Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Wow, thanks for those Bill George images, John! Are there any more of those? And thanks for those comparison shots. Now I understand why the DOA paint I used to compare to AS-20 was so dark -- it was Grime and not Reefer White. But then I don't see any Reefer White from the DOA range.

I've therefore narrowed down my search to Archive-X --- looks like it's the definitive paint range for PG builders. There's so much in there, though. There's like 23 paints for the ANH falcon and I wanted to get the basic ones for now as I'm on a budget.

Got a question - I made some notes over a Fantastic Plastic photo of the cockpit area. I see where the Reefer White base color is now -- it's exposed by the dremelled areas. So is it the Grime that will darken the Reefer White? And there are 2 Grimes in the Archive-X range. Should I get the EX-001 or EX-002?
https://i.imgur.com/zKNDAnW.jpg

I guess this is why the 5-footer looks whiter than the 32-inch. They used Grime or 50-50 Grime and Reefer White on the 32-inch while they used straight Reefer White on the 5-footer.

Or is that actually a Daz White underneath and the Reefer White to darken it? (in which case where would the Grime be used?)

When it comes to your reefer white, that looks quite a bit like the plastic of the actual model. In essence, you could simply dremel through your base coat and expose the plastic

When it comes to your reefer white, that looks quite a bit like the plastic of the actual model. In essence, you could simply dremel through your base coat and expose the plastic

Oh you mean like this?
ddflCkg.jpg

I'm wondering though because this looks like paint on top of white on top of black. The effect of grinding the surface would create the effect easily -- maybe they used black styrene here? But in that case, what paint would the white be and what is the final paint on top? And if the final paint were Reefer White --- where is Grime used for?
F69tnKX.jpg

Oh you mean like this?
https://i.imgur.com/ddflCkg.jpg

I'm wondering though because this looks like paint on top of white on top of black. The effect of grinding the surface would create the effect easily -- maybe they used black styrene here? But in that case, what paint would the white be and what is the final paint on top? And if the final paint were Reefer White --- where is Grime used for?
https://i.imgur.com/F69tnKX.jpg
If I'm remembering things correctly, they used the cockpit cone and the radar dish from the original pirate ship model (That became the tantive 4) which means that it could very well have been white styrene, while the cockpit tube was black styrene.

I think you're right Astroboy, none of the early construction photos of the 5' Falcon I can find have the cockpit cone attached. However, it does appear that at least the front section of the cockpit was black styrene underneath.

Crackerjazz, is that darker patch under where you indicate 'Reefer White' the 'Grime' ?

10570351_910384905649080_6062954885279268674_n.jpg 1 SW May 4th 088.jpg

I think you're right Astroboy, none of the early construction photos of the 5' Falcon I can find have the cockpit cone attached. However, it does appear that at least the front section of the cockpit was black styrene underneath.

Crackerjazz, is that darker patch under where you indicate 'Reefer White' the 'Grime' ?

View attachment 775439 View attachment 775440
Good eye!

This topic needs it's own thread....

one thing I'm really noticing with this one is that there isn't a spatter technique. The 32" is covered with it, but I don't see that here. But this has FAR more chipping

...Crackerjazz, is that darker patch under where you indicate 'Reefer White' the 'Grime' ?
Hi David, I want to know what color that patch is too. Still wondering where the Grime goes -- whether it's sprayed on over the Reefer White entirely or in spots or just misted on.

one thing I'm really noticing with this one is that there isn't a spatter technique. The 32" is covered with it, but I don't see that here. But this has FAR more chipping

It's there, look at the rear engine deck. But it's nowhere near to the density of the 32 incher.

So we're all in agreement that the 5-footer base color is Floquil Reefer White from a rattle can. So what, then, is the gray color that seems to be over-sprayed all over the ship? Is that "grime"? Do we know the specific color?

Oh man!

According to the post office, they tried to deliver it today but there was no one here to sign for it. But according to the receptionist, it never came. They also claim they left a slip telling me where I can pick it up...which also didn't happen.

So lord knows what post office it's sitting at

Oh man!

According to the post office, they tried to deliver it today but there was no one here to sign for it. But according to the receptionist, it never came. They also claim they left a slip telling me where I can pick it up...which also didn't happen.

