5 Foot Falcon - cockpit greeblies - anyone with reference photos?

3Dsf

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK. My first post... new here.

So it's commonly held that one of a handful of drawbacks to the otherwise awesome Bandai TFA Falcon is that the greeblies lining the top of the cockpit tunnel/cockpit tube aren't brilliant. They're perched up much too high, for one thing.

I spent a stupid amount of time wading through all the archives that people have made of exhibition photos of the 5' model, and despite insanely closeup detail shots of just about every single part of the model - the *one* area that nobody seems to have photographed close up is the top surface of the cockpit tunnel!

So I'm wondering if anybody has any good closeup shots of that area that they can share. The shot here is one of the few I can find, but it's not very close up, and it's also not looking straight down:

*image copy.jpg

On a related note, does anyone have a clear shot of the front panel of the cockpit console (i.e.: the bit at the very front that faces out the front window) of the full-size post-ANH physical set? The ANH version with blue and red lights is very clearly visible in this making-of shot:

*NDVD_079.jpg

Below is one of the few ESB making-of shots I can find, but you can't see the whole front panel.

*backstage-millennium-falcon.jpg

It looks like the TFA physical cockpit set must be loosely modelled after the ESB set, but I'd rather go by a clear view from the ESB era than the TFA rebuild, which is very much an interpretation.

dash.jpg

It's kinda goofy, since it's the most visible part of the entire cockpit interior on a model. Yet it's also part of the ship never really shown in the actual movies.

Thank you!

- nkg

Last edited:
OK. My first post... new here.

So it's commonly held that one of a handful of drawbacks to the otherwise awesome Bandai TFA Falcon is that the greeblies lining the top of the cockpit tunnel/cockpit tube aren't brilliant. They're perched up much too high, for one thing.

I spent a stupid amount of time wading through all the archives that people have made of exhibition photos of the 5' model, and despite insanely closeup detail shots of just about every single part of the model - the *one* area that nobody seems to have photographed close up is the top surface of the cockpit tunnel!

So I'm wondering if anybody has any good closeup shots of that area that they can share. The shot here is one of the few I can find, but it's not very close up, and it's also not looking straight down:

View attachment 664007

On a related note, does anyone have a clear shot of the front panel of the cockpit console (i.e.: the bit at the very front that faces out the front window) of the full-size post-ANH physical set? The ANH version with blue and red lights is very clearly visible in this making-of shot:

View attachment 664008

Below is one of the few ESB making-of shots I can find, but you can't see the whole front panel.

View attachment 664009

It looks like the TFA physical cockpit set must be loosely modelled after the ESB set, but I'd rather go by a clear view from the ESB era than the TFA rebuild, which is very much an interpretation.

View attachment 664011

It's kinda goofy, since it's the most visible part of the entire cockpit interior on a model. Yet it's also part of the ship never really shown in the actual movies.

Thank you!

- nkg
welcome to the five foot falcon madness,
there are a lot of shared images in the threads and you should be able to find them,
i think the best quality were taken by swgeek and shared with everyone.
check with him before using them
here is the link
Here's the pics I took of the Falcon, when I saw her a couple weeks ago. I hope some of these are helpful.

5foot Falcon pictures - Photobucket

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, and thanks for the link! That's the level of detail I'm seeing from a lot of folks' shots, and it's truly awesome.

Yet nobody I've seen so far has any close-up shots of the cockpit tunnel. So I'm wondering if the Falcon is always publicly displayed at a kind of jaunty zippy angle that looks really cool but which makes photography of the cockpit tunnel tube difficult!

The best I've seen of the 5' tunnel area is this collection, starting at shot 48 or so:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=42FCBD96E1F97D9B!225&cid=42FCBD96E1F97D9B

nkg, for extreme closeup coverage of nearly every inch of the 5 Footer, check out this OneDrive archive by "Steve B":

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC&id=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC!19998

Steve's coverage is in two parts, but I cannot tell you which part has the first of the 'greeblie brick road' pics (2034_SWI_9545.jpg). However they are named sequentially so you should be able to get that sorted in short order. His coverage is very thorough with 42 pix being the top of the cockpit tunnel alone... I used his images to get roughly 75% of the decals sorted out.

Hope that helps!

Regards, Robert

Thank you, and thanks for the link! That's the level of detail I'm seeing from a lot of folks' shots, and it's truly awesome.

Yet nobody I've seen so far has any close-up shots of the cockpit tunnel. So I'm wondering if the Falcon is always publicly displayed at a kind of jaunty zippy angle that looks really cool but which makes photography of the cockpit tunnel tube difficult!

