Ready Player One

Hoo boy do I have some homework...

Clue: the Movie,
The Great Outdoors,
Remo Williams,

check check and check out the rest of that list...

IN a completely different direction, if they keep the "IOI Infiltration" setup somewhat similar to the book, I'd imagine it would be a montage setup, anyone else feel like "The Invisible Man" by Queen would be a fitting score? I also thought Rush's "Freewill" would be a good credit scroller. Any other thoughts on music they's like to see in the film?

Hoo boy do I have some homework...

Clue: the Movie,
The Great Outdoors,
Remo Williams,

check check and check out the rest of that list...

IN a completely different direction, if they keep the "IOI Infiltration" setup somewhat similar to the book, I'd imagine it would be a montage setup, anyone else feel like "The Invisible Man" by Queen would be a fitting score? I also thought Rush's "Freewill" would be a good credit scroller. Any other thoughts on music they's like to see in the film?

Hey, TinyTm, BTW, for Miracle Mile, I recommend watching that first and a happier film afterwards. Trust me, it's not the kind of film you want to end a set of watching of 1980s films with.

I'm presuming that the Swordfish from Cowboy Bebop is there to replace Wade's X-wing. That's an acceptable substitution for me. Can't figure out what those speeder-things are, though.

So I recently went looking for some images and models of some of the smaller props from the book and one of the ones I "have to have" is the Cap'n Crunch whistle. Turs out theey can be had for ~$40 USD on Ebay for an original. Not out of the question of possibility.

Or:

You can make your own:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2630646

Google Image Search is a beautiful thing! Will be attempting an ABS print tonight!

Does anyone know who Cthulhu maestro is? I have zero knowledge of that character. Also, does anyone else what "full battle mode" for The Iron Giant? I wanna see the Record Player of Death thing again.

Last edited:
Does anyone know who Cthulhu maestro is? I have zero knowledge of that character. Also, does anyone else what "full battle mode" for The Iron Giant? I wanna see the Record Player of Death thing again.
I'd like to see it again. Though, I think the focus will be the kinder, gentler Giant, from what little Spielberg has said, and as well as him being voiced by Vin. I have a feeling Spielberg is a big "Iron Giant" fan and jumped at the chance to put him in here. Supposedly he had a lot of input for the relationship between Sam and Bumblebee in the first half of "Transformers", as well as between Max and Atom in "Real Steel". Also consider Teddy in "A.I." It's not difficult to spot the similarities.

All of this is full circle, since "Iron Giant" is somewhat of a love letter to Spielberg. I understand there are AI driven npc's in the book? (Haven't read it and won't until after the movie), so I'm guessing the Giant is one.

Last edited:
I'd like to see it again. Though, I think the focus will be the kinder, gentler Giant, from what little Spielberg has said, and as well as him being voiced by Vin. I have a feeling Spielberg is a big "Iron Giant" fan and jumped at the chance to put him in here. Supposedly he had a lot of input for the relationship between Sam and Bumblebee in the first half of "Transformers", as well as between Max and Atom in "Real Steel". Also consider Teddy in "A.I." It's not difficult to spot the similarities.

All of this is full circle, since "Iron Giant" is somewhat of a love letter to Spielberg. I understand there are AI driven npc's in the book? (Haven't read it and won't until after the movie), so I'm guessing the Giant is one.
I think you meant to say Ready Player One in your last paragraph, but if there's an Iron Giant book /series I don't know about then I've dropped the ball... Regardless, yes there are some A.I. Driven npcs in there, but they're far more akin to HAL than Giant. Its been spoiled on this thread before (fair warning icymi) but the Giant is a reward in the game that O.A.S.I.S. users can choose. The book is absolutely a love letter to Spielberg, but not exclusively. I personally think you're missing out on waiting to read it, as it isn't difficult nor lengthy, but you do you my friend.

Brad Bird has mentioned Spielberg as a big influence on "Iron Giant" in the past. That is what I meant by love letter to Spielberg.

I get tired of hearing my friends complain about "the book was so much better", etc. I just claim to be illiterate and stay blissfully ignorant of all the changes that happen when trying to do the impossible job of turning a book into a movie. I'm much more into cinematography and visual storytelling. I'm probably missing out, but I'm ok with that.

Happy to see Aech, Daito, and Shoto all present and accurately portrayed. Also excited to see Spike's Swordfish II in there.

I'm sure there will be several changes from the book, but that isn't always a bad thing. Ready Player One is without a doubt one of my favorite books, but it's far from perfect, and certainly has it's problematic segments. I'm confident the changes will attempt to improve things.

Sometimes movies end up being better than their source material, due to changes. Hell, Chuck Palahniuk himself said he thought the Fight Club movie was better than his book.

Awesome. Love seeing Rexy chasing Bigfoot! Ha! The first shot of the Giant Is very reminiscent of the last time we see him in "The Iron Giant". In fact, the way he's assembling looks almost like a continuation of the end of the movie. Though he still has the head dent.

Spartans! And they're alongside skeletons from the "Army of Darkness" skeleton army. Ha.

Last edited:
Awesome. Love seeing Rexy chasing Bigfoot! Ha! The first shot of the Giant Is very reminiscent of the last time we see him in "The Iron Giant". In fact, the way he's assembling looks almost like a continuation of the end of the movie. Though he still has the head dent.

Spartans!

Funny you mention that bit with the Iron Giant. For the Aech's Garage VR experience, we see him like how we see him in the trailer. I originally thought that Aech's Garage was foreshadowing the Battle of the Third Gate because of how the Giant looked in the VR experience, he he was damaged and being put back together. But, apparently, I was wrong, as we see the Giant exactly like he is in the shot of the trailer,

Looks like Wade not only rocks the Buckaroo Banzai look for Og's party, but he's even got a Team Banzai button on his jacket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm presuming that the Swordfish from Cowboy Bebop is there to replace Wade's X-wing. That's an acceptable substitution for me. Can't figure out what those speeder-things are, though.

Hey, Victor, those speeder-things are apparently IOI vehicles. You can see the IOI on the very front (the cannon residing in the middle of the O).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

more excited for this with each trailer i see, definitely a lot of changes but i don't really have any issues with any of them. one thing i noticed that i wasn't crazy about, the group of kids in full vr gear literally running down the street? what's up with that? it looked kinda cheesy and doesn't really make any sense, unless they've added some kind of "augmented reality" feature to the Oasis... unless i'm forgetting something from the book?

a little sad it seems Ultraman won't be making an appearance, which i'm assuming was probably due to licensing.

I wouldn't count Ultraman out yet. (here they come again, those blasted four words) According to the Book, Ultraman doesn't make an appearance until the last split second of the "main battle" that the High Five take part of (yes, i'm remembering Daito) so he may still make that one final appearance.

but Oh My Gawd am I ever excited for this to happen!!! Also, PantheraGem I think a nuke would put a serious dent in most heads... I'm not sure a Giant Space-Robot is immune to that. Now it's been too long since I watched the movie, so I cannot recall right now what his head looks like at the end of the movie. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the "Iron Giant: Signature Edition" if you're able. Has a few scenes that were probably wisely left out of the theatrical, but finished for this version, which is my preferred version to watch.

I am so excited for this one, this pretty much sums up everything I liked and loved in my teens :) Especialy I like that the DMC finaly get another kind of big movierole after all those years. Just hope this doesn't affect the price on a reallife car as I still am looking for one over here.

As for that new trailer, am I wrong or did I just see a BattleTech Mech in the battle scene. Looks pretty much like my favourite mech, the MadCat.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back