So lord knows what post office it's sitting at

Ive had that happen before. Hopefully theyll make another attempt before telling you to go pick it up.

Mine came today! Box was really banged up (was an amazon warehouse deal so this was expected), but all the sprues seem intact. Luckily the intricate pipings were in their own box and werent damaged

Ive had that happen before. Hopefully theyll make another attempt before telling you to go pick it up.

Mine came today! Box was really banged up (was an amazon warehouse deal so this was expected), but all the sprues seem intact. Luckily the intricate pipings were in their own box and werent damaged

SWEET. congrats!

I really wanted it here this weekend because I'm stuck at work for 15 hours with nothing to do.

Quick tip on decals; I apply a small 'puddle' of the Future/Pledge Multi Finish at the target location then just place the decal in it. Obviously, the surface has to be mostly horizontal so the "puddle' doesn't run off the spot. Once the decal is in place, the PMF will quickly dry and 'suck down' the decal, usually without any setting solution or MS Sol. I do recommend practicing first using a "paint pig" so you can verify all your materials are compatiable with each other. Also, plenty of cure time is also a good idea. I've had larger decals wrinkle up then smooth out, just like MicroSol can do, so be patient! If your tests went well, you can have confidence it will work.

This puddle method is more reliable than the overall gloss coat since the decal goes into the PMF while it is wet. I've overcoated with PMF once decaling is complete and then carried on with further weathering and unifying coats.

Cheers! Robert

Last edited:

Quick tip on decals; I apply a small 'puddle' of the Future/Pledge Multi Finish at the target location then just place the decal in it. Obviously, the surface has to be mostly horizontal so the "puddle' doesn't run off the spot. Once the decal is in place, the PMF will quickly dry and 'suck down' the decal, usually without any setting solution or MS Sol. I do recommend practicing first using a "paint pig" so you can verify all your materials are compatiable with each other. Also, plenty of cure time is also a good idea. I've had larger decals wrinkle up then smooth out, just like MicroSol can do, so be patient! If your tests went well, you can have confidence it will work.

This puddle method is more relaible than the overall gloss coat since the decal goes into the PMF while it is wet. I've overcoated with PMF once decaling is complete and then carried on with further weathering and unifying coats.

Cheers! Robert

To me, that method leaves sections that are just too glossy that never really blend in with dull coats. What I do is a little different with better results for my liking. I use a mix of about 50/50 Future and water to dip decals into. When they come out and go on the model, they bring a little of that solution and a little Future with them. I do this on some coats of Future--as opposed to just a flat finish--as well.
Mike Todd

To me, that method leaves sections that are just too glossy that never really blend in with dull coats. What I do is a little different with better results for my liking. I use a mix of about 50/50 Future and water to dip decals into. When they come out and go on the model, they bring a little of that solution and a little Future with them. I do this on some coats of Future--as opposed to just a flat finish--as well.
Mike Todd

Interesting. Do you still gloss coat the model before doing this?
I'm afraid of doing too many clear coats on my Falcon. I've been painting the "basic" paneling over the (dull) base coat. I've been considering doing a gloss clear before decaling, then a dull clear before weathering, then another dull clear after weathering.
I just want to try to get away with as few clear coats as possible.

Interesting. Do you still gloss coat the model before doing this?
I'm afraid of doing too many clear coats on my Falcon. I've been painting the "basic" paneling over the (dull) base coat. I've been considering doing a gloss clear before decaling, then a dull clear before weathering, then another dull clear after weathering.
I just want to try to get away with as few clear coats as possible.

Yep, I always do several coats of Future as a gloss coat. I've seen people get a fighter jet to look almost like glass with a gloss coat. I don't get anywhere close to that. I just feel like I don't see the whole effect of the Future--it still looks relatively flat--but I know I sprayed about 5 coats and so I know it's there. This is all fairly easy, too, as Future is so easy to clean out of the airbrush each time. Sometimes, I'll pause a football game for a few minutes to throw on another coat of Future--the same as I'd pause it to go to the restroom. And as was said above, always find an old bitch kit to practice on.
Mike Todd

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back