The best I've seen of the 5' tunnel area is this collection, starting at shot 48 or so:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=42FCBD96E1F97D9B!225&cid=42FCBD96E1F97D9B

Yes, that particular area was tricky to get from above - for to get that angle, one would have had to get up nearly on the display box - at least when I was in San Jose taking these pictures!

Security was everywhere, also - no video or flash photography was the rule of the day...still, I had a great time with the piece.

Regards,

André

Last edited:
I can check my folder when I get home tonight; not sure if I got the top or not there but they did allow flash photography when I saw it

nkg, for extreme closeup coverage of nearly every inch of the 5 Footer, check out this OneDrive archive by "Steve B":

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC&id=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC!19998

Holy moly! Okay, so that is the freakin' motherlode.

How many Bothans died to bring us that information?

The angle of the tunnel is pretty awkward, for the clearly unavoidable reason vfxsup64 provides, but that's still pretty amazing coverage. Thank you, mysterious Steve B!

So that's one Holy Grail found. Now to see if there are any good on-set photos of the ESB front console... :)

A higher-rez shot of this would be awesome.

83939264.jpg

Or a shot of this with a bit more shadow detail.

tumblr_obgiz1EovF1s2wio8o3_1280.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if these help, are you making the Bandai as the original 5 footer or TFA digital 5 footer

P6130223_JPG.jpg

01020443_JPG.jpg

12220266_JPG.jpg

12220267_JPG.jpg

_MG_4153%202.jpg

kg_m-falcon_-004.jpg

kg_m-falcon_-002.jpg

The Digital Asset:
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-16%20at%2022.08.48.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-16%20at%2022.07.05.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-16%20at%2022.27.15.png

& the Launchbay Falcon:
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-16%20at%2022.04.55.png

J

Wow. An embarrassment of riches! Thanks, Jaitea!

And, yes, I'm going for an ESB-era 5 footer.

Jaitea! To whom do we attribute these pics? I could have used that direct overhead shot of the cockpit 'greeblie' pile for the Decal Survey. Wow! Thanks for sharing, big help.

R/ Robert

Jaitea! To whom do we attribute these pics? I could have used that direct overhead shot of the cockpit 'greeblie' pile for the Decal Survey. Wow! Thanks for sharing, big help.

R/ Robert

I honestly can't remember,....I've been collecting images for over 15 years

J

Im sorry if this question is off topic, but how does one build a 5' falcon? I have seen the 36" but not 5'. Is this a kit, or do you guys make all the parts from scratch? I love checking out this section of the forum. Its amazing what you guys do

Whoa! Okay, thanks Jaitea! That's an amazing high-res version of the ANH shot. Thank you!

Unfortunately it looks like when the set was rebuilt for ESB they completely redid the front panel, so later Falcon panels don't look anything like the ANH version. So. Tradeoffs. Do I build a ANH front panel for my ESB Falcon? Or a TFA?

large tfa.jpg

That's the replica Falcon set sold at the Harrods Star Wars thing, which is supposedly built by the same company that constructed the TFA sets using the same IP. I have to say those black boxes on the front panel look a bit... perfunctory.

The work the full-size folks are doing is pretty impressive as well. Though their front-panel greeblies and lights do look different from the photo you posted. It must be tough extrapolating from very little material...

Last edited:
Well, I should've said "for sale", not sold. :)

That said, I'm sure there are a few Chinese party bosses, Russian gangsters, American bankers and Arab sheikhs eager to take a break from oppressing the masses, and ready to splash out half a million quid on something useful like a Falcon cockpit!

Yep thats just like TFA interior:

starwars-filming-cockpit

The great CG modeller Christian Frochlich over on FB has created a fantastic 32" Falcon......right now, after a break he's begun the construction of the cockpit interior

IMG_0396.JPG

J

Last edited:
At least it would be possible to add the missing parts when (and if) the originals are 'discovered' later.

RE: the question about building a 5-footer replica: anyone attempting one is faced with building it from scratch like the original ILM modelers did as there is no kit for it. There isn't even a blueprint in an integrated form, though all the basics can be found here (and probably elsewhere.) Maruska has constructed a highly accurate 3D "form" model of the 5-footer (that is, less external details.) Though modern techniques have leveraged the ongoing research & documentation efforts to create needed components (for example, there are some parts available for purchase from 3D printing markeplace Shapeways - again, the efforts of another RPF member - at the 308 shop.)

So short answer, there is no kit for a 5 footer. Realistically, just how many folks could afford or even accommodate a displayable 5-footer? It must be made from scratch.

R/ Robert

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back