dolby auditoriums with like more than twice the usual number of speakers and I could still hear them talk and it wasn't exactly a quiet movie either.

Jumanji was really fun, much better than I was expecting! However, there is something that rather bugged me. Wouldn't the kids not remember anything since the timeline went back to 1996?... Meaning they wouldn't have been sucked in the game from their memories?

I was also expecting an end scene. But then, the original gameboard hasn't been destroyed, so we can assumed it's been passed on again or lost? Only the video game got destroyed really.

Wouldn't the kids not remember anything since the timeline went back to 1996?... Meaning they wouldn't have been sucked in the game from their memories?

The game placed all players back from where they came from... But I guess you're right, 'cause in the first film, Judy and Peter don't remember anything... hm.. I wish we could ask the writers about stuff like this.

Yeah the only thing I can think of is that, maybe because Alan got rid of the game, Peter and Judy just never came upon the game. It’s possible that the guy from the new jumanji just threw the game in the bin or something which ended up at this school somehow. So either way the kids found it anyway and which made them to remember their adventures? But it’s just a bit odd x) maybe it has to be found in the new timeline again I guess? I’d imagine jumanji is creating alternate realities haha

The Mrs and I went last night as a last minute thing and were both pleasantly surprised. We really enjoyed it. The Rock did a nice job of making fun of himself and at the same time creating a sympathetic character.

Congrats to the cast and production team of Jumanji.

After three weeks in theaters they are #1.
"Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle," $36 million ($70 million international).

With Star Wars coming in third.